• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Gut Reaction to Mark Banker Being Fired

Do you agree with Mark Banker being fired?

• Yes

Votes: 83 96.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters

Yep. I'd be shocked if this came from Eichorst.
Did ADSE mandate this? Probably not.

Was he involved in the discussion? Did he prompt the issue? That I would not be shocked about.

I suspect ADSE has daily discussions with HCMR on what he needs to maximize success for the program. Some of those discussions HAVE TO be about HCMR's staff and making sure he HCMR is surround by the best possible staff.

If this came down from Eichorst, which I really doubt, then the program is in real trouble. When you have non-football people meddling in the program over the football leadership (see Al Davis), things aren't going to end well.

I would agree with SoCal (which I can't believe I just wrote) that revolving door coaching is not good for program stability. That has to be weighed though against keeping a coach who seems to be nothing specially strategically or in recruiting.

I would agree that it is weird that he hired Banker in the first place given that he was fired 2 years later

If this came down from Eichorst, which I really doubt, then the program is in real trouble. When you have non-football people meddling in the program over the football leadership (see Al Davis), things aren't going to end well.

I would agree with SoCal (which I can't believe I just wrote) that revolving door coaching is not good for program stability. That has to be weighed though against keeping a coach who seems to be nothing special either strategically or in recruiting.

I would agree that it is weird that he hired Banker in the first place given that he was fired 2 years later

I don't think so at all. Riley assembled a staff he knew, and they knew him. He was going to an entirely different program, with far great expectations, much different history, and playing in a very different conference. He went with comfort and trust to help with the transition. Well, it's officially not a transition and it's not about building a conference championship program. Things will need to move quick, we don't have 10 years to get a feel for things, results are expected and Mike isn't going to fail to deliver. Banker isn't a poor DC, but he isn't as good as we need to elevate the program, and that's why the decision was make. I can all but guarantee you didn't have SE calling Riley saying, 'Mike, we really want a bigger splash on defense', to which Riley is supposed to have answered, 'Gee, I really thought Mark hand them playing pretty good'.

This very nice man, who also happens to be a football coach, is very sharp and very competitive.

Dead on.

I don't think so at all. Riley assembled a staff he knew, and they knew him. He was going to an entirely different program, with far great expectations, much different history, and playing in a very different conference. He went with comfort and trust to help with the transition. Well, it's officially not a transition and it's not about building a conference championship program. Things will need to move quick, we don't have 10 years to get a feel for things, results are expected and Mike isn't going to fail to deliver. Banker isn't a poor DC, but he isn't as good as we need to elevate the program, and that's why the decision was make. I can all but guarantee you didn't have SE calling Riley saying, 'Mike, we really want a bigger splash on defense', to which Riley is supposed to have answered, 'Gee, I really thought Mark hand them playing pretty good'.

This very nice man, who also happens to be a football coach, is very sharp and very competitive.

good post

I'm conflicted. Part of me loves that Riley is willing to do what it takes to win now and he seems to understand that up to this point hasn't been good enough. But I'm concerned that we've fired 3 coaches in 2 years, that's not a very good sign and it makes me question his judgement to begin with. I understand things are different here in Nebraska than Oregon State, but he should have known that before he got here. I feel like this learning curve he has is bigger than it should be. Either he's not showing his staff the same patience I'm saying we should show him, or he made some big mistakes in the beginning and now we have to try to straighten them out. This firing may or may not have been necessary, but it's concerning to me because it shows how unstable the program is right now. I was also surprised at the timing of it, that really caught me off guard. I would have thought it would've happened right after the bowl game or maybe before the bowl game, like the special teams coordinator. The timing of the firing has me concerned, because it must have to do with recruiting, which is obviously kind of a big deal. I will say this, I'd expect and sure hope he already has a replacement DC in mind.

I will say this, I'd expect and sure hope he already has a replacement DC in mind

Just like when MR relieved Read of his duties he had the new target on staff within a week, I suspect we hear something about the new DC by Monday to ensure he has time to hit the trail and meet all those defensive recruits.

I'm conflicted. Part of me loves that Riley is willing to do what it takes to win now and he seems to understand that up to this point hasn't been good enough. But I'm concerned that we've fired 3 coaches in 2 years, that's not a very good sign and it makes me question his judgement to begin with. I understand things are different here in Nebraska than Oregon State, but he should have known that before he got here. I feel like this learning curve he has is bigger than it should be. Either he's not showing his staff the same patience I'm saying we should show him, or he made some big mistakes in the beginning and now we have to try to straighten them out. This firing may or may not have been necessary, but it's concerning to me because it shows how unstable the program is right now. I was also surprised at the timing of it, that really caught me off guard. I would have thought it would've happened right after the bowl game or maybe before the bowl game, like the special teams coordinator. The timing of the firing has me concerned, because it must have to do with recruiting, which is obviously kind of a big deal. I will say this, I'd expect and sure hope he already has a replacement DC in mind.

I don't necessarily think it has mostly to do with recruiting, although it could. I'm sure that Riley and his staff have ongoing discussions about all aspects of the football program. It could just be that Riley has a vision for where the defense should move going forward that Banker just doesn't share. If you have philosophic differences with your boss, but your work is above reproach, your boss may be inclined to ignore the differences. Banker's work has not been above reproach.

GET TICKETS

Back