• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Talent

What is this staff doing to address quantity? Go look at how many linemen were on the roster in 2011-2014 compared to now. We've shrunk the available talent pool, regardless of scholarship vs. walk-on status.
That's what concerns me, especially if scholarship guys that had four stars and were picked by this staff can't see the field when injuries happen.

Last edited:
Decker, Gaylord, Brokop and Raridon all committed to the former staff and many felt Farniok would as well. The only two OL I see as potential for PT next year who didn't commit to the former staff are Wilson and Farniok. Yes Cav kept them on board, the point is they aren't anything more than what the former staff recruited.
The fact that two guys coming off their 1st year redshirts are going to compete for playing time should tell you something.

The fact that we went 5-7 in the first place is alarming enough. The fact that we were letting some pretty bad teams hang around late in games this season doesn't make me feel a lot better (a little better, but not much). And getting outscored in conference games makes me wonder if we really made big steps forward this year.
That's fair. We had a more favorable schedule this year. At least we didn't lose to people we shouldn't this year. 62-3 and 40-10 can skew that a bit I guess in the score department.

I agree with this. I'm not trying to tell anyone that we have 3-deep national championship talent, but I think a better staff would get more out of this group. We're good enough (talent-wise) to win the West, especially this season. We shouldn't be struggling to put bad teams away in the 4th quarter week after week. We shouldn't be mauled by an average Iowa team in every phase of the game.

We aren't going to match Ohio State and Michigan on the recruiting trail, but we can (and have) consistently out-recruit our division. If we can't control our division, even with better talent, how are we going to win the conference against more talented teams? What sets us apart? Nothing, really. We have reasonably good players with moderately decent coaches. That mix isn't going to get us far.

yep!!

What is this staff doing to address quantity? Go look at how many linemen were on the roster in 2011-2014 compared to now. We've shrunk the available talent pool, regardless of scholarship vs. walk-on status.

Well they've been here through two recruiting classes, and I see 8 OL, 5 from their second class when they had a whole year here. There's only 10 in the other three classes. Seems Riley is trying to correct those numbers. BUT you have to be careful while trying to build up one position, you don't neglect other positions. Do that, and we're right back where we are today.

40-10 is one of those teams we shouldn't lose to
Agree... but we had an injured QB and were the weaker team on both lines before the game started. We were 3 point dogs to them. First year since 1997 we didn't lose as a favorite. We shouldn't lose to them, shouldn't be 3-3 in the B1G against them. But this game we should have lost, just not 40-10.

That's fair. We had a more favorable schedule this year. At least we didn't lose to people we shouldn't this year. 62-3 and 40-10 can skew that a bit I guess in the score department.
Absolutely it can skew things, and I considered taking out the OSU game. But do we also then take out our most lopsided win? Compare this season to 2014, for example... we had one lopsided conference loss, but still managed to outscore our conference opponents by an average of a touchdown, 33.4-27.1 ppg... with the same quarterback starting his first full season as a sophomore.

Absolutely it can skew things, and I considered taking out the OSU game. But do we also then take out our most lopsided win? Compare this season to 2014, for example... we had one lopsided conference loss, but still managed to outscore our conference opponents by an average of a touchdown, 33.4-27.1 ppg... with the same quarterback starting his first full season as a sophomore.
Ya you can't really take out any of it, it happened. I do think there is a lot to the Wisconsin game destroying us for the rest of the year. Go look at our stats after that.

Ya you can't really take out any of it, it happened. I do think there is a lot to the Wisconsin game destroying us for the rest of the year. Go look at our stats after that.
You mean beat up and injured or the teams weaknesses were exposed against wisconsin?

Last edited:

You mean beat up and injured or the teams weaknesses were exposed against wisconsin?
Didn't practice physical enough, took the punches from Wisconsin but were beat up the rest of the year. Weaknesses probably exposed a bit too but I think we were a shell physically of what we were the beginning of the year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back