• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Zero Turn mowers

Huskerfan69

Travel Squad
2 Year Member
I don't see a forum for this, so I am putting it here..

I am looking at ditching Cub Cadet, and I am looking for something in the zero turn market.

What are you using?

If you have a lot of stuff to mow around/under, I would recommend the Husqvarna articulated mower. Not quite zero turn, but the blades are out front, automatically mulches, and you can really get under things. Really love it. Really easy to change blades too, the deck easily flips up.

Last edited:
I am looking at these three mowers.. I have never seen that type of mower before.

Last edited:
10 year old Toro TimeCutter (little brother of the Titan series). Never been in the shop once. I was tempted to jump up to a Scag or Hustler (before they went big-box-store). Glad I didn't. Also highly recommend Gator blades.

I don't see a forum for this, so I am putting it here..

I am looking at ditching Cub Cadet, and I am looking for something in the zero turn market.

What are you using?

Do you currently have a zero turn Cub Cadet?
I have one of these and like it a lot.

Do you currently have a zero turn Cub Cadet?
I have one of these and like it a lot.

I do, I have one of those RZT (steering wheel model) and I had to have one hydro replaced in just over 3 years.. it has slowed down so much that it takes me 2 hours to mow what once only took 1 hour an 15 minutes.

How long have you had this model? I worry about spending another $3500ish dollars on a Cub Cadet.. it would be the 3rd one in 15 years.. each one lasting on average only 7ish years. That is not good

EDIT: Engine has never been the problem, overall quality has been.

Last edited:
Gravely. Had mine for ten years, no problems and run hard. Neighbors all love the quality of cut I get

I do, I have one of those RZT (steering wheel model) and I had to have one hydro replaced in just over 3 years.. it has slowed down so much that it takes me 2 hours to mow what once only took 1 hour an 15 minutes.

How long have you had this model? I worry about spending another $3500ish dollars on a Cub Cadet.. it would be the 3rd one in 15 years.. each one lasting on average only 7ish years. That is not good

I have an Ultima ZT-1, like @RedStones shows. Totally different from the "steering wheel" model. I've had mine just over a year (the line just came out last year, and they've expanded it to larger commercial models as well). For the price, I don't think you can beat it.

Of course, it depends on your application. I bought the ZT-1 because I'm cheap and only have a little over an acre to mow. If you're mowing 5+ acres, you'd want to go with a heavy duty model. But again, the Ultima series has a strong tubular steel frame, fabricated deck, etc. Very well built.

P.S.: If I had a huge yard and wanted the best, I'd get a Grasshopper. But I can't justify that expense on one acre.

Last edited:
I have an Ultima ZT-1, like @RedStones shows. Totally different from the "steering wheel" model. I've had mine just over a year (the line just came out last year, and they've expanded it to larger commercial models as well). For the price, I don

The ZTX4 might be something I would try.. Commercial grade, with serviceable hydro's. Won't ever buy another sealed hydro version again.

The ZTX4 might be something I would try.. Commercial grade, with serviceable hydro's. Won't ever buy another sealed hydro version again.
I can relate. I would have done the same, but couldn't justify the cost with my current yard (and financial situation).

I've only had it a few months so I cannot attest to the long term quality. It seems very well built.

I am looking at these three mowers.. I have never seen that type of mower before.

The Big Dog looks like high quality. Definitely a nice feature to have a tilt up deck. But it also looks like you're paying too much for the electronic features. I'm not much into all the electronics on a mower; just seems like overkill that will end up hurting reliability. But then, any mower built in Kansas is high quality in my book.

Spartan also seems like electronic overkill. Paying too much for added complexity that won't help function or reliability.

Can't go wrong with a higher end Toro. Though I wonder about that funky new ride system they have. Definitely would want to test ride one first.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back