• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Wyoming walk-ons from Nebraska

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little concerned... I had put this guys highlight reel on HuskerMax before and even sent it to the Nebraska staff that Wyoming and Navy were snooping around and even put that I wouldn't offer him, but would be a great walk-on candidate. Well.... he's on his way there, and they also pulled a kid from Elkhorn South to walk-on.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/1782033/highlights/306786535' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not trying to sound alarms, but we can't let Nebraska kids walk on to out of state schools who don't get offered to go to Lincoln and do the same.

Last edited:

Hmm...any knowledge if Wyoming offered a Jano deal? Walk on here and you'll be put on scholarship your Jr/Sr years is what I believe his was originally.

Hmm...any knowledge if Wyoming offered a Jano deal? Walk on here and you'll be put on scholarship your Jr/Sr years is what I believe his was originally.

I know that wasn't the case with one of them, but could have been with this guy. And quite honestly it's ok, I get that Bohl is going to pull some in. But I think walk-on recruiting is going to take a hit without Jamrog, and it's certainly less of a priority than it has been. That's not all bad, each staff has their own idea of what is manageable numbers. But you could miss out on guys like Jano, Reilly, Utter, Gangwish, Dzuris, all guys that started for us.

I know that wasn't the case with one of them, but could have been with this guy. And quite honestly it's ok, I get that Bohl is going to pull some in. But I think walk-on recruiting is going to take a hit without Jamrog, and it's certainly less of a priority than it has been. That's not all bad, each staff has their own idea of what is manageable numbers. But you could miss out on guys like Jano, Reilly, Utter, Gangwish, Dzuris, all guys that started for us.

For sure. The Jamrog years were very very good. I find it weird they would walk on to Wyoming over Nebraska. Does Wyoming offer in-state tuition to Nebraska HS kids? I know some states do an exchange.

I am a little concerned... I had put this guys highlight reel on HuskerMax before and even sent it to the Nebraska staff that Wyoming and Navy were snooping around and even put that I wouldn't offer him, but would be a great walk-on candidate. Well.... he's on his way there, and they also pulled a kid from Elkhorn South to walk-on.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/1782033/highlights/306786535' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not trying to sound alarms, but we can't let Nebraska kids walk on to out of state schools who don't get offered to go to Lincoln and do the same.

Completely agree. Along with reasons you spelled out previously, I would think these walk ons could go a long way toward firming up relationships for the future when one of these schools produces a 4* lineman.

For sure. The Jamrog years were very very good. I find it weird they would walk on to Wyoming over Nebraska. Does Wyoming offer in-state tuition to Nebraska HS kids? I know some states do an exchange.

I know one for sure was offered to walk-on at Wyoming and not Nebraska. I would assume this guy that I emailed about didn't get a walk-on spot since I didn't hear back from them. I think it was more a case of Wyoming "showing the love" and Nebraska not.

Again, it's going to happen every year now, but I think it is just something we are going to have to live with.

Completely agree. Along with reasons you spelled out previously, I would think these walk ons could go a long way toward firming up relationships for the future when one of these schools produces a 4* lineman.

Now again, i'm not speaking on a "we missed out on a huge walk-on" platform here, I am more speaking on if these kids are walking on in Laramie, the would do the same in Lincoln. But to your point, one of their walk-ons is from a school that will have one of the bigger 2018 in-state recruits.

I know one for sure was offered to walk-on at Wyoming and not Nebraska. I would assume this guy that I emailed about didn't get a walk-on spot since I didn't hear back from them. I think it was more a case of Wyoming "showing the love" and Nebraska not.

Again, it's going to happen every year now, but I think it is just something we are going to have to live with.

Probably true. Maybe it will take time for the new staff to be more open to the guys that really want to be there and accept 15 a year without some "falling through the cracks." I would think with more time, they will have better relationships with HS coaches, and the communication lines will open up (HS coach can say "hey, he really wants to walk on and I think he's worth a shot"). Maybe the staff only wants 8-10 a year. I really don't know. You are the one who knows the scene the best, as you do talk to some HS kids. I hope they don't feel like NU brushed them off, as there was at least one walk-on (Haas?) who was the one who made contact with the staff. It might take more of that for the first year or two--HS guys reaching out instead of the other way around (which I assume Wyoming is the one contacting HS kids).

This is what happens when you let an incredible character guy like Jeff Jamrog leave the program. A huge loss for Nebraska kids. The guy in charge now sees it as a temporary job until something else comes along.

Now again, i'm not speaking on a "we missed out on a huge walk-on" platform here, I am more speaking on if these kids are walking on in Laramie, the would do the same in Lincoln. But to your point, one of their walk-ons is from a school that will have one of the bigger 2018 in-state recruits.

You'd think. Or Kansas. Maybe they see an easier path to scholarship at some of those schools, but in general if someone is walking on somewhere, they would walk on to their "dream" school if given the chance.

If I really wanted to play on gameday and had to walkon, a Wyoming makes more sense than a Nebraska.

I don't think HCMR has a practice system that deals well with large numbers of walk-ons. I seem to recall him talking about not being able to work with all the kids when he started normal practice and had 130 or something people out there.

I think I remember the same sort of thing from Callahan, but it's been a while now.

Anyways, I think you have to have a certain type of system to get 3 stations practicing at once. If you don't have or like that system you end up leaving people standing around. That was part of TO's system that worked with more scholarships too.

GBR :N:

In 7 years Solich brought in, on average, 35 walk-ons/year. Smallest class was 11.

In four years Callahan brought in, on average, 12.75 walk-ons/year. His smallest class being 9. After publicly stating he was going to reduce roster size, and specifically the walk-on numbers, he was blasted by most fans at the time or after he was fired.

In 7 years, Bo brought in, on average, 20.7/year. Smallest class was 12. Most people praised him for restoring the program.

In 2 years, as of now, Riley is averaging 10 walk-ons/year.

EDIT: Link for those interested http://dataomaha.com/huskers/class

Last edited:

In 7 years Solich brought in, on average, 35 walk-ons/year. Smallest class was 11.

In four years Callahan brought in, on average, 12.75 walk-ons/year. His smallest class being 9. After publicly stating he was going to reduce roster size, and specifically the walk-on numbers, he was blasted by most fans at the time or after he was fired.

In 7 years, Bo brought in, on average, 20.7/year. Smallest class was 12. Most people praised him for restoring the program.

In 2 years, as of now, Riley is averaging 10 walk-ons/year.

EDIT: Link for those interested http://dataomaha.com/huskers/class

Wow, I had no idea the numbers were that high. Thanks for the link. I do think it will grow a bit for preferred walk ons, and they may still have a walk on tryout day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back