• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The Value of Having the Right QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another determining factor in this will be the play calling... Will beck help Tommy with a package that will allow him to showcase his assets..
Beck seems to be a very confused man smitten by the fancy play bug, and committed to mixing things up, and speeding up play, without a plan on how to do it effectively against the days' opponent.

Last edited:

Beck seems to be a very confused man smitten by the fancy play bug, and committed to mixing things up, and speeding up play, without a plan on how to do it effectively against the days opponent.

They should make him watch repeats of Penn St, Minnesota and Stanford. Play to your strengths. Make them stop what works.

We just pulled out a miracle vs a depleted NW team while scoring 14 offensive points and TA nearly giving the game away on an awful pass that even a fresh. shouldnt make. That last int he threw was as bad/worse than any I've ever seen from TM. Nor do I buy the suggestion the D's improvements have anything to do with who is qb. The D was incredibly young and it's only natural that they somewhat progress as they gain experience.

Ameer has been the only consistent facet of an underachieving/injured offense IMO. If it wasn't for Abdullah this O would be in deep trouble. That being said, if someone told me before the season Martinez would suffer multiple injuries and miss 75%-ish of the season, I'd question Neb chances to make a bowl.

We just pulled out a miracle vs a depleted NW team while scoring 14 offensive points and TA nearly giving the game away on an awful pass that even a fresh. shouldnt make. That last int he threw was as bad/worse than any I've ever seen from TM. Nor do I buy the suggestion the D's improvements have anything to do with who is qb. The D was incredibly young and it's only natural that they somewhat progress as they gain experience.

Ameer has been the only consistent facet of an underachieving/injured offense IMO. If it wasn't for Abdullah this O would be in deep trouble. That being said, if someone told me before the season Martinez would suffer multiple injuries and miss 75%-ish of the season, I'd question Neb chances to make a bowl.

Good post, other than the bowl comment (all decent teams make bowl games now), which is a matter of opinion, you are dead on.

Damon Benning agrees with Houston Nutt.

I agree with both of them. Is Tommy the "right" QB for NU right now...the one that gets the entire team playing its best football? I can't prove it with any tangible facts, because it is based upon intangible qualities....but sure I think so.

I listen to satellite radio when I am driving...mostly to channel 91, which is the college sports channel. It is 100% talk radio with 90% of it being college football this time of year. There are a variety of talk-show hosts throughout the day and each is assisted by a CF analyst. One of the analysts, I believe it was Houston Nutt, the former Arkansas football coach, said something quite profound. It is something that seems to apply to our Husker team.

Coach Nutt said " A COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM IS COMPOSED OF 21 FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND A QUARTERBACK. THE RIGHT QUARTERBACK MAKES THE ENTRE TEAM PLAY BETTER."

Our defense seems to play better with TA and RKIII at the helm, and the rhythm and the flow of the offense seems to be better as well. I think Houston Nutt's observation is true, and I believe that TA and RKII are the QBs that help the Huskers play their best as a team.

Here's hoping that a QB star is born today in the BIG House. A QB that will lead our team to the first victory over a Hoke-led team in Ann Arbor.

It won't be easy. It will take a great effort by the entire team, but I think we can do it with TA & RKIII. Many will argue that a healthy TM is our best option due to his skills and experience, but what TA & RKIII lack in skill & experience is overcome by their ability to lead and inspire.

A Husker victory over the Wolverines will take some pressure off Bo and his staff. With a win, the Husker nation will focus on the possibility of beating MSU in Lincoln and then going on to win the division. Boy, I would really like to see that happen.

This is a huge game for Bo's football program in terms of fan support, but I think he has the right QB combo to get it done. I expect the entire team to play with their hair on fire today...and if adversity comes about, I have the feeling they will be able to overcome it.

OK, Huskers, LETS DO THIS!

:huskerflag:
Don't you mean a Hoke-um team!

We should have had a minimum of two more scores in the NW game. Drives cut short by interceptions and penalties. It never should have come down to a Hail Mary.

I agree about the defense. Don't think the QB really matters to them, except holding onto the ball and using the clock.

I disagree. TM had a 21-3 lead against UCLA and a 10-0 lead against Minnesota, but the defense did not come through in those two games. Against NW we had a 21-7 deficit, and the defense stepped up and gave us a chance to make a comeback. Why does our defense get pushed around when TM is playing and not when TA is playing? You may not feel there is a connection, but I do.

Against NW, our defense endured 3 interceptions by TA and 1 by RKII, but they didn't fold. Now put our defense in the same situation where TM throws 4 interceptions. How would our defense react to that? They tolerated it with Tommy and RKII, but would they tolerate if TM did it?...the one who seems to have earned irrefutable tenure under Bo regardless of how ineffective he can be?

It's kind of like the "Win one for the Gipper" syndrom .... I think the kids on our team really like Tommy, and they feel better about the game when he is playing. The team may not be cognizant of the affect that Tommy has on them....it is probably a sub-conscious thing, but it is happening. Coach Beck said that Tommy has the "IT" factor. He did not say that about TM or RKIII. That "IT" factor can have a positive affect the entire team. Just MHO

Maybe the defense feels that TA should have been the starter over TM all along, and they are more willing to play tough when Tommy is in there. Who knows?. But to me is it quite evident that defense plays with more resolve then TA is playing.

Last edited:
Beck cant seem to get a grip on the QB, one way or the other. TA can roll and throw, so make him stand in the pocket and get kilt. It was Tmart who couldn't roll and throw. GOT IT?:thumbsup:

We should have had a minimum of two more scores in the NW game. Drives cut short by interceptions and penalties. It never should have come down to a Hail Mary.

I agree about the defense. Don't think the QB really matters to them, except holding onto the ball and using the clock.

I think TA strength is the option, and he is a tougher runner than TM. So when the QB keeps, TA is more likely to get another 1-2 yards after contact (TM went down easily with contact, but was fast as hell if he hit a crease. Healthy TM is more likely to break a long run, but he's not healthy, and has no explosion, and he can't make up for it with good decision-making.).

So by getting those little extra 1-2 YAC, TA helps keep us on schedule, helps move the chains, helps grind out drives, milk clock.

How can QB play affect the defense? By getting first downs, at least getting 1-2 first downs on each drive, to keep the opponent's on the long field, and give the defense a little rest. I think TA has done that. We have fared better in the field position battle when TA has been at the helm.

Beck cant seem to get a grip on the QB, one way or the other. TA can roll and throw, so make him stand in the pocket and get kilt. It was Tmart who couldn't roll and throw. GOT IT?:thumbsup:
Well, it's difficult. With TM you could run the ball from the Spread or Option, and he threw as well as any QB on the roster.

Now, Beck has to figure out what TA does best, and how to utilize that within the offense. You can't keep switching them in and out. The defenses have paid attention to the tendencies. You have to put him in the pocket once in a while, otherwise you're limiting the offense and your best weapons.

I'm very ambivalent about this tendency that Beck has for coming out for a series or two and just throwing the football. I understand the need to keep the defense honest, but I'd rather see a more incisive approach so you do keep the defense off-balance.

Throw on first down. Then if you miss it, don't go to the pass every down. Mix it up. Throw that pass on second down and short. Try to pop a big play.

I think TA strength is the option, and he is a tougher runner than TM. So when the QB keeps, TA is more likely to get another 1-2 yards after contact (TM went down easily with contact, but was fast as hell if he hit a crease. Healthy TM is more likely to break a long run, but he's not healthy, and has no explosion, and he can't make up for it with good decision-making.).

So by getting those little extra 1-2 YAC, TA helps keep us on schedule, helps move the chains, helps grind out drives, milk clock.

How can QB play affect the defense? By getting first downs, at least getting 1-2 first downs on each drive, to keep the opponent's on the long field, and give the defense a little rest. I think TA has done that. We have fared better in the field position battle when TA has been at the helm.
Doc, please! Lets' be honest. Tommy has his limitations, and he's still a Freshman. He may well be the best QB of the Pelini era, but he's not there yet, and handing the ball back to the opponent for easy scores puts way more pressure on the defense.

I disagree. TM had a 21-3 lead against UCLA and a 10-0 lead against Minnesota, but the defense did not come through in those two games. Against NW we had a 21-7 deficit, and the defense stepped up and gave us a chance to make a comeback. Why does our defense get pushed around when TM is playing and not when TA is playing? You may not feel there is a connection, but I do.

It's kind of like the "Win one for the Gipper" syndrom .... I think the kids on our team really like Tommy, and they feel better about the game when he is playing. The team may not be cognizant of the affect that Tommy has on them....it is probably a sub-conscious thing, but it is happening. Coach Beck said that Tommy has the "IT" factor. He did not say that about TM or RKIII. That "IT" factor can have a positive affect the entire team. Just MHO

Maybe the defense feels that TA should have been the starter over TM all along, and they are more willing to play tough when Tommy is in there. Who knows?. But to me is it quite evident that defense plays with more resolve then TA is playing.
I suppose you could try to a make that correlation, but the fact is that they were a very young defense against UCLA and the offense bogged down and kept giving UCLA the ball near midfield.

Against MN, the defense was presented with a different approach from an offense that they hadn't learned how to handle.

The so-called it factor has sadly not been in evidence TA's last two starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back