• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

QB Battle Update

If you had to predict right now, who will be our starting QB in the fall?

• Tanner Lee

Votes: 91 84.3%
  • Patrick O'Brien

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • Tristan Gebbia or Andrew Bunch

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
I think the last practice in the red zone was an eyeopener for both the 1 and 1a QBs, and for the WRs (they have to get free too). There still is a lot of work to be done. I'm glad we have a few more spring practices.

He's multitasking. He's practicing running routes & intercepting the ball all in the same drill. Way to go coach.

I only had a short time to try out for the team. Therefore Scott wanted me to try out for WR and DB at the same time. That decision let me know that Coach Frost is quite innovative...that he is able to think outside the box.

Last edited:
IF POB does not win the job, he will be gone in my opinion. Gebbia will be redshirting this season and be eligible the year after. Kids dont stick around with those odds these days. Of course Tanner could play hisself out of a job too. I do not believe Riley and Langs will be playing the patience game.
This is how I've seen it. I see Tanner winning the starting spot and taking it for 2 years. That leaves POB a junior before he takes over. By that time Gebbia will be a soph. If Gebbia isn't ready to take over by then he surely will be by his junior year. I just don't see POB sticking around to play one year, he's too good of a qb for that. Of course injuries could play into this at some point etc, who knows.

This is how I've seen it. I see Tanner winning the starting spot and taking it for 2 years. That leaves POB a junior before he takes over. By that time Gebbia will be a soph. If Gebbia isn't ready to take over by then he surely will be by his junior year. I just don't see POB sticking around to play one year, he's too good of a qb for that. Of course injuries could play into this at some point etc, who knows.
We're going to learn a lot about POB. He came in highly touted, but now he's entrenched in a full out QB battle (honestly, not too bad for only being a freshman). Then depending on what happens with that, he's probably going to be entrenched in another QB battle in a couple years. Not to mention the Huskers are pursuing some highly rated QB's currently in high school. If POB wants the job, he's going to have to earn it. I do love the amount of improvement he's already shown since he stepped foot on campus just over a year ago.

We're going to learn a lot about POB. He came in highly touted, but now he's entrenched in a full out QB battle (honestly, not too bad for only being a freshman). Then depending on what happens with that, he's probably going to be entrenched in another QB battle in a couple years. Not to mention the Huskers are pursuing some highly rated QB's currently in high school. If POB wants the job, he's going to have to earn it. I do love the amount of improvement he's already shown since he stepped foot on campus just over a year ago.
Absolutely Adam. I'm not trying to take anything away from POB at all, he's been very impressive with his improvement. That's the reason I see either him or Gebbia transferring, both are too good to play one year. I hope I'm wrong (it happens a lot), I'd love to hold on to all of them! Frankly it's just exciting watching a real qb competition with guys we know can throw the ball.

Last edited:
I'm not going to worry about transfers until/if they happen at all. If we have guys like POB and Gebbia unable to see the field because someone else is just that good, then that will be a good problem to have. I would bet MR and DL will have some under the radar guys in the wings who will eagerly stick around for a chance to take the reigns.

To me, even if Lee starts the next 2 years, that still sets up POB and Gebbia for a couple good years each in the limelight. If we're in the championship hunt and Lee gets NFL attention, then the prospects of a year or two at the helm might still look pretty darn good to a kid.

Lots and lots of "if" in there. But I'm excited to think of having a logjam of talented QBs pushing each other for playing time.

Ever since Frazier came along, I think a lot of Nebraska fans believe that it's ideal for a quarterback to come in and own the position for four years. It is if you have someone special like Frazier. Healthy programs don't let only two quarterbacks run with the starting job for 7 or 8 years, not unless they are all-conference caliber from their sophomore years on. Andrew Lucks and Lamar Jacksons start for their entire careers, not Taylor Martinezes and Tommy Armstrongs. I'm not saying they weren't talented or worthy of starting for a year or two, they just don't run the table for nearly a decade at any serious school.

If I'm POB and I lose the starting job to Lee for two years, I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to learn, get better, and fight like hell to win the job after he leaves. Why? Because that's my best route to the NFL. I'm going to get some of the best quarterback coaching around in an NFL type of offense, with NFL receivers all around me.

Question for AC...

Would this guy start at TE or WR for Nebraska?:

giphy.gif

Equipment manager's assistant.

No one's leaving that's any good. We just aren't used to having more than one QB in serious contention for the job. Most schools of any worth have more than one good QB. they don't leave.

Equipment manager's assistant.

Were you expecting Tom Brady?

I am not a football player. I am just an old dude having fun at a football camp.

I don't understand why you are taking this so seriously and being so critical about it.

You are a strange person.

I catch a few passes for fun and you catch a few fish for fun. But you don't see me critiquing you about it. Should I?

Starve07_R1.jpg

9HillbillyHandfishin.jpg

article-2362587-1ACBAFCE000005DC-7_634x331.jpg

article-2362587-1ACBAFC9000005DC-819_634x352.jpg

Last edited:
Were you expecting Tom Brady?

I am not a football player. I am just an old dude having fun at a football camp.

I don't understand why you are taking this so seriously and being so critical about it.

You are a strange person.

I catch a few passes for fun and you catch a few fish for fun. But you don't see me critiquing you about it. Should I?

Starve07_R1.jpg

9HillbillyHandfishin.jpg

article-2362587-1ACBAFCE000005DC-7_634x331.jpg

article-2362587-1ACBAFC9000005DC-819_634x352.jpg

Close. Brown that beard up, give him a tan, put more hair on the head, stretch him a few more inches, and lean him out about 30 or 40 pounds and you would have nailed it.

You have no problem being snarky with others, but you dislike it when you get it in return? Sounds like a you problem to me.

Ever since Frazier came along, I think a lot of Nebraska fans believe that it's ideal for a quarterback to come in and own the position for four years. It is if you have someone special like Frazier. Healthy programs don't let only two quarterbacks run with the starting job for 7 or 8 years, not unless they are all-conference caliber from their sophomore years on. Andrew Lucks and Lamar Jacksons start for their entire careers, not Taylor Martinezes and Tommy Armstrongs. I'm not saying they weren't talented or worthy of starting for a year or two, they just don't run the table for nearly a decade at any serious school.

If I'm POB and I lose the starting job to Lee for two years, I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to learn, get better, and fight like hell to win the job after he leaves. Why? Because that's my best route to the NFL. I'm going to get some of the best quarterback coaching around in an NFL type of offense, with NFL receivers all around me.

Totally old school and not the me first generation

You have no problem being snarky with others, but you dislike it when you get it in return? Sounds like a you problem to me.

There you go critiquing me AGAIN! Do you enjoy giving people free rent inside your head?

If so, therein lies the problem.

:to: "They say that people who are critical of others were raised by critical parents. They usually have anger issues and low self-esteem. Normally the critic is being driven to criticize by a repressed-and-intolerable feeling that he’s “got” what he deplores in others (in this case, a snarky attitude). I think Mr. Shark could use some mentoring!"

Last edited:

Something else to be excited about as a fan is if our starter goes down (whoever that is), we'll have a quality backup. Also, presuming our starter is Lee, in 2 years we'll have another starter ready to go right away. Actually, POB might have to beat out Gebbia at that point. Kind of makes me feel a little sorry for him, but true football players are competitors!

Absolutely spot on about having a quality backup, as you said, whoever it turns out to be.

GET TICKETS

Back