• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Head Coach Possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are now #78 in total defense and it looks to get worse. It seems more than just a down year.

they're young give em a break...cant expect a college kid to take in to much information

Interesting you left out Petersen and Patterson. Despite all the "true fans" who feel NU is such a sucky job that no one would want it, I think both of those are way more attainable than everyone thinks. And, they would be huge upgrades over Bo.

As a starting point and to illustrate what the field looks like when making recent success a strong criterion, I chose to include only those teams in the BCS top 25. Peterson's and Patterson's teams do not met that standard currently. They are both fine coaches with good records. It would be worthwhile to gauge their interest.

It is unclear that they would be upgrades. Each of them has had great success at FBS schools in non-automatic qualifier conferences. Peterson has not coached a team at the highest level (although his teams have certainly competed at the highest level when given the opportunity). Peterson's predecessor's at Boise (Hawkins and Koetter) did not go on to great success when they moved up to A-C conferences. Patterson's record is trending downward now that he is in a major conference.

Last edited:
I find it hilarious that people think Bo Pelini suddenly forgot out to coach defense.

I think it's hilarious that people think he's a defensive guru when in fact he's just always had the good fortune of always being hired by schools whose cupboards were well stocked with Jimmy & Joe's brand of superior athlete. Now that the Jimmy's & Joe's are gone the real truth is coming out, and the truth is he can't get his teams to rise above their talent level. NU, with its incredibly harsh recruiting disadvantages and ego crushing inferiority complex needs coaches that can elevate their talent above and beyond their limits. You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think Bo is the guy to do it. And if you do, please list all of the games where that's fully evident. Oh that's right, you can't. Just like all of the other games I asked you to list but never do. :rolleyes:

DeRuyter also has experience being the head man in charge, experience as the CEO of a college football program. He has experience at hiring assistants to complement his staff. It's not A LOT of experience, but it surely beats having no experience at all.

Exactly. He's climbing the head coaching ladder correctly, IMO. Start out at a smaller school and if you got "it" it will shine through in due time. In DeRuyter's case it's only taken a couple of years. He would definitely be on my radar.

I agree with your (brew city's) post, particularly the end.

I don't see DeRuyter as strong a candidate on paper as Bo was in '08, so I'd be very hesitant to blow up the current program to take a wing on a guy with almost no track record of sustained success as a DC and zero track record of any sort as a HC.

In fact, other than his 2 years at ATM, he's never coached at a BCS school.

People who are advocating for him as a top 5 replacement really shows how few good options.

We are no where close to the point where we want to fire Bo for someone with DeRuyter's resume.

Who needs Comedy Central when all you need to do is turn on your computer? So having almost two full years of head coaching experience at a decent football school and maintaining an upward trajectory pales in comparison to Bo's resume in 2008? Are you guys on the payroll or something?

Interesting you left out Petersen and Patterson. Despite all the "true fans" who feel NU is such a sucky job that no one would want it, I think both of those are way more attainable than everyone thinks. And, they would be huge upgrades over Bo.

Explain why we want Patterson. Have you seen what's happening to TCU this year?

Who needs Comedy Central when all you need to do is turn on your computer? So having almost two full years of head coaching experience at a decent football school and maintaining an upward trajectory pales in comparison to Bo's resume in 2008? Are you guys on the payroll or something?

Clearly you haven't seen Fresno games this year. It's not like they are crushing opponents. And it's not like FSU was a football wasteland before his arrival. We'll see how they finish this season up.... they barely beat a very average SDSU team (really should have lost in regulation).

Let me list at least a few of the HC's deyruter cut his teeth under:

Charlie Weatherbie (terrible coach, out of football, as far as I know).
Troy Calhoun (very average at
Mike Sherman

I think it's hilarious that people think he's a defensive guru when in fact he's just always had the good fortune of always being hired by schools whose cupboards were well stocked with Jimmy & Joe's brand of superior athlete. Now that the Jimmy's & Joe's are gone the real truth is coming out, and the truth is he can't get his teams to rise above their talent level. NU, with its incredibly harsh recruiting disadvantages and ego crushing inferiority complex needs coaches that can elevate their talent above and beyond their limits. You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think Bo is the guy to do it. And if you do, please list all of the games where that's fully evident. Oh that's right, you can't. Just like all of the other games I asked you to list but never do. :rolleyes:

So Nebraska '03 was stocked defensively? I actually agree with that assessment, but it's shocking to see you admit it considering the knocks on Frank's recruiting.

As a starting point and to illustrate what the field looks like when making recent success a strong criterion, I chose to include only those teams in the BCS top 25. Peterson's and Patterson's teams do not met that standard currently. They are both fine coaches with good records. It would be worthwhile to gauge their interest.

It is unclear that they would be upgrades. Each of them has had great success at FBS schools in non-automatic qualifier conferences. Peterson has not coached a team at the highest level (although his teams have certainly competed at the highest level when given the opportunity). Peterson's predecessor's at Boise (Hawkins and Koetter) did not go on to great success when they moved up to A-C conferences. Patterson's record is trending downward now that he is in a major conference.

Well, despite the top 25 criteria I'd certainly list them as guys with recent success. Did Hawkins and Koetter have a 90% winning percentage like Petersen? What was Bo's head coaching record before NU?

Funny how everybody cuts Bo all sorts of slack when he changes conferences; a conference where his talent should be able to compete right away, but Patterson is all of a sudden on a downward trajectory when jumping way up in class with his conference change and in his second year? And with one of the toughest schedules in the country this year? I know Bo's facing a gauntlet and meat grinder this season, but Patterson's schedule is way tougher. He can coach circles around Bo and knows how to be a CEO.

Clearly you haven't seen Fresno games this year. It's not like they are crushing opponents. And it's not like FSU was a football wasteland before his arrival. We'll see how they finish this season up.... they barely beat a very average SDSU team (really should have lost in regulation).

Fresno State was 4-9 in 2011.

Let me list at least a few of the HC's deyruter cut his teeth under:

Charlie Weatherbie (terrible coach, out of football, as far as I know).
Troy Calhoun (very average at
Mike Sherman

Do not forget Fisher DeBerry and Chris Ault.

Last edited:

So Nebraska '03 was stocked defensively? I actually agree with that assessment, but it's shocking to see you admit it considering the knocks on Frank's recruiting.

Wasn't offense Frank's specialty? Are dynamic personality and great recruiter words you would use to describe Frank? Besides, most of the good talent on that defense were upperclassmen who were recruited when Frank was riding the Osborne aura and recruit wave. Not unlike Bo, we saw what the real deal was once it was all on Frank's plate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back