• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ozigbo-----again

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm sorry, that isn't an improvement in turn overs?

C

Ameer came to NE with fumble problems and got better not only as a runner, but with ball security with his time under Brown. Would you blame Ron Brown for the fumbles from Martinez? As we go to fewer QB runs and a run/pass ratio that ticks toward the pass, guess what, fewer fumbles. That stat is an extremely poor way of trying to judge Brown v Davis.

Ameer came to NE with fumble problems and got better not only as a runner, but with ball security with his time under Brown. Would you blame Ron Brown for the fumbles from Martinez? As we go to fewer QB runs and a run/pass ratio that ticks toward the pass, guess what, fewer fumbles. That stat is an extremely poor way of trying to judge Brown v Davis.

It's hard to argue the fact that Brown was a good RB's coach. It's also hard to argue that the backs have done a good job with ball security under Davis. So I'm trying to figure out, what is the argument?

It's hard to argue the fact that Brown was a good RB's coach. It's also hard to argue that the backs have done a good job with ball security under Davis. So I'm trying to figure out, what is the argument?

The use of that stat to say Davis is superior to Brown in coaching ball security doesn't hold water when put into context. Brown took a kid who came to Nebraska with ball security issues and made him better in that category while he also became a Heisman candidate. Davis has yet to coach a RB at Nebraska who has a history of ball security issues to prove he can make them better. Newby doesn't get near enough credit for how he was running the ball last year, that works in the favor of Davis. If we have a talent issue at this position it is 100% on Davis, it is one position where you don't need years of development to have kids ready to go.

I think the argument is now that Ozigbo is the apparent first string running back he no longer is any good because he was a little bit injured last year and didn't beat out Terrel Newby who in his own right was a highly touted recruit and very good athlete but some fans didn't like him either for some reason...

Ron Brown was a good football coach, period. That said, it is hard to be sure that he was anything special as an RB coach as he inherited Rex and Ameer when he took over the RB's. Those two, were among the most self-motivated, talented, and hardest working RB's we've ever had.

Ron Brown was a good football coach, period. That said, it is hard to be sure that he was anything special as an RB coach as he inherited Rex and Ameer when he took over the RB's. Those two, were among the most self-motivated, talented, and hardest working RB's we've ever had.
He did not inherit Ameer he recruited him. I actually remember people thinking it would not work because Ameer was a Muslim and Ron was a vocal Christian. Ameer later said that he and his family had no issue with Ron.
http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_fba00bf2-145a-5631-80bc-46ed65fc5c0e.html
Having recruited and coached Abdullah for Nebraska, Brown naturally was excited Friday when the Detroit Lions selected Ameer in the second round of the NFL Draft. He immediately phoned Abdullah, who did something you don't typically expect from a "big man."

He did not inherit Ameer he recruited him. I actually remember people thinking it would not work because Ameer was a Muslim and Ron was a vocal Christian. Ameer later said that he and his family had no issue with Ron.
http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_fba00bf2-145a-5631-80bc-46ed65fc5c0e.html
Whether he recruited him or not, he was there for most of Ron Brown's RB coaching experience. Your point is irrelevant to RB's "coaching" of running backs, which was what I was referring to. Sure, Brown was a good recruiter, no doubt about that, but that was not what I was getting at...

BTW, if you want to go on and on about recruiting being part of coaching...fine. It isn't, but you can believe what you want. Recruiting is a duty separate from coaching, though most position group coaches do recruit.

Last edited:

I don't blame Ron for any of them, I think he is a very good coach. The run/pass ratio was not that far off the past two seasons compared to previous years so that does not make up the huge difference. I am merely showing that Davis has improved the fumbles and turnovers by a significant margin. There are plenty of clips on the internet showing him working ball security drills. By the way the the poor stats go beyond Ameer as Rex was here through 2012. But for giggles lets go back 3 more years, yep I am pretty sure Davis has contributed to improving that area of the program by a good amount.

2008 31-17
2009 21-11
2010 45-16

C

Your eyes don't jive with reality. Again, reality is hard for you.
Okay. But I'll tell you this right now, Oz will never be the starter at RB. Less than three yards per carry isn't going to cut it.

Less than 3 ypc in conference. Virtually disappeared in October and November.

Last edited:

Whether he recruited him or not, he was there for most of Ron Brown's RB coaching experience. Your point is irrelevant to RB's "coaching" of running backs, which was what I was referring to. Sure, Brown was a good recruiter, no doubt about that, but that was not what I was getting at...

BTW, if you want to go on and on about recruiting being part of coaching...fine. It isn't, but you can believe what you want. Recruiting is a duty separate from coaching, though most position group coaches do recruit.
It's hard not to laugh at you sometimes.

Wrong again. Stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Last edited:

I think the argument is now that Ozigbo is the apparent first string running back he no longer is any good because he was a little bit injured last year and didn't beat out Terrel Newby who in his own right was a highly touted recruit and very good athlete but some fans didn't like him either for some reason...
No, he wasn't that highly recruited. Nebraska was the best offer he got and he jumped on it early. But you go ahead and convince yourself he'll be the starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back