• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The only mention of Nebraska in Stewart Mandel's mailbag

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are anything other than 6-1 I (and I suspect many others) will be in meltdown mode. If you thought what we have seen on here is meltdown mode you won't recognize it if we're 5-2, 4-3, or worse 3-4.

These next three are MUST wins IMO to have any faith moving forward.

This is very true. Bo's job will be in serious jeopardy if we're not 6-1.
we would need to increase our mods 3 fold, either that or declare martial law.

Agreed. We have whiffed the last few years too many times when we played a high profile game. It will take some big performances to get back in the good graces of the national media.

I don't think ANYONE disagrees with this.

Yes and no...the next few games tell us little.

As far as on-field action this has to be one of the more boring seasons I can remember. From game 1 to november its mostly teams with no pulse and "bye" weeks. Snooze-fest

See bilsker lining up his retort here for anything resembling improved play until November? Very smooth.

Last edited:

I don't mean to be an apologist or defender of Bo. There have been some signs of problems with the Nebraska program the past couple years, but this angst this week regarding NDSU vs Nebraska where their erspective games against SDSU seems strange to me.

I was listening to local sports talk radio the other morning and this thought came to me:

You know: If I just now woke up from a coma and heard this discussion, I would be like, "****** ?! We lost to South Dakota State ?!"

Seriously that's what it sounded like- that we had lost to SDSU. Because some NDSU player (who we haven't even played) talked some smack about Nebraska everybody' all worked up. Same thing with the Mandel column.

Uhhh....NDSU beat SDSU 20-0. Nebraska beat SDSU 59-20. In as much as you can ever compare scores against common opponents and draw any real conclusions, I suppose from those scores you might conclude that NDSU is better defensively than NU. Not sure why the 20-0 NDSU win is lauded as a great achievement and NU's 59-20 win is treated like a loss...?

And yes- I know....the real point and problem is that the result of a SDSU-NDSU game matters to Nebraska one way or the other. Just sayin'....perspective, people !

It was a 59-20 win, and we're talking about it as if it was a loss !

I don't mean to be an apologist or defender of Bo. There have been some signs of problems with the Nebraska program the past couple years, but this angst this week regarding NDSU vs Nebraska where their erspective games against SDSU seems strange to me.

I was listening to local sports talk radio the other morning and this thought came to me:

You know: If I just now woke up from a coma and heard this discussion, I would be like, "****** ?! We lost to South Dakota State ?!"

Seriously that's what it sounded like- that we had lost to SDSU. Because some NDSU player (who we haven't even played) talked some smack about Nebraska everybody' all worked up. Same thing with the Mandel column.

Uhhh....NDSU beat SDSU 20-0. Nebraska beat SDSU 59-20. In as much as you can ever compare scores against common opponents and draw any real conclusions, I suppose from those scores you might conclude that NDSU is better defensively than NU. Not sure why the 20-0 NDSU win is lauded as a great achievement and NU's 59-20 win is treated like a loss...?

And yes- I know....the real point and problem is that the result of a SDSU-NDSU game matters to Nebraska one way or the other. Just sayin'....perspective, people !

It was a 59-20 win, and we're talking about it as if it was a loss !

I'm just glad NDSU isn't on our schedule this year.

I don't think ANYONE disagrees with this.

See bilsker lining up his retort here for anything resembling improved play until November? Very smooth.

Is there anything NU could do again the hapless boilermakers that would make you thump your chest?

I'll concede that going out and shutting Illinois out would be a good sign...hopefully they do.

Is there anything NU could do again the hapless boilermakers that would make you thump your chest?

I'll concede that going out and shutting Illinois out would be a good sign...hopefully they do.

See this is what I just don't get... correct me if I'm wrong bilsker, but I think a lot of the fan base has this mentality also:

Nebraska plays a team they should beat, and nothing positive can come from that game. Unless we win 70-0. It's the same reason some folks say they're glad NDSU isn't on our schedule. It's not because people HONESTLY think NDSU could beat Nebraska, rather, it's the thought that nothing good can come from playing inferior opponents. Every bad play gets dissected so much more than a positive one. and thats JMPO.

I agree with most, that Nebraska isn't deserving of a top 25 ranking right now, especially when you look at the three teams we've beat. But, to throw a Pelini line out there, all of our goals are still in front of us for the taking. We just need to keep improving week in and week out defensively, and peak at the right time.

See this is what I just don't get... correct me if I'm wrong bilsker, but I think a lot of the fan base has this mentality also:

Nebraska plays a team they should beat, and nothing positive can come from that game. Unless we win 70-0. It's the same reason some folks say they're glad NDSU isn't on our schedule. It's not because people HONESTLY think NDSU could beat Nebraska, rather, it's the thought that nothing good can come from playing inferior opponents. Every bad play gets dissected so much more than a positive one. and thats JMPO.

I agree with most, that Nebraska isn't deserving of a top 25 ranking right now, especially when you look at the three teams we've beat. But, to throw a Pelini line out there, all of our goals are still in front of us for the taking. We just need to keep improving week in and week out defensively, and peak at the right time.

Nope. The season is over. The trailer is packed up. Pelini's got his walking papers. Nebraska football is dead.

:lol:

I am starting to feel like we put the absolute hammer down on Illinois this week... I think they will score a bit on us early but we will start to make Scheelhaase make decisions on the blitz and force some turnovers... then they become one dimensional which is where Pelini's defense thrives..

I think we score 50+, win by 28 and maybe perk some heads this week... Tommy might get us more attention with the potential creation of a QB controversy..

One question heading into this game......Do you think Illinois is equal to or better than SDSU? I've seen a couple of their games this year and I'd say they're substantially more talented including at the quarterback position. I don't see us blowing the doors off this team unless a lot more wrongs have been righted than I think is possible in two weeks. NU eek's out a win against a bottom half B1G team and outside of the top 25 they should stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back