• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Benning: 'Things are actually toughening a bit. A lot more mental accountabily'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just a couple select runs at the 1:52 mark. Orange bowl MVP. Benning managed to accumulate a 100 yard game even while sharing carries throughout all 4 quarters with 3 other NU backs in A. Green, J. Sims, and J. Mackovicka, against a stout 10-1 Virginia Tech team that finished the season ranked 13th.

Yeah, pretty average stuff.

With the log jam at I-back the dude barely got a chance, but when he did he always performed admirably.

I'm done.

Last edited:
At the start of 95 the plan actually was to RS Green, but he was just too good to keep off the field, and then when LP had his problems it was a moot point.
Bad memory on the plan to redshirt Green, who carried the ball quite a bit for a true freshman in a humiliation of Okie Light in the very first game. If there was a plan to redshirt him that you heard about, it must've been when Ahman was a sophomore in HS. That kid was so far ahead of Benning and Childs and Sims, it wasn't funny. Sure some of them looked pretty good in mop up duty, but in real games...not so much. You might recall the famous K-State game with Berringer getting almost no snaps and Turman carrying the load? The game plan was basically for Turman to hand the ball to LP, Mackovicka or Schlesinger. LP was exhausted, but did they give him a breather for Childs or Benning? Yeah, Childs got 2 carries for 0 yards and Benning got 1 carry for negative yardage. Hypothetically, if TO could've gotten the Central HS coach to loan him AG for the game, he'd have done well.

Last edited:

That pretty much covers it right there
We hear it in some form every year, but this seems different. As Sam says in his article Riley now has a lot more of his recruits on board and he is changing the routine from what it was with with players who were already here when he became HC.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_480dcb2b-4f3f-5644-bcb5-85780c88eaa1.html

I think this quote from Sam's article is important. "Guys will buy in or cash out and transfer, clearing space for better fits. Diaco is going to be his relentless self every day. I like that about him, and it’ll be helpful for an NU program where student-athletes — even the backups — are treated exceedingly well. With Diaco, you can’t take off plays or practices, or skate on off-the-field stuff. Nebraska’s defense, a spirited-but-meltdown-prone unit since joining the Big Ten, needs that kind of discipline."

I heard many times on Sharp and Benning during the Bo years how soft practices were, how lax they were. Jason Peter was especially vocal about it. Apparently, Diaco is of a different mind set when it comes to physical and mental preparation.

We hear it in some form every year, but this seems different. As Sam says in his article Riley now has a lot more of his recruits on board and he is changing the routine from what it was with with players who were already here when he became HC.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_480dcb2b-4f3f-5644-bcb5-85780c88eaa1.html

I think this quote from Sam's article is important. "Guys will buy in or cash out and transfer, clearing space for better fits. Diaco is going to be his relentless self every day. I like that about him, and it’ll be helpful for an NU program where student-athletes — even the backups — are treated exceedingly well. With Diaco, you can’t take off plays or practices, or skate on off-the-field stuff. Nebraska’s defense, a spirited-but-meltdown-prone unit since joining the Big Ten, needs that kind of discipline."

I heard many times on Sharp and Benning during the Bo years how soft practices were, how lax they were. Jason Peter was especially vocal about it. Apparently, Diaco is of a different mind set when it comes to physical and mental preparation.

I've been waiting for this type of mentally from our football program for a long, long time. The head coach of a major football program is, in essence, running a fairly large company. Actively disengaged people in an organization can ruin the culture, you have to rid yourself of these people as quickly as possible.

When the culture becomes all about winning and accountability, I think people would be surprised at how many 'bad eggs' will fall in line. Look at the Patriots, they take zero crap from anyone internally. You're either all in and helping the team win, or you're on the way out the door, about to be replaced by a 5th round draft pick who will buy in and fit the culture.

*BTW, I'm not calling Johnson a bad egg, I'm more commenting about the culture as a whole.

Last edited:
i had such high hopes for this thread thru the first 3 pages, but then it turned into a dumpster fire.

so to pile on....imo if DB is the starter on that '95 team he's all big 8. part of that is due to the dominant OL, but i don't think he was a slouch at all. Childs and Sims would have probably been all big 8 as well if they were the 'man'. that group of RBs was as good as it gets.

I agree that it is good to hear things are more rigorous. However, I don't fully believe anything DiNardo says about NU or any other school. He is somewhat of a sensationalist IMO and it serves him well in his role. If I wanted a truly objective opinion I would look elsewhere.
Plenty of others said the same thing.

OK so this may be considered blasphemy but here is my opinion on this. DB will never admit that any team was as good as the teams he was on or as tough as the teams he was on. My issue is when he talks he speaks as if he was a huge part of those teams. In reality he was a bit player on those teams. Does anyone believe that if he was the starter through his years the we go undefeated? I do not. He was at best an average college RB. In 95 I believe he was 4th string most of the year. (LP, AG, CC, and maybe even Simms were ahead) Yet to hear him talk he was the straw that stirred the drink. So he has no objectivity because if everything is not as TO did it. it is not as good.
He was better than average.
OK so this may be considered blasphemy but here is my opinion on this. DB will never admit that any team was as good as the teams he was on or as tough as the teams he was on. My issue is when he talks he speaks as if he was a huge part of those teams. In reality he was a bit player on those teams. Does anyone believe that if he was the starter through his years the we go undefeated? I do not. He was at best an average college RB. In 95 I believe he was 4th string most of the year. (LP, AG, CC, and maybe even Simms were ahead) Yet to hear him talk he was the straw that stirred the drink. So he has no objectivity because if everything is not as TO did it. it is not as good.
Damon was better than an average RB. He was on a team with exceptional talent and depth. And they were exceptionally tough. You really think in 95 we WOULDN'T have gone undeafeated with DB? With THAT line, TOMMIE at QB, Mackovicka etc.? It's not only the mid 90s teams that practiced like that, it was all of Osborne's teams. Sorry, you can't convince me running 1 station with every else standing around with their thumbs up their 4th point of contact (paratrooper term) is even remotely close to the difficulty of everyone participating in a practice with 4 stations going on concurrently.

:thumbsup: good post.
I looked and also could not find a single stat.
Let me do a little math for you since you seem challenged. There were well over 100 college teams at that time with over 100 scholarship players. On average they probably had 8 scholarship RBs. That means 800 RBs in College FB or 200 per class. If every NFL team retains an RB that's under 30 RB's who make it. An average RB rated between say #80 and #120 would not be retained in the NFL. He'd have to be somewhere in the top 30 or thereabouts. Pretty simple. You are welcome for the quick lesson in el ed level math and common sense.

Sometimes good people for no apparent reason create bad posts...

so to pile on....imo if DB is the starter on that '95 team he's all big 8. part of that is due to the dominant OL, but i don't think he was a slouch at all. Childs and Sims would have probably been all big 8 as well if they were the 'man'. that group of RBs was as good as it gets.
So, in other words, you think all 3 of these guys (Benning, Childs & Sims) were better than Ahman Green? I hope you are aware that Ahman was not all-big 8 in 1995, that was Troy Davis from ISU and David Thompson of OSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back