• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Matt Hayes, Sporting News can't believe Pelini is still here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brilliant answer! Just like all the other questions I've asked that you never answered.

Speaking of which... cm, I still want to hear what you think of Bo's performances in the big games I pointed out. You asked what our big games were since we joined the B1G...

I would say Wisconsin in 2011, who finished the season #11 and #10. We lost 48-17.

I would say Michigan in 2011, who finished the season #9 and #12. We lost 45-17.

I would say South Carolina in 2011, who finished the season #8 and #9. We lost 30-13.

I would say Ohio State in 2012, who finished the season #3. We lost 63-38.

I would say the B1G Championship game against Wisconsin in 2012, who finished #23. We lost 70-31.

I would say Georgia in 2012, who finished the season #4 and #5. We lost 45-31.

In terms of wins, in 2011 we beat Michigan State who finished #10. In 2012 we beat Northwestern who finished #16 and Michigan who finished #24.

IMO those are all the big games we've played since joining the B1G. That's 6 embarrassing losses and 3 wins that aren't all that impressive. I didn't include this year because I want to see where UCLA ends up in the rankings. If they end up being a quality team, then I'd include them on here and it's another embarrassing loss. As it is, I didn't include any of our inexplicable losses to teams that don't even end the season ranked.

Last edited:
Brilliant answer! Just like all the other questions I've asked that you never answered.

Speaking of which... cm, I still want to hear what you think of Bo's performances in the big games I pointed out. You asked what our big games were since we joined the B1G...

I would say Wisconsin in 2011, who finished the season #11 and #10. We lost 48-17.

I would say Michigan in 2011, who finished the season #9 and #12. We lost 45-17.

I would say South Carolina in 2011, who finished the season #8 and #9. We lost 30-13.

I would say Ohio State in 2012, who finished the season #3. We lost 63-38.

I would say the B1G Championship game against Wisconsin in 2012, who finished #23. We lost 70-31.

I would say Georgia in 2012, who finished the season #4 and #5. We lost 45-31.

In terms of wins, in 2011 we beat Michigan State who finished #10. In 2012 we beat Northwestern who finished #16 and Michigan who finished #24.

IMO those are all the big games we've played since joining the B1G. That's 6 embarrassing losses and 3 wins that aren't all that impressive. I didn't include this year because I want to see where UCLA ends up in the rankings. If they end up being a quality team, then I'd include them on here and it's another embarrassing loss. As it is, I didn't include any of our inexplicable losses to teams that don't even end the season ranked.
silly you. none of those games matter because we won 9 games.

orry, I'll connect the dots for you:

Generate controversy --> receive hits on story --> renew contract

A "don't fire Bo" story isn't going to get many hits because (a) that's the boring answer, and (b) Bo proponents aren't going to point to Stewy or Hayes and say: "SEE SEE we should listen to these guys." Those articles would be swept aside fairly quickly.

So, they write stuff that will be argued about.

A "don't fire Bo" story isn't going to get many hits because (a) that's the boring answer, and (b) Bo proponents aren't going to point to Stewy or Hayes and say: "SEE SEE we should listen to these guys." Those articles would be swept aside fairly quickly.

Lord knows there wasn't any controversy surrounding Bo before they printed their outlandishly inaccurate expose's! :lol:

Why don't you apply at Sports Illustrated or The Sporting News since you obviously know so much more than them and everyone else?

Last edited:

At the same time, they don't even have to write about Bo's job status. Heck, these guys have been national journalists for quite some time. They aren't going anywhere whether they write an article on Bo or not. It's not like the 2013 college football season is lacking for interesting content. A story about Florida State or Oregon is going to draw a heckuva lot more interest nationally than one about Bo Pelini.

I seriously doubt Matt Hayes is taking a stance that he doesn't believe in. And actually, since several other writers have the same stance, it might actually generate more interest to be different from the herd -- if that's really what it was all about.

Last edited:

But if there wasnt a large enough group of people who also agreed with that stance, it wouldnt sell period. These articles are getting noticed because enough people agree with them. It does make for interesting debate though, see this thread :lol:

I've answered those questions about Solich a million times. Especially the one about him "only" getting an offer from Ohio, that's been dispensed with pretty thoroughly. Mostly it was about age. Similar reasons prevented Milt Tenopir from working again, even though he was a great OL coach...(and even though many Frank haters think MT was scapegoated by Frank and still had good years left).

That might be the problem in itself. The drought between the big wins at a place like Nebraska doesnt sit well.
2011 and 2012 were down years, I still think the class of 2008 getting destroyed by the coaching change had something to do with that. I can't use that explanation for 2013 though.

Fair point. I posted 2 and 3 in response to others who elsewhere on this board have argued that others around the nation WILL think we are spoiled and lack perspective. So unlike you and I, they apparently are very worried about what outsiders think. My point is that outsiders aren't thinking what they say they will think.

I think you have to be aware of what you look like to the outside world. But ultimately, Nebraska has to balance everything and come up with the "right" answer at the right time for Nebraska. The AD will have a decision to make in a month or so (if not already made). The more wins between now and then, the more gray the answer becomes.

Whatever the decision, there is a lot at stake.

Based on Bo's speechless panicked look at halftime of the Minnesota game, I'm not feeling real confident that we will be doing a lot of winning in November. But there is always hope that Minnesota was his "annual loss to a team he should beat game" and won't reflect how the remainder will go.

2011 and 2012 were down years, I still think the class of 2008 getting destroyed by the coaching change had something to do with that. I can't use that explanation for 2013 though.

I really cant use anything for an explanation for this year. I full anticipated some shoot outs. But its Dr J and Mr Hyde with out offense. And our D is something else like Dr J and Mr Hyde only worser <-----

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back