• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Muddling In The Middle

I think going into the season, with Shields graduating and White abandoning the program, being in the middle would be a good expectation. Everyone in the nation thought we would be at the very bottom of the Big Ten. But unfortunately the Huskers played some of the top teams in the nation tough and pulled off some upsets...and now exceeding expectations and being in the middle isn't good enough.

After today's game NU is tied for 3rd from the bottom

Unless Altman wants to come back to his home state or somebody else of his caliber, I don't see any reason to try another hot shot mid-major or low major hire for next year anyhow. Now if Miles is still middling in the middle or bottom of the league next year then we've gotta go for the best thats out there and hope for the best.

Why do people not want to "blow up" the roster? I don't get that. If we are at a point where Miles is being talked about to be let go, that means we probably go 2-5 or worse the last 7 games. So there's two things, either you think the roster is good and you don't want to blow it up, so the coach can't be good if we finish bottom of the conference both years with said roster. Or two, the roster we have is good enough for bottom of the conference results, so who cares if it blows up?

We aren't going to get a big time coach, but what I will say is there are plenty of fish out there like Tim Miles. The closest and easiest example is Fran McCafferey. Successful multiple places and doing much better than Nebraska this year with a more youthful and less talented roster. Go look at the recruiting classes that guy has pulled in, not even close to the talent that Nebraska has. Or, you can go the Northwestern route, which is a worse job than Nebraska based on the same tradition (lack of) but tougher academic standards. They hired a former Duke assistant in Chris Collins, and while i'm not "all in" on this cat yet, I would give anything for Nebraska to be 18-4 in basketball and a spot in the tournament guaranteed in February. But would the Nebraska fan base be ok with taking an assistant from somewhere? I think that's what it would take to keep some of the roster on board honestly, because we aren't getting a known winner at this level.

What I will say is tough, is Northwestern and Iowa have a more fertile local state to pull from. But I would again point out that Iowa's classes have been worse in terms of star power and Fran is still out-playing us most years, and Northwestern still has the academics to deal with.

I won't care either way if Miles is here next year or if we replace him. But I do think it's foolish to think we can't find someone just like Miles, or an assistant at a top-tier program. Heck, I have noticed a big difference in preparation and scheme since we brought on Coach Lewis. That is a damn good coach and I hope we keep him. I'm hoping we go on a run, finish with about a .500 conference record, and Miles gives it one more go next year. I just think there's a lot more options for coach of Nebraska than people think.

Last edited:
Why do people not want to "blow up" the roster? I don't get that. If we are at a point where Miles is being talked about to be let go, that means we probably go 2-5 or worse the last 7 games. So there's two things, either you think the roster is good and you don't want to blow it up, so the coach can't be good if we finish bottom of the conference both years with said roster. Or two, the roster we have is good enough for bottom of the conference results, so who cares if it blows up?

We aren't going to get a big time coach, but what I will say is there are plenty of fish out there like Tim Miles. The closest and easiest example is Fran McCafferey. Successful multiple places and doing much better than Nebraska this year with a more youthful and less talented roster. Go look at the recruiting classes that guy has pulled in, not even close to the talent that Nebraska has. Or, you can go the Northwestern route, which is a worse job than Nebraska based on the same tradition (lack of) but tougher academic standards. They hired a former Duke assistant in Chris Collins, and while i'm not "all in" on this cat yet, I would give anything for Nebraska to be 18-4 in basketball and a spot in the tournament guaranteed in February. But would the Nebraska fan base be ok with taking an assistant from somewhere? I think that's what it would take to keep some of the roster on board honestly, because we aren't getting a known winner at this level.

What I will say is tough, is Northwestern and Iowa have a more fertile local state to pull from. But I would again point out that Iowa's classes have been worse in terms of star power and Fran is still out-playing us most years, and Northwestern still has the academics to deal with.

I won't care either way if Miles is here next year or if we replace him. But I do think it's foolish to think we can't find someone just like Miles, or an assistant at a top-tier program. Heck, I have noticed a big difference in preparation and scheme since we brought on Coach Lewis. That is a damn good coach and I hope we keep him. I'm hoping we go on a run, finish with about a .500 conference record, and Miles gives it one more go next year. I just think there's a lot more options for coach of Nebraska than people think.
I think this roster will do very well next year. If it doesn't, then we can take drastic measures.

I think this roster will do very well next year. If it doesn't, then we can take drastic measures.
You're probably right. They will be another year of growth and Jordy seems to be getting much better every game. I will say tho, that a coaching move would be easier this year to make in terms of roster turnover because the kids would have to sit out a year. Next year they could be in graduate transfer status and not have to sit out if they moved on.

You're probably right. They will be another year of growth and Jordy seems to be getting much better every game. I will say tho, that a coaching move would be easier this year to make in terms of roster turnover because the kids would have to sit out a year. Next year they could be in graduate transfer status and not have to sit out if they moved on.
I think those kids also think they are on to something special.

I think those kids also think they are on to something special.
Well I hope they figure out what it is. Iowa, Illinois, Sparty, and maybe some others are bringing in classes just as talented as who we have on the roster currently. Here's hoping the more years playing together will start paying off. Morrow injury and White transferring doesn't help, I know.

Well I hope they figure out what it is. Iowa, Illinois, Sparty, and maybe some others are bringing in classes just as talented as who we have on the roster currently. Here's hoping the more years playing together will start paying off. Morrow injury and White transferring doesn't help, I know.
I agree that recruiting will have to pick up.

I agree that recruiting will have to pick up.
It's crazy to me though that Roby and Akenten we got in on and their ratings seemed to go up so I think Miles may have a pretty decent eye for talent. Also interesting to me that Arop hasn't had much interest at all after reopening his recruitment despite his coach thinking he is all-world.

It's crazy to me though that Roby and Akenten we got in on and their ratings seemed to go up so I think Miles may have a pretty decent eye for talent. Also interesting to me that Arop hasn't had much interest at all after reopening his recruitment despite his coach thinking he is all-world.
The 2018 class needs to have something happen. Some of those we have targeted have gone elsewhere. I know its tough to continue recruiting momentum when the results on the court aren't anything special but if we can't get some good recruits in 2018, any success we have the next couple of seasons might be for naught if we don't have guys ready to step in.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, I guess Eichorst's opinion is the only one that really matters.

If a coaching change is made, I hope it goes as smoothly as possible. There are some quality young players in the program who I would really like to keep in Lincoln. I think the talent already in the program may make the job even more attractive.

Miles inherited a pretty poor roster. I do think he has an eye for talent, his staff have worked their tails off to upgrade the talent level of the roster. Had some big whiffs early but they seem to have hit their stride.

For whatever reason, the only thing consistent about Miles' Nebraska teams has been inconsistency. Nebraska has the resources there to compete now, it has to happen. What are we really even disagreeing about? Very little when you really think about it.

I don't disagree with anything that has been posted in this thread. As I said, I am torn and wouldn't be surprised if we replace or retain Miles. I do think we have great young players in the system - but that said, Miles has had difficulty retaining young talent in the past.

Maybe Husker basketball is just snakebit!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back