• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ok, So who goes ?

https://247sports.com/Player/Jace-Ruder-93569

if you're looking for a candidate i have one. Ruder is a STUD. 250 miles away from Lincoln. I'm biased because Jace is from my small hometown (proud Norton Bluejay here). I have been living in a consistent state of shock that NU has not been fawning all over this talented kid in their BACK YARD - seriously Norton is like 12 miles from the Nebraska Border. they're closer than Goodland, KS (where Brook Berringer came from) 4.46 40-time and built thick (his dad is a giant of a man as well). regardless of who is coaching at NU i wish that they would put on a full-court press for this Kid. but - to me - he seems like a dream fit for SF's offensive style.

i would love to know what @N2FL thinks of Jace Ruder

It looks like he is committed to N. Carolina, why isn't KSU all over that kid?

Lets wait until the season plays out, it always seemed TA started 58% and slowly went down towards 52%. Whereas TL seems to be doing the exact opposite.
i cant disagree and say that he looks worse than the beginning of the year, but in the last 2 games our offense has scored 17 and 14 points respectively, and one of those touchdowns was a pick-6. I'm hearing some say "tanner lee looks like he's turning the corner" well, here's to hoping he finds the accelerator.

i'm not sure that Tanner Lee should get the majority of the credit for looking better lately, our O-line has gone from abysmal to average (probably because injuries have forced Cav to play the guys that should have been there all along) and this change has really affected how tanner has looked. of course, in saying that i'm conceding that the abysmal performances early this year by TLee were not most his fault either

Would you say TA did "just fine" under Riley ?
He was what he was. But I'm also told good coaches adapt to the talent at hand so it shouldn't matter. ;)

The kid at UCF is hitting something like 70% of his passes? That's the most important aspect of the position. Neither POB nor Gebbia qualify as "dual threat" but I do think they'd be adequate enough in the mobility department in an offense like Frost's. A guy doesn't need to be able to bust a 70 yarder to be effective...as long as he keeps it often enough, successfully enough to keep the defense honest then it's mission accomplished.

It is also my understanding that SF is set in his ways of the offense he wants to run, as the stats show UCF's second leading rusher is their QB. We currently have three QBs that don't really want to run 10-15 times a game. Let's say SF is hired , do we say goodbye to all 3 ? TL will never run that offense, POB might, Gebbia is a gunslinger who would not want to run that offense. Who gives ? SF retools his playbook ? We have 3 QBs transfer and we play a JC transfer dual threat ? 2 transfer ? Or SF recruits his guy right away and plays as a freshman.
I would hope that SF, if hired, is smart enough to get to work installing his systems immediately. It is likely that would mean that TL would never play again, but POB and TG might be decent, if not fantastic, in his offense. If they are not, it would be best if they transferred and SF brought in QB's to run things as he would like them done. There is no sense in having a second consecutive new HC make the same boneheaded error and waste a year or two or three of his honeymoon.

Last edited:
What a twist that would be, to see POB go from the “odd man out / transfer candidate” to option #1.

Talk of Gebbia fulfilling this role sounds crazy to me, he is too diminuative to take those hits. Really a small guy
Lots of small guys take lots of hits and do well. Johnny Manziel is just one example.

It seems as though the SF crowd are all in on him, and for all I know he may be the next great coach.

It is also my understanding that SF is set in his ways of the offense he wants to run, as the stats show UCF's second leading rusher is their QB. We currently have three QBs that don't really want to run 10-15 times a game. Let's say SF is hired , do we say goodbye to all 3 ? TL will never run that offense, POB might, Gebbia is a gunslinger who would not want to run that offense. Who gives ? SF retools his playbook ? We have 3 QBs transfer and we play a JC transfer dual threat ? 2 transfer ? Or SF recruits his guy right away and plays as a freshman.

I really don't care what the QBs do. Our problem isn't a QB, its the coach. A good coach will figure it out.

I would hope Moos has enough of a long term vision that he wouldn't pass on potentially hiring a 20 year coach just because the current QBs on the roster may or may not fit his system. Such short-sightedness and buffoonery is why Moos is the new AD.

Preface: I am not suggesting that we should fire Riley or that Frost is the can't miss savior of Nebraska football. I am waiting until the end of the year to make up my mind. And if Riley is fired, any or all of the 3 QBs may decide to leave regardless of who the new coach will be given their ties to the current staff.
However, in response to the initial post...
Watching the UCF game from start to finish this weekend gave me the opposite opinion of Frost's offense. I kept thinking to myself that Tanner Lee could run that offense. There were a few QB designed runs, which I expect are being included only because Milton is mobile enough to run them. The UCF offense is all about spreading out the defense and getting playmakers the ball in space. They spread out running the football with 6 players at over 100 yards rushing for the year, which is why Milton is the 2nd leading rusher statistically.
Stats:
Milton Rushing: 40 out of 238 carries (~7/game), 17% of team carries (~1 in every 6) and 18% of total rushing yards. And those include QB sacks and scrambles. Called run plays are probably closer to 5-6/game, not 10-15. Plus that's knowing you have a mobile QB.
As for passing, a lot of quick reads and throws that make it easy on the QB. Even on downfield throws receivers are usually wide open in that offense.
Milton Throwing: 287 yds/game at 70% completion percentage.
You drop Lee in the UCF offense with his strong arm and (often) accuracy, he could throw for 300 yds/game as well (at 244 yds/game now).
Both in this game and earlier this year it looked like UCF threw the ball a reasonable amount early in the game and got a lead, then moved to running the ball more heavily in the 2nd half. For example, 17 passes (includes a sack) versus 20 rushes in the 1st half on Saturday and UCF only had 24 passes for the game (unofficial: I quickly used play-by-play from ESPN). Not sure how to find first half stats by game, but I think they would support my assertion since all of UCF's other games were blowouts.
I think this offense could fit the skillset of all 3 QBs we have. For Lee, shift the QB runs to RPOs. O'Brien is just as mobile as Milton to scramble and have a few QB keepers per game based on his ability to run in HS. Gebbia would fit the UCF offense to a tee because he does not have quite the arm as Lee but is used to getting athletes the ball quickly in space (see HS film).
Good post.Thanks for putting in the research and sharing with us.

Oh yeah? Did the Boise States, Hawaii's and Western Michigan's of the world have recruits knocking down their door after their top 20 seasons?

Did the above listed programs have head coaches in those programs with a National Championship appearance on their resume or coach in the middle of a HS football talent hotbed? I would venture to guess there are more potential D1 football recruits within 100 miles of UCF than within 250 miles of those 3 universities combined.

There's probably reasons he is there. I guess my counter would be why can Wazzu get them? Oregon? I get there is proximity on the west coast. But why is he willing to take a 12 hour flight to Orlando or whatever it is and not to Nebraska? Did Frost have that much better of a relationship? Why is Wisky's starting NG Polynesian? I just can't believe we weren't able to bring a single one in the first 3 years of a recruiting class with the relationships I thought were built.

The lack of official visitors in that time frame is telling. It is commonly accepted that is the first step and evidently the relationships haven't been good enough for even that to be common.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back