• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Banker's Thoughts on Firing

The fact that the firing was done over the phone and the new D.C. hired so quickly leads me to believe Riley had some sort of pressure to make a change. The AD at Oregon State was pressuring Riley to part ways with Banker for two years. Banker got new life when Riley accepted the job at Nebraska. There's little excuse for getting 62 hung on you by Ohio State and zero excuse for allowing Iowa to embarrass your defense.He had to understand he was on the hot seat.

Tom Osborne would have resigned himself before he fired a coach with 20 years of service over the phone. Just saying.

While probably true, it was a different time. He would have had more than 3 seconds before word would leaked to the entire world. He would have had at least until the next morning, even if Diaco showed up and started putting his pictures on the wall of Bankers office. The odds of Banker finding out he was fired via a tweet or Footballscoop.com were 0.

While a phone firing isn't the optimal method, I don't think any of us are privy to the private conversations Riley and Banker have had the last month or two. We have no idea how much, if any, advance warning Banker may have received. I doubt that Riley will ever publicly discus it and if he was given advance notice, I doubt banker will now disclose it.

Lets all of us just move on. There's nothing to see here.

This is one of the many reasons Mark Banker was fired. He did not establish relationships with his players. They did not like him.

"He also discusses his relationship — or lack of one — with defensive coordinator Mark Banker, someone McMullen says he never spoke with throughout their shared time in Lincoln."

On his relationship with Mark Banker:
"I don't badmouth anybody. But I have never talked to him. I've seen him, tried to speak to him. Nothing ever really resonated. Coach John Parrella has been there a few weeks, and we probably talked six, seven, eight times over the last few weeks. Same with Coach Riley. Coach Banker has been there over a year, and I never even saw him, never received a text, a call, anything.

"I'm an adult. I don't really get hurt about too many things, especially not if someone isn't reaching out. To me personally, it's more that it would be nice for a defensive coordinator to at least show some appreciation or level of respect for an individual."

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/tbl-in...cle_5a223622-080e-11e6-8893-f7d0ed63d783.html

Good riddance to Mark Banker.

Last edited:

Agreed. He was at the airport about to head to Tulsa to do an in-home with Kamren Curl. What is Riley supposed to say? "Hey Mark, I need you to skip that in-home we've been planning for two weeks and fly back to Lincoln immediately instead. I can't tell you why. I'll let you know when you get here."

Come on.

You can't let Banker get on a plane to see a recruit when you know you're going to fire him. It would look even worse if you let him make the trip, and then fire him when he got home.

The phone call is made to tell him not to go. Obviously Banker's first question is going to be why not get on the plane. Like it or not you have to answer, and if you've been friends for 20 years, he deserves a truthful answer. Give Banker a little time to reflect and he will understand why things happened the way they did.

Agreed. He was at the airport about to head to Tulsa to do an in-home with Kamren Curl. What is Riley supposed to say? "Hey Mark, I need you to skip that in-home we've been planning for two weeks and fly back to Lincoln immediately instead. I can't tell you why. I'll let you know when you get here."

Come on.
Don't buy that for a second. This is a guy that's been a friend and loyal employee for 20+ years. Riley could of jumped on one the private planes and met him in Denver. This wasn't Riley's sole call, he's got more class than that (I think). Diaco hired two days later? This screams of a lot of activity going on behind the scenes and the word quickly coming down of a change.

Last edited:
Don't buy that for a second. This is a guy that's been a friend and loyal employee for 20+ years. Riley could of jumped on one the private planes and met him in Denver. This wasn't Riley's sole call, he's got more class than that (I think). Diaco hired two days later? This screams of a lot of activity going on behind the scenes and the word quickly coming down of a change.

There's a reason for that. Your tin foil hat is on too tight.

I guess Banker doesn't realize that MR gifted him over a $million in salary over the past two years that he did not have to. It is OK to be hurt, but don't bite the hand that fed you for years...just go away a rich man.

It seems that some of the same people that want Riley fired after 2 lackluster years are harping on him for firing his DC after 2 lackluster years.
I don't think those people exist. But regardless, apropos of the thread topic -- are you saying those people want Riley to be fired over the phone?

The inconsistency that actually exists is, certain fans who would never dream of firing an HC after three seasons are now lauding the firing a DC after two seasons. He didn't even have a chance to get his players in! One might argue. IMO HCs aren't different enough from DCs for it to make sense to have standards so wildly different like that. Riley made a reasonable move here, just like firing Riley after three seasons is reasonable too if he doesn't finish top 30 next season.

Last edited:

I have no doubt that things were done behind the scenes, but I doubt the Husker Illuminati were behind it. It was more likely a case of someone better being made available, and the details being worked out prior to firing Banker. Had the deal fallen through, Banker would probably still be the D.C.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back