• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Reevaluation John Cook As Head Coach

I don't think there is any question that John Cook is getting lazy. The late regular seasons the last two years were bitterly disappointing, as was the Huskers' play in the NCAA tourny both those years. I thought last night's performance against Oregon was embarrassing, what a pathetic butt kicking that was, by a team that was supposedly no better than a peer. John Cook seemiingly didn't know what hit him.

Last edited:

Not the right man? Lazy? Let's get over this, ok? We can't be the only team with talent, in this great nation. This is a highly, competitive sport. Unless you have the best talent, you will not win it all.

Again, I am as disappointed as the rest of you, but John Cook is a great coach. Get over it, you who want him gone! Besides, who in the heck are you going to replace him with? Really? :(

Last edited:
I didn't realize we had such good coach evaluators on the board.​

It doesn't take an expert evaluator to look at what seed Nebraska is entering the tournament, and where they end up finishing in the tournament.

A few more years of Cook's underachievement, and those supporting him will change their tune...

I agree with those that said the loss was really disappointing (in that we got LESS competitive as the game went on).

I also agree with those that have cited a lack of game-changing talent. Sarah Pavan graduated in 2007 and we haven't been able to replace her. If you compare NUs roster to PSUs you see a decided athletic advantage for the team in blue. But when NU is able to play as a harmonious team it is a thing of beauty.

I hope that Cook has the next Pavan in the pipeline and that his recruiting will more consistently find players capable of taking over games, but a loss in the Elite Eight is not sufficient grounds for dismissal.

:2cents:

I was wondering if anyone would start to question Cook. Fact is, he had a trip to the final four served on a silver platter and failed to meet expectations. Yes, when you are a top 4 seed the final four is the expectation. NU volleyball hasn't been to the final 4 since 2008, and I believe the commentators during the match said the 2012 senior class is the first senior class since the early 90's to never reach a final 4. That's not a positive sign for the program. Obviously Cook isn't getting fired, but he's built up the lofty expectations, and I'm guessing not making a final four once over the past four seasons is not what the program's expectations are.

I was wondering if anyone would start to question Cook. Fact is, he had a trip to the final four served on a silver platter and failed to meet expectations. Yes, when you are a top 4 seed the final four is the expectation. NU volleyball hasn't been to the final 4 since 2008, and I believe the commentators during the match said the 2012 senior class is the first senior class since the early 90's to never reach a final 4. That's not a positive sign for the program. Obviously Cook isn't getting fired, but he's built up the lofty expectations, and I'm guessing not making a final four once over the past four seasons is not what the program's expectations are.

Fair point. For once in the last several years the NCAA selection committee gave NU a very favorable bracket. To not make the final four -- and lose in the manner they did in front of a home crowd -- should be seen as unacceptable. It should cause Cook to reevaluate the program, which he has maintained as one of the best in CVB.

I agree with those that said the loss was really disappointing (in that we got LESS competitive as the game went on).

I also agree with those that have cited a lack of game-changing talent. Sarah Pavan graduated in 2007 and we haven't been able to replace her.

I seem to recall Jordan Larsen playing on the US Women's Olympic team this past summer...that seems like a pretty good indicator of the talent that Cook can bring in.

We had a freshman (hagerty) seeing a lot of playing time and having an important role this season.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread - we lost to the #5 overall seed at what is considered our home court. That was certainly disappointing. But, compare to #7 UCLA (and defending champ) losing to an unseeded Michigan State team on their campus home floor; and, #2 overall seed Stanford losing to unseeded Michigan in Berkley.

Are there signs of a pattern of underachieving? Perhaps... or, it could just be coincidentally running into the wrong team at the wrong time.

I still haven't seen a suggestion for a coach that would be better than Cook?

Last edited:

I seem to recall Jordan Larsen playing on the US Women's Olympic team this past summer...that seems like a pretty good indicator of the talent that Cook can bring in.

We had a freshman (hagerty) seeing a lot of playing time and having an important role this season.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread - we lost to the #5 overall seed at what is considered our home court. That was certainly disappointing. But, compare to #7 UCLA (and defending champ) losing to an unseeded Michigan State team on their campus home floor; and, #2 overall seed Stanford losing to unseeded Michigan in Berkley.

Are there signs of a pattern of underachieving? Perhaps... or, it could just be coincidentally running into the wrong team at the wrong time.

I still haven't seen a suggestion for a coach that would be better than Cook?

I don't think anyone is suggesting Cook be replaced, but there is room for improvement, based on previous results. Also, unless one of the seniors this season used a redshirt at some point, no one on this year's team played with Larsen, so for me her playing career doesn't really mean much when discussing the current NU program. You mention other teams' failures, but NU lost last year to KSU as the #2 overall seed, and lost to an unseeded Washington in 2010 as the #2 overall seed so Cook's not immune to the bad early round losses. No one is expecting a national title every year, but NU has built up its brand by being a top volleyball program and a four year drought of not making the final four is aa long time for a program that's been a #2 seed twice and a #4 seed during that span.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Cook be replaced, but there is room for improvement, based on previous results. Also, unless one of the seniors this season used a redshirt at some point, no one on this year's team played with Larsen, so for me her playing career doesn't really mean much when discussing the current NU program. You mention other teams' failures, but NU lost last year to KSU as the #2 overall seed, and lost to an unseeded Washington in 2010 as the #2 overall seed so Cook's not immune to the bad early round losses. No one is expecting a national title every year, but NU has built up its brand by being a top volleyball program and a four year drought of not making the final four is aa long time for a program that's been a #2 seed twice and a #4 seed during that span.

Fromuda seems to want a replacement.

And, I do think Larsen has played since Pavan (although just barely)...Mort specifically mentioned Pavan in his earlier comment. There have been two other first team All-American's after Larsen. He has recruited two NATIONAL players of the year. Yet, some say he can't bring in talent.

I don't disagree with the disappointment and the desire to be back in the final four.

I just think a coach with TEN conference championships and TWO national championships in a THIRTEEN year span deserves a lot more credit than he's been given on this thread.

Good grief people....

Last edited:
While the Final 4 was certainly the goal, the great 8 is nothing to be ashamed of either. The football team would kill to be as consistent as the volleyball squad.

Good grief people....

No doubt.

1. Cook recruits top talent every year
2. Cook produces a top 10 team every year.
3. Cook wins Championships. National ones.

So he hasn't been in the final 4 in a couple years......therefore we need to reevaluate a premiere volleyball program in the nation that is NOT in a downfall by any measure calculated by any sane individual?

Some joker on the radio recently suggested he doesn't go after black players, essentially inferring he's got some sort of racially motivated recruiting practices. Good Lord.

Cook is on the short list for the next US volleyball national coach. By everyone.

And now he might not be good enough for Nebraska? Some of you are nuts.

Please do not bring logic into this discussion. It really makes it difficult to go off on rants when someone tries to add perspective.....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back