• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Yahoo Sports: B1G entering preliminary discussions with Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford

Definitely best case scenario for all four schools, but especially lucky for Stanford and Cal. They don't have the swag OU and UW have. Stanford makes an intriguing possibility across all sports.

No thanks to Cal and Stanford, they are bad for business.
Yes. They use too many big words.
They’d fit right in with the cocky better-than-you self perspective that NW, Michigan, Wisconsin … and others project.

But adding them to the conference should be a hard no … because they wouldn’t add any value to the conference whatsoever. At least NU and others return viewership and attendance and streaming users.

Last edited:

Definitely best case scenario for all four schools, but especially lucky for Stanford and Cal. They don't have the swag OU and UW have. Stanford makes an intriguing possibility across all sports.
Stanford wins the Director's Cup A LOT.

They're occasionally great in football (not elite), but they're GOOD at pretty much every sport, consistently.

They are the smartypants-but-still-athletes school Northwestern wants to be when they grow up.

Neither of these schools makes an ounce of sense. We already have the majority of CA for tv purposes.

Stick with the ACC schools please.
It's going to be very expensive, maybe prohibitively so, to get out of the ACC grant of media rights deal. Oregon and Washington add national reputations and eyeballs, and increase strength of competition.

It's going to be very expensive, maybe prohibitively so, to get out of the ACC grant of media rights deal. Oregon and Washington add national reputations and eyeballs, and increase strength of competition.
You may be right but FSU's president has already gone both barrels blasting that the GOR isn't stopping them. I expect FSU to leave shortly. You don't talk like that and stay.

NO NO NO to Cal and Stanford.

They're occasionally great in football (not elite), but they're GOOD at pretty much every sport, consistently.

They are the smartypants-but-still-athletes school Northwestern wants to be when they grow up.
I agree on Stanford potentially being worth while. I don't understand why we'd want Cal. In this conference expansion/super conference world we live in, I don't understand why the B1G would pick up a school that isn't an absolute home run. Washington and Oregon are strong in both football and other sports. Stanford is more of a higher upside Northwestern in football, but really good in everything else. Besides some of the Olympic sports, Cal doesn't bring much to the table for me.

I'd rather leave the door open to expansion from the ACC or Notre Dame than waste two spots on Cal/Stanford.

It wouldn't be as bad as adding Rutgers and Maryland, just because they are in big TV markets, but it'd be pretty bad.

I liked the FSU, Clemson, UW and UO rumor better, because that would signal a crack in the ACC's GOR and pave the way to bring in ND and Stanford.

However, the streaming only deal with a base of $20M that was dropped on the PAC yesterday pretty much signaled the end for the conference. The sign in Bend now reads "RIP PAC 12...WELCOME TO B1G COUNTRY!"

B1G getting Stanford, UW and UO is a no brainer. Cal is worthless, but like the run down house next door that you buy and fix up to make the nieghborhood better.

San Fran and Seatle are large TV markets. If the B1G pulls this off, they will have 6 of the top 10 tv markets in the U.S. 7 of the Top 12.

B1G currently has 5 of the Top 10 tv markets and all of the Top 4 tv markets....that is why their media deal is strong!

Last edited:

And the Directors Cup is won because they include such sports as Lacrosse (M&W), Tennis, Water Polo, Beach Volleyball, Hockey, Gymnastics, Swimming, Soccer, Field Hockey, Rifle, Skiing, Rowing and Fencing.

Stanford to their credit fields a lot of teams in these “Olympic” sports. The collegiate competition is less in many of these sports as very few colleges field teams. Stanford has the endowment fund these sports that many schools do not have.

It’s not a level playing field and while they routinely win or finish very high in the Learfield Directors Cup it should be very low on the list of reasons why they should or shouldn’t be included in the B1G.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back