• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Talent

Didn't practice physical enough, took the punches from Wisconsin but were beat up the rest of the year. Weaknesses probably exposed a bit too but I think we were a shell physically of what we were the beginning of the year.

I completely agree and had that discussion with a friend who used to play for the Big Red back in the early 80's. We both felt a large portion of our season was kind of 'smoke and mirrors', and it would have worked had we not gotten as beaten up. With the Wiscy game (not to mention some key injuries throughout the year), Riley's 'master plan' to improve depth for the next few years and hopefully improving the overall health of the program was put at risk. I think the staff gambled that they could hold things together with duct tape and bailing wire instead of pulling some redshirts. Honestly, it failed, though not as badly as it could have.

2nd string OLine never/rarely see the field as it is, ... will be interesting to see how that plays out in the years to come.

This season was smoke and mirrors as some have mentioned. No real good football. Tommy never seemed to get better which was a huge problem. Online was flat out bad at times. Dline was non existent most of the season. Ugly football indeed. GBR

IMO, we lost to Iowa mostly because we had to trot out a gimpy qb who was already not an accurate passer. The chances of scoring points were almost nil with Armstrong expected to pass for a win. I thought Riker should've be brought in at halftime. Really anyone would've been a better option. He is servicable when healthy, but should've been pulled after halftime. It couldn't have gotten much worse.
If this is the case, why the hell play him? Isn't that just waving the white flag?

Um, you may have missed it, but you just mentioned 3 coaches who are being paid triple what our coach is, not to mention they have at least double the budget for assistants and are in a far better position from a recruiting perspective. If you want to draw comparisons there are likely far better programs to pick from.
By what you just said, we are no longer Nebraska. If NU can't compare itself to the elite anymore or want to play with the elite, then it chooses not to play big boy football anymore. Iowa and Northwestern is where it's at now. Gotcha.

OK, I am so sick of this moronic response that if we don't jump for joy with every walkon starting we are somehow less than proud. If I'm looking at the Preakness, I don't get all choked up because I'd rather see my jockey sitting on Secretariat, Seabiscuit or Man 'O War instead of trusty old Betsy from my plow. Some days we'll get lucky and find one of those guys who blossoms late and gives us that amazing mixture of talent and heart, but I don't think we need to make that the differentiator between success in the league or failure.

We need talent, we need depth, and a large part of our problems come from a lack of both at this point. Misses on the recruiting side, poor S&C and some practice techniques that aren't properly preparing our players for physical wars that are the B1G have hurt us. I'd put the walkon program a distant 4th on our list of troubles.
Bingo! LarstheRed goes to the head of the lunch line.

It might also be a product of playing halfway decent teams down the stretch. We snuck by some mediocre teams early on. I don't think we really got worse as the season went on. I also think that we were fortunate to catch Wisconsin when we did, after they had played a brutal stretch of games.
Combination of both i'm sure. But I do think we are really beat up. We don't lose 62-3 to Ohio State if we play them before Wisconsin.

I completely agree and had that discussion with a friend who used to play for the Big Red back in the early 80's. We both felt a large portion of our season was kind of 'smoke and mirrors', and it would have worked had we not gotten as beaten up. With the Wiscy game (not to mention some key injuries throughout the year), Riley's 'master plan' to improve depth for the next few years and hopefully improving the overall health of the program was put at risk. I think the staff gambled that they could hold things together with duct tape and bailing wire instead of pulling some redshirts. Honestly, it failed, though not as badly as it could have.
Pretty spot on... also guys just not practicing all week and then thinking they would be ready to roll just wasn't going to work.

IMO, we lost to Iowa mostly because we had to trot out a gimpy qb who was already not an accurate passer. The chances of scoring points were almost nil with Armstrong expected to pass for a win. I thought Riker should've be brought in at halftime. Really anyone would've been a better option. He is servicable when healthy, but should've been pulled after halftime. It couldn't have gotten much worse.
So that was the reason our defense couldn't stop Iowa and gave up the big plays?

Pretty spot on... also guys just not practicing all week and then thinking they would be ready to roll just wasn't going to work.

As a player I can't imagine how I'd feel knowing I wasn't able to play at a level I would want to because of an injury. I get the idea of guys gutting it out, but when you just don't have the juice and keep getting beat on plays, that has to eat at you. I just keep looking at that O-Line and think we will see some vast improvement over the next 2 years.

Recruit better and things will improve. We need players period
Remember 4* Jalin Barnett, considered to be one of if not he best OG in the nation coming out of high school at 6'4" 320? We were told he may start as a true FR. Year two in the program with starters injured and we're looking for answers at OG, he is nowhere to be found. Some would say 4* Paul Thurston was playing well enough to start at C. He could play OG, why not find him some PT to keep him on board? Sophmore Cole Conrad finished the year at RT ahead of 4* David Knevel and 3*/4* Christian Gaylord (who is listed as #2 at LT). A lot of star power isn't seeing the field as it is.

Remember 4* Jalin Barnett, considered to be one of if not he best OG in the nation coming out of high school at 6'4" 320? We were told he may start as a true FR. Year two in the program with starters injured and we're looking for answers at OG, he is nowhere to be found. Some would say 4* Paul Thurston was playing well enough to start at C. He could play OG, why not find him some PT to keep him on board? Sophmore Cole Conrad finished the year at RT ahead of 4* David Knevel and 3*/4* Christian Gaylord (who is listed as #2 at LT). A lot of star power isn't seeing the field as it is.

And this post is why I'm NOT a Cav fan.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back