• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Derrion Grim leaving Update: offered a few thoughts on his departure to newspaper in Stockton, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumbest post of the year candidate. How many kids do you think get homesick and have to be talked into staying. My guess would be somewhere between 30-50% of all freshman. I base that on the number of kids I had to talk to when in the Corps. Heck if we served as Officer of the Day during the holidays we were required to take suicide prevention class in case someone lost it over the holidays. This when the Marine Corps goes out of their way to teach you not to show emotion in boot camp. However, human nature is what it is. Most kids when given a chance to talk to Mom and Dad and a few days to gather themselves end up fine. Then there are the 5% or so that just never adjust to being away from home. The coaches were doing their jobs when talking the kid into staying. If they did not do that the turnover at every school short of USC and Miami would be crazy.

Big difference between kids that join the Marines and Husker football recruits. This might be candidate for second dunbest post of the year.

Big difference between kids that join the Marines and Husker football recruits. This might be candidate for second dunbest post of the year.
Not really they are all 18-22 year old kids away from home for the first time. Since I do not think you know anything about either one I will leave it at that.

Not really they are all 18-22 year old kids away from home for the first time. Since I do not think you know anything about either one I will leave it at that.

So if we're voting on dumbest, I'll put my vote on the above. GFOA doesn't know what its like to be 18-22 away from home for the first time. And you would know this how? Is he 17?

Media was bashing the kid because he "selfishly" went to class for one day. I'm real sure he was so calculated in his actions to do something of the sort just so he could "selfishly" cost the program a scholarship. I'm sure he knows the NCAA rulebook that well. If Riley knew there was a possibility he would leave, he should have been talking to the kid. It was MISHANDLED. Media and others here complaining about a lost scholarship, place blame where it belongs. Kid is half responsible/coaches are half responsible.

I love the program just like every one of you but I'm not so effin naive to realize that those in charge don't make mistakes everyday in their jobs just like you and I and everyone else does. Take off the glasses once in awhile.

Kids gone, next man up. Next time something similar happens Riley and company should be better prepared to handle it. On to tomorrow.

Last edited:
Not really anything to deal with, a guy who wasn't going to get many snaps won't get any now. No big deal here in any way.
Yep. Not really a distraction at all. It's not like a 3rd or 4th year player that is much respected by his teammates bailed. Most of the team probably hardly knew him.

I would think, from all of the great things that we hear about Riley, that he would give a kid full leave to go where ever they wanted if they didn't want to be at Nebraska. It's a tough situation because NU loses a scholarship, but, I would hope that Riley, being who he is, would look beyond that and see it for what it is.. A kid that is homesick and wants to play in a different offense. Let him go where he wants. As we found out, Grim is going JUCO, and likely was all along, so there was no need to release him from the scholarship. The article made it seem like NU was the bad guy and was being vindictive because Grim didn't want to stay. A journalist wouldn't skew information to make things seems different than they really are... Would they?!?!?;):Biggrin:

Like I said, I'm guessing this guy may have irritated the staff with some immaturity and demands that he be catered to (needs 4 wides with TA or he goes home pouting), then he complains publicly and is upset he didn't get what he wanted 2 days after he pulls a scholarship burning bailout. Sorry if I'm not feeling all sad for him.

Like I said, I'm guessing this guy may have irritated the staff with some immaturity and demands that he be catered to (needs 4 wides with TA or he goes home pouting), then he complains publicly and is upset he didn't get what he wanted 2 days after he pulls a scholarship burning bailout. Sorry if I'm not feeling all sad for him.

I agree, he lost me when he started blaming the coaches for doing their jobs

I'm not feeling sad for him either, not sure where that came from. I definitely need to alter my posting style, way too much confusion apparently. Here goes...

The article made it seem like Riley wasn't releasing the scholarship out of spite. The complete opposite of how I thought Riley would act. Turns out that he didn't need to release it as Grim was JUCO all along.

Grim is weird, journalists like to skew words, and Riley is who I thought he was...I'll let him off the hook.

This scholarship BS is a joke. If the kid wanted to leave in the spring and MR and other coaches talked him into staying, they are as responsible for the lost scholarship as anyone. Should have let him go then, wouldn't be dealing with this crap now a week before the season.

So we should expect coaches to immediatedly cut times every time a kid gets bummed out or homesick and starts thinking of leaving...that would have meant Suh and literally hundreds of starters over the years would have left the program. Pretty stupid statement. However, once you get a kid to commit to giving it a chance, and that drop dead point was deciding before school actually starts, that's really on the kid as much as the coaches. I'm sure in the future they may have some very serious conversations that week before school starts if they have a kid waivering that badly again.

I'm not feeling sad for him either, not sure where that came from. I definitely need to alter my posting style, way too much confusion apparently. Here goes...

The article made it seem like Riley wasn't releasing the scholarship out of spite. The complete opposite of how I thought Riley would act. Turns out that he didn't need to release it as Grim was JUCO all along.

Grim is weird, journalists like to skew words, and Riley is who I thought he was...I'll let him off the hook.

I'm glad you recognize that it's not always on the coaches. I'll still contend that it was pretty silly to expect Riley to jump in the first day or two when Grimm wanted his release.

I'm glad you recognize that it's not always on the coaches. I'll still contend that it was pretty silly to expect Riley to jump in the first day or two when Grimm wanted his release.

I don't expect that at all, in fact, I don't think he should, ever. Like you said in #266, if the coaches cut ties immediately, Suh would have left, where would Nebraska have been without Suh? (I don't want to think about that) What percentage of kids get homesick and want to leave but are talked into staying? I'd guess it's much higher than we'll ever know.

I don't expect that at all, in fact, I don't think he should, ever. Like you said in #266, if the coaches cut ties immediately, Suh would have left, where would Nebraska have been without Suh? (I don't want to think about that) What percentage of kids get homesick and want to leave but are talked into staying? I'd guess it's much higher than we'll ever know.

Agreed, it's probably close to half of the kids that start to have doubts. They may not all verbalize that to coaches or team mates, but I know over beers some truths would creep out of even some of the more stable team members. This kid just never seemed to give it a chance and maybe he got enamoured with the idea of playing in P% conference. The offensive issues sounds a little weak if you consider he see's the QB play, both in practice and on film.

If it really was about the lack of 4-wide playing options, would he have stayed if we really did change to 4-wide but he was 5th on the depth chart? He would have been a true freshman, right? It's irresponsible to base your decision on playing time at that age when there are people that have been here for four years and have proven themselves in the position.

If it's about homesickness, that's cool, because that happens. It's ridiculous to blame it on playing time, though, regardless of what offensive scheme was going to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back