• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ashley Scoggins

I agree that we need to hear more of the facts before passing any judgement. Legally, we don't have any rights to hear anything more than what we have already heard from the media. And I doubt very much that we will ever hear the total truth.

One of the questions I have is what happened that the team set her up to bring the situation to light? Was something going on in the locker room that caused the team to react with this type of action? I seem to remember the team was playing as if they had some major distractions taking place after Scroggins was removed from the team (which there obviously was).

The statement the University released sounds like they aren't looking to settle, but will fight to the end.

The University was made aware of the lawsuit this morning. While the University does not comment on the specifics of pending litigation, it does not agree with the allegations contained in the complaint and intends to vigorously defend this matter.

Melissa Lee, University of Nebraska spokesperson

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing coach Williams would handle it the way it sounded. But it would not surprise me to hear the players gave Scoggins a bad time since it was the players that set her up to bring the whole thing out in the open. Of course that may not be totally accurate either.

The allegation concerning the players confuses me. IMO for the players to "set up" another player rather than the coach, something else had to be happening within that team. As for Williams, the allegation of that team meeting is really bad. In that respect, IMO the University might be caught in a no-win situation if they settle this without a trial. Some coaches will definitely use that against Nebraska in recruiting regardless if it's true or not and a settlement might hamper coaches efforts to combat negative recruitihg.

In her post game interviews the past 3-4 games Williams has made some comments about how much she "loves" coaching at Nebraska. Comments that, to me at least, kind of sounded like she was "lobbying" for her job. I thought it odd that she would feel any need to respond to anything on the cesspool that is social media. Maybe she knew this big hit was coming and that's where those comments come from.

Last edited:

The allegation concerning the players confuses me. IMO for the players to "set up" another player rather than the coach, something else had to be happening within that team. As for Williams, the allegation of that team meeting is really bad. In that respect, IMO the University might be caught in a no-win situation if they settle this without a trial. Some coaches will definitely use that against Nebraska in recruiting regardless if it's true or not and a settlement might hamper coaches efforts to combat negative recruitihg.

In her post game interviews the past 3-4 games Williams has made some comments about how much she "loves" coaching at Nebraska. Comments that, to me at least, kind of sounded like she was "lobbying" for her job. I thought it odd that she would feel any need to respond to anything on the cesspool that is social media. Maybe she knew this big hit was coming and that's where those comments come from.
The team meeting part sounds the worst, but to me it sounds so bad it's hard to believe it's totally true. Could other players have berated Scoggins, that's very possible, it's just hard to believe it would be done at the coaches urging.

I agree something else was happening within the team if players did "set up" another player to bring it out in the open. Seems like the players just confronting Scoggins privately would have been enough.

In the end it may have to come to trail for the university and Williams to have their names cleared. It appears the right thing was done by suspending both coach and player as soon as they found out. It's not like they were trying to hide it or condoned it. The team meeting seems to be the part where either Williams or the university come out looking bad, so they may want an opportunity to clear that up if it didn't come down the way it's claimed to have happened.

Power makes us arrogant. Sex makes us stupid. Mix the two and you get a conflagration, even without alcohol.

Sounds to me like Scoggins, and possibly Chuck Love (difficult to miss the irony in that name,) weren't very popular on the team, or that "team meeting" wouldn't have gone down that way.

It's also hard to believe the university doesn't conduct regular sexual misconduct training for both employees and athletes. It will be interesting to see the fallout.

Maybe we should avoid all speculation until facts come out.

You're completely correct, but this one will be a 'Moth to the flame' situation.

We'll have a handful who'll automatically blame the player, another group that will blame the coaches and a third who'll start chiming in about how a lack of institutional control should spell the end of Trev Alberts.

Since it's now an actual lawsuit, the 'facts' that will come out will be entirely one sided in the favor of the plaintiff.

Love the off season.

Power makes us arrogant. Sex makes us stupid. Mix the two and you get a conflagration, even without alcohol.

Sounds to me like Scoggins, and possibly Chuck Love (difficult to miss the irony in that name,) weren't very popular on the team, or that "team meeting" wouldn't have gone down that way.

The 20-21 season was Scoggin's only year at Nebraska. She transferred in after spending two years at Salt Lake CC. In general, I can definitely see it being difficult for a new player their first year on the team.

Love, however, was in his 6th season. Amy Williams brought him along with her when she came from South Dakota. Overall, he'd been on Williams staff for ten years. According to his bio from Huskers.com (which is still available on Google), Love was responsible for recruiting Kate Cain, Sam Haiby, Markowski, Kendall Coley and Allison Weidner. He's credited with recruiting three top-25 classes to Nebraska. I think the problem may have been he was popular with both the players and staff.

I think there are rules, people broke them, action was taken, and everyone must pay for their mistakes. Everyone. Love showed no prior history, Scoggins showed no prior history, the program has shown no prior history of letting things go.
Program dealt with it immediately, the team suffered, the program suffered and those punished....suffered.
Should you profit from a mistake? We shall see.

It's getting really hard to find a victim here. Since title nine was put into place to remove the reliance of trust and actions from a university, its rules, its laws, title nine brings its own outside of the loop.
Reporting is assured, action is assured.

Why does it go further than this?

You're completely correct, but this one will be a 'Moth to the flame' situation.

We'll have a handful who'll automatically blame the player, another group that will blame the coaches and a third who'll start chiming in about how a lack of institutional control should spell the end of Trev Alberts.

Since it's now an actual lawsuit, the 'facts' that will come out will be entirely one sided in the favor of the plaintiff.

Love the off season.

That could NEVER happen!!

:Sarcastic:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back