• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Derrion Grim leaving Update: offered a few thoughts on his departure to newspaper in Stockton, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
On one end of the spectrum, we have Darlington who was a touted dual-threat QB out of high school, who is now just wanting to make a difference and help the team win - changing position groups and taking on the role of holder like a champ.

On the other end of it, you have a freshman who has yet to play a down of football, selfishly putting himself before the team, and putting HCMR on blast on his way out the door. You don't regularly go 4-wide with a dual-threat quarterback.

Not to mention he is sacrificing the chance to play for one of the best WR coaches in the country and learn from arguably the best WR core in the B1G.

I'll take Darlington over Grimm any day.

Darlington definitely seems like a good guy. Grim, don't know much about him, but, he would have been fun to watch in this offense. It's good that he left rather than stay and continue to feel the way he did. Would have been nice to give a walk on that scholarship though.

Your fixation on Grimm's scholarship release (or lack thereof). More than likely there is more to the story than any of us will ever hear so there's really no reason to speculate........

There was some confusion with my original post, I was only explaining myself. If that made it seem like I had some "fixation" on Grim's scholarship, which it appears that is the case, then maybe I need to alter my posting style and/or try to explain things less when there is confusion with my posts. I can promise you that I have no fixation on Grim, or his scholarship.

I'm wondering how much of Grimm's interview was actualy used in the article that was sent to print. I mean I get that he expected there to be more 4 sets, and in Riley's defense I'm sure there will be.... Eventually. This is not a knock on the writer or the publishing parties at all, but I feel out of the entire conversation this is what they felt they had the best story running with. It's pretty clear he expected more of a pro style offense, and had he had stayed he would have (espically with the amount of play he was expected to get this year) gotten one. The reality is this. We don't have an eledgible QB ready to implement the style of offense he was recruited for. Plain and simple. It's sad to see these knee jerk reactions from someone so young, but if he was faltering on staying with the program and trust issues with HCMR presented themselves this early, I think he made the right decision.

Grim is sounding like a 3 star prima donna to me. I hate it these kids leave a program early but in this case, IM sure glad he's gone. First it was homesickness, now at last count its because he wasn't going to get the touches, in his mind. Just maybe he needs to understand how football works. The coaching staff gets to set the plays, and determine the best offense to WIN THE FREAKING GAME. We will fill his hole and won't miss a beat.

Grim is sounding like a 3 star prima donna to me. I hate it these kids leave a program early but in this case, IM sure glad he's gone. First it was homesickness, now at last count its because he wasn't going to get the touches, in his mind. Just maybe he needs to understand how football works. The coaching staff gets to set the plays, and determine the best offense to WIN THE FREAKING GAME. We will fill his hole and won't miss a beat.
Um last time I checked it was illegal to threaten to fill someone's hole. :Sarcastic:

This scholarship BS is a joke. If the kid wanted to leave in the spring and MR and other coaches talked him into staying, they are as responsible for the lost scholarship as anyone. Should have let him go then, wouldn't be dealing with this crap now a week before the season.

Yeah my point being that he was unable to see beyond this season.

Shortsighted indeed.
Short sighted is correct, Just imagine how much money he will have lost if he makes it into the NFL draft. Playing for a Juco is not gonna help his stock rise.

With over a hundred players, it is hard to have everyone on the same page. Coming in here with a bag full of press clippings and a feeling of entitlement, this young man had an unsuccessful adjustment. Only downside I see is a deserving walk-on doesn't get the scholarship.

This scholarship BS is a joke. If the kid wanted to leave in the spring and MR and other coaches talked him into staying, they are as responsible for the lost scholarship as anyone. Should have let him go then, wouldn't be dealing with this crap now a week before the season.
Dumbest post of the year candidate. How many kids do you think get homesick and have to be talked into staying. My guess would be somewhere between 30-50% of all freshman. I base that on the number of kids I had to talk to when in the Corps. Heck if we served as Officer of the Day during the holidays we were required to take suicide prevention class in case someone lost it over the holidays. This when the Marine Corps goes out of their way to teach you not to show emotion in boot camp. However, human nature is what it is. Most kids when given a chance to talk to Mom and Dad and a few days to gather themselves end up fine. Then there are the 5% or so that just never adjust to being away from home. The coaches were doing their jobs when talking the kid into staying. If they did not do that the turnover at every school short of USC and Miami would be crazy.

If coaches didn't try to keep every kid that thought about leaving they wouldn't have a team.

Not really anything to deal with, a guy who wasn't going to get many snaps won't get any now. No big deal here in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back