• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The Value of Having the Right QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
I listen to satellite radio when I am driving...mostly to channel 91, which is the college sports channel. It is 100% talk radio with 90% of it being college football this time of year. There are a variety of talk-show hosts throughout the day and each is assisted by a CF analyst. One of the analysts, I believe it was Houston Nutt, the former Arkansas football coach, said something quite profound. It is something that seems to apply to our Husker team.

Coach Nutt said " A COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM IS COMPOSED OF 21 FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND A QUARTERBACK. THE RIGHT QUARTERBACK MAKES THE ENTRE TEAM PLAY BETTER."

Our defense seems to play better with TA and RKIII at the helm, and the rhythm and the flow of the offense seems to be better as well. I think Houston Nutt's observation is true, and I believe that TA and RKII are the QBs that help the Huskers play their best as a team.

Here's hoping that a QB star is born today in the BIG House. A QB that will lead our team to the first victory over a Hoke-led team in Ann Arbor.

It won't be easy. It will take a great effort by the entire team, but I think we can do it with TA & RKIII. Many will argue that a healthy TM is our best option due to his skills and experience, but what TA & RKIII lack in skill & experience is overcome by their ability to lead and inspire.

A Husker victory over the Wolverines will take some pressure off Bo and his staff. With a win, the Husker nation will focus on the possibility of beating MSU in Lincoln and then going on to win the division. Boy, I would really like to see that happen.

This is a huge game for Bo's football program in terms of fan support, but I think he has the right QB combo to get it done. I expect the entire team to play with their hair on fire today...and if adversity comes about, I have the feeling they will be able to overcome it.

OK, Huskers, LETS DO THIS!

:huskerflag:

Last edited:

No argument here, TA looks smooth and I for one would like him and RKIII to finish the season.

Its a worn out argument (most are) but I agree. I think TA bounces back today and plays really well!

Another determining factor in this will be the play calling... Will beck help Tommy with a package that will allow him to showcase his assets..

Another determining factor in this will be the play calling... Will beck help Tommy with a package that will allow him to showcase his assets..

Agree. Michigan will try to blitz him a lot is my guess. Best to avoid the drop back pass plays as much as possible. The right offensive game plan will certainly be a factor. We need to play to our strengths. Hopefully Beck has figured out what those are.

Nerves could be a factor for Tommy and RKIII. There are not many home field advantages as big as Michigan's. I could see it being hard for the youngster to feel comfortable on such a big stage, but I think he can do it.

Hopefully Tommy will just view it as a great opportunity and enjoy the moment. If Tommy wins, he'll get a great boost of confidence and the entire team will have a great outlook going into the MSU game.

The more I think about it, the more I see how critical this game is. A win gives us a chance to salvage a good season and it would get the fans back on board with Bo.

A loss would basically ruin the season and it might raise the angst of the fans to another level.

It's a Big game, for sure.

Last edited:
You have to have a very capable quarterback to win the big games, and he has to avoid costly mistakes.

Texas hasn't been the same since Colt McCoy
OU hasn't been the same since Josh Heupel
aTm was a joke before Manziel
Florida hasn't been the same since Tebow
USC hasn't been the same since Leinert
Nebraska hasn't been the same since Crouch

Most D1 programs have an average QB, and as a result most D1 teams are...average.

Taylor Martinez shocked the college football world his freshman year with his outright SPEED and QUICKNESS. Due to severe ankle sprain and some lingering toe issues, those elements are gone. So he is an average QB.

Ron Kellogg is average at best.

Tommy Armstrong...the jury is still out. He shows leadership and some quickness, not necessarily speed. His arm strength is good, and puts a nice touch on his passes. Decision making so far looks very average.

Nebraska won't be Nebraska again until a new GREAT quarterback emerges. It could be Armstrong, it could be Stanton, but it might not happen for another decade or two - who knows?

Tommy Armstrong...the jury is still out. He shows leadership and some quickness, not necessarily speed. His arm strength is good, and puts a nice touch on his passes. Decision making so far looks very average.

Nebraska won't be Nebraska again until a new GREAT quarterback emerges. It could be Armstrong, it could be Stanton, but it might not happen for another decade or two - who knows?

Agree with this. Armstrong is still learning. Who knows how he will develop? Martinez has played the two better teams of our schedule so far and I think its easy to just say the team plays better with TA at the helm. They might, but its hardly a fair comparison. I just want to see the team play smart and physical.

Watching Armstrong the All-American boy run the option game got me excited. He not only has some wiggle, but he possesses the faints, fakes and pitching ability that few have in today's pass happy game. Then the defense adjusted and we went to the pass. That's all fine and good, but we really didn't return to Armstrong's strength. The option game. Just sparingly.

Defenses don't see that game too often anymore. They still have their problems with it. It was working well and then we reverted to the passing game and dished out three ints. We were fortunate not to lose the game. Armstrong will get better with his reads, but he's already good at option football. Don't forget to come back to the old game now and then coach Beck. I know your a passing coach but this line and Tommy boy are built for other things. When that power option game is clicking the play action game sees single coverage.

Armstrong was built to run the option and play action schemes. The rest of the passing game will come, but play to your strengths first. :2cents:

You have to have a very capable quarterback to win the big games, and he has to avoid costly mistakes.

Texas hasn't been the same since Colt McCoy
OU hasn't been the same since Josh Heupel
aTm was a joke before Manziel
Florida hasn't been the same since Tebow
USC hasn't been the same since Leinert
Nebraska hasn't been the same since Crouch

Most D1 programs have an average QB, and as a result most D1 teams are...average.

Taylor Martinez shocked the college football world his freshman year with his outright SPEED and QUICKNESS. Due to severe ankle sprain and some lingering toe issues, those elements are gone. So he is an average QB.

Ron Kellogg is average at best.

Nice Post! You are absolutely correct! All of NU's great teams had excellent QBs. Look at the top teams in the nation today...they all have great QBs...Alabama, FSU, tOSU, & Baylor. The team that almost beat Alabama this year (aTm), did it with a great QB.

Today NU will need solid QB play to win...it does not have to be great, but needs to be good. Tommy & RK can do it.

Last edited:
Agree with this. Armstrong is still learning. Who knows how he will develop? Martinez has played the two better teams of our schedule so far and I think its easy to just say the team plays better with TA at the helm. They might, but its hardly a fair comparison. I just want to see the team play smart and physical.

I've speculated the team might play better with TA than TM, and the defense does seem to be playing better. But it's impossible for outsiders to say if it's TA's leadership or them trying harder because they know there's a rFR QB in, or even just the weaker teams as you said.

It's ok to speculate about it. But until I see some actual evidence I'll reserve judgment on our QBs' relative abilities to inspire the team.

Nice Post! You are absolutely correct! All of NU's great teams had excellent QBs. Look at the top teams in the nation today...they all have great QBs...Alabama, FSU, tOSU, & Baylor. The team that almost beat Alabama this year (aTm), did it with a great QB.

Today NU will need solid QB play to win...it does not have to be great, but needs to be good. Tommy & RK can do it.

All the teams mentioned also have another factor...a very very good D.
Baylor's Def is nasty

Watching Armstrong the All-American boy run the option game got me excited. He not only has some wiggle, but he possesses the faints, fakes and pitching ability that few have in today's pass happy game. Then the defense adjusted and we went to the pass. That's all fine and good, but we really didn't return to Armstrong's strength. The option game. Just sparingly.

Defenses don't see that game too often anymore. They still have their problems with it. It was working well and then we reverted to the passing game and dished out three ints. We were fortunate not to lose the game. Armstrong will get better with his reads, but he's already good at option football. Don't forget to come back to the old game now and then coach Beck. I know your a passing coach but this line and Tommy boy are built for other things. When that power option game is clicking the play action game sees single coverage.

Armstrong was built to run the option and play action schemes. The rest of the passing game will come, but play to your strengths first. :2cents:

Armstrong is a more natural runner than TM, but I watched Northwestern for the first time last night. When he keeps the ball it is all good, but in the first half, he made two pitches that you all would have crucified Martinez for. One was on the second series, where he got quick pressure and blindly pitched the ball high and in front if Abdullah. Only a great save by Abdullah prevented a fumble. Later, he again pitched blindly and it was behind Abdullah. I only remember one pitch that was perfect. I really think you all are seeing what you want to see there because Martinez is just serviceable now that he can't run.

I've speculated the team might play better with TA than TM, and the defense does seem to be playing better. But it's impossible for outsiders to say if it's TA's leadership or them trying harder because they know there's a rFR QB in, or even just the weaker teams as you said.

It's ok to speculate about it. But until I see some actual evidence I'll reserve judgment on our QBs' relative abilities to inspire the team.

OK, noted. What does the "right" QB have that affects the play of the entire team? I alluded to leadership and inspiration. Maybe they have the ability to create more faith, or promote a more positive attitude. I do not have the exact answer to that question. But whatever it is, I think TA has much more of it than TM does.

Did our defense play well in any games this year when TM was our starter? I don't recall any.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back