• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Our next five opponents

Beareye

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
Based on what I saw on Saturday, four of our five remaining regular season games are very winnable. I was getting to the point where I would have considered beating Purdue a long shot, but they just lost to Rutgers. Minnesota was tied at home with a dreadful Illinois team late in the fourth quarter. Iowa and Northwestern both looked awful on offense in a game that was 10-10 at the end of regulation.

IF we can get out of our own way and IF the players decide that they still want to compete, there is no reason we can't beat all four of those teams. I realize those may be big if's, but these are four pretty bad football teams. If we can match the intensity and execution we had in the Illinois game, I think we win all four of those games.

Penn State is an entirely different story. I don't see any scenario where we even play them close. The Ohio State beat down may look tame in comparison to this one. Penn State will basically be able to name the score. They just put up 42 on a very good Michigan defense, so I shudder to think what they might do against Diaco's scheme.

Bottom line... the team and this coaching staff have a real opportunity to finish 4-1. Anything short of that would make it very hard to justify retaining Riley and company, because it means we would have at least one more bad loss.

@Purdue - play well and this is very winnable now
Northwestern - This will be a tight game but winnable
@Minnesota - most winnable game left on the schedule
@Penn State - loss
Iowa - toss-up

Not enough to save Riley's job, as none of these wins will be memorable or of any significance.

Iowa looked really bad this weekend for sure.

Nebraska should beat them too if they play with intensity and purpose.

7-5 would probably bring Riley back for another year. I’m not sure it should bring him back, and I don’t have much faith in this team going 4-1 down the stretch. I hope they can do it.

Based on what I saw on Saturday, four of our five remaining regular season games are very winnable. I was getting to the point where I would have considered beating Purdue a long shot, but they just lost to Rutgers. Minnesota was tied at home with a dreadful Illinois team late in the fourth quarter. Iowa and Northwestern both looked awful on offense in a game that was 10-10 at the end of regulation.

IF we can get out of our own way and IF the players decide that they still want to compete, there is no reason we can't beat all four of those teams. I realize those may be big if's, but these are four pretty bad football teams. If we can match the intensity and execution we had in the Illinois game, I think we win all four of those games.

Penn State is an entirely different story. I don't see any scenario where we even play them close. The Ohio State beat down may look tame in comparison to this one. Penn State will basically be able to name the score. They just put up 42 on a very good Michigan defense, so I shudder to think what they might do against Diaco's scheme.

Bottom line... the team and this coaching staff have a real opportunity to finish 4-1. Anything short of that would make it very hard to justify retaining Riley and company, because it means we would have at least one more bad loss.
Exactly. As mediocre as 4 of these teams are, 4-1 should be our benchmark. If we lose to any of these four, i prefer it Purdue. I want this drama over.

Winnable games on the schedule yes, we have continually proven to not take control of our own destiny. We may win, but we are measuring ourselves against lower ranks and have no shot against good team, we only hope to stay within 40

I like MR, but want a hard nosed compete you butt off, blow out who you should and be in every game kinda coach

Look at Texas, poor record, right there in each game, going to be really good soon

If you judge Penn State solely by how they looked against Michigan, yeah, they will completely dominate us.

But if you also look at how they played against a mediocre Iowa team, they're as susceptible to having a bad game as anyone else.

Still, I agree that it will be almost impossible for us to beat them. Every other team on the schedule is beatable.

Iowa looked really bad this weekend for sure.

I'm usually the first to bag on Iowa, but I don't they looked too bad against NW. Offense stunk, but they still played decent defense. If it wasn't for Fant's big drop, Iowa could have won. At least it wasn't a husker-like meltdown on both sides of the ball for them. I view the game with Iowa as maybe a toss-up at best for Huskers... They get the edge in coaching, fundamentals, singularity of purpose. I don't know, we'll see where each team is. Huskers could/will/probably be playing out the string with lame duck coaching staff and be mentally checked out. A confidence-bludgeoning experience at PSU and short week to follow will not help, I'm sure.

If he wins 8 with the bowl win, that will be better than most people that saw practices predicted.

I believe *** said if we win 9 Riley should get thoughts of coach of the year.

We're young, if the players can rally and play well the rest of the year, we should keep Riley unless there is a lock home run hire out there. Right now, there isn't such a hire anyone knows of.

7-5 would probably bring Riley back for another year. I’m not sure it should bring him back, and I don’t have much faith in this team going 4-1 down the stretch. I hope they can do it.
None of us relay have a say (though collectively we do have a voice). If we have another blowout loss yet barely scrape by against 4 bad to mediocre teams I hope those in power don’t continue down the current path which clearly won’t work. With MR you might get an occasional 9-10 win season, but you’ll cycle through with 4-5-6 win seasons too when he breaks in a new QB.

If he wins 8 with the bowl win, that will be better than most people that saw practices predicted.

I believe *** said if we win 9 Riley should get thoughts of coach of the year.

We're young, if the players can rally and play well the rest of the year, we should keep Riley unless there is a lock home run hire out there. Right now, there isn't such a hire anyone knows of.
Scott Frost is a home run hire. He’s this year’s Tom Herman or Urban Meyer. You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. This “our team is young” myth has been repudiated. When it comes to FR & SO on the 2 deep we are about equal to tOSU and Wisky.

Anything less than 9 wins Riley is gone.

Riley ain’t coming back.

So many other threads to comment as such instead of coming into a thread that is actually trying to have a discussion on the final five games of the season. Why not actually try to comment on the OP instead of turning this into yet another Riley is gone thread?

Thanks

RR

Scott Frost is a home run hire. He’s this year’s Tom Herman or Urban Meyer. You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. This “our team is young” myth has been repudiated. When it comes to FR & SO on the 2 deep we are about equal to tOSU and Wisky.
He's no where near Urban status, that's just absurd.

How's Tom Herman doing? What about McElwain? Which is about where Frost is at.

Frost may be great but saying he's a home run hire right now is a guess at best. Plenty of coaches have done well for a year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back