• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Written tour of historical/hidden Memorial Stadium

Last edited:
Hmm. I could see it and I have no subscription. Must be one of those cases where you get a certain number of free views.

To the article, ahh, Mushroom Gardens. Brings back memories of running during the Nebraska winters in the 1980's. Nasty little track with 7 laps per mile. But it certainly beat running out in the cold.

He talks about FB players paid to paint the stadium -- and how they painted their initials at various places underneath. But his logic is faulty if he's looking for players "within a couple years of 1923" who did this.

Coming down out of my (former) seats in Row 88 of Section 17, I'd always see "Goose #23" and "Stone #15" -- which I'm guessing were painted there sometime in the late '70's or early '80's.

He talks about FB players paid to paint the stadium -- and how they painted their initials at various places underneath. But his logic is faulty if he's looking for players "within a couple years of 1923" who did this.

Coming down out of my (former) seats in Row 88 of Section 17, I'd always see "Goose #23" and "Stone #15" -- which I'm guessing were painted there sometime in the late '70's or early '80's.

Any "beer gut" painted there?

Those who went to UNL around '95 will know what I mean.

Hmm. I could see it and I have no subscription. Must be one of those cases where you get a certain number of free views.

To the article, ahh, Mushroom Gardens. Brings back memories of running during the Nebraska winters in the 1980's. Nasty little track with 7 laps per mile. But it certainly beat running out in the cold.
I used to run in mushroom gardens in the late 80’s as well. Changed in what I think was the jv/visitors locker room in the field house. Those facilities used to be pretty wide open.

I also remember actually attending a track meet it mushroom gardens. I had to have been pretty young as it would have been before devaney center opened. I remember thinking a pole vaulter was going to hit the beams

Cool story
1694813695691.png

The university hired football players to paint during the summers, and many got into the habit of writing their initials on any nook or cranny. In this corridor, some markings are squeezed onto the side of cinder blocks and below steel hand railings.
“RG,” one read. Maybe an acronym for right guard? If initials, they are lost to time, at least with official records of Nebraska letterwinners within a two-year range of 1923.
“JH,” showed another. If one indulges in speculation, it could be Ladimer J. Hubka, an end who lettered during the stadium’s first two years of existence.

Growing up I well remember wending through the internal skeleton of the stadium and up the suspended ramps to the nosebleed sections nearly every weekend during Football Season. While we are strolling down memory lane, let me fill in some blanks about the anonymous “Ladimer J(oseph) Hubka’ in the article.

Football rosters were not very informative in that day; often wrong in details such as positions played; several players having only Last names given. Ladimer, a good Czech name (sometimes spelled as Lattimer, Lattimas, Laddimer, and Ladimir, among others) settled on ‘Ladd’ as his given name. But, adding to the story, there was not One, but Two Hubkas on the Nebraska Football teams of the era.

I knew the Hubka Brothers; Ernest (Fullback 1917, 1918 & 1919) & Ladd (End 1923 & 1924). My parents were close friends with Ernie and his wife, Thelma. I even had occasion to date Ladd’s daughter, Julie, in High School. Her mother, Vivian, was an elegant lady; Like mother, Like daughter.

Both Ernie and Ladd were sturdy farm boys (contributing, no doubt, in no small way to Nebraska’s football prowess of the day), from Virginia, Nebraska. But no dummies these brothers from the farm; Each achieving prominent / illustrious careers in Law and Public Service. Ernie was Team Captain, playing End & Tackle (in addition to Fullback as shown on the roster?). He became a High School teacher; And was the Head Football Coach at the University of Omaha in 1928 (record: 4-3-1). Subsequently taking up Law, both he and Ladd practiced Law in Beatrice. Both were elected to terms in the State Legislature.

RIP Ernie and Ladd.
1694817203987.png

May Football Fortune soon return to Husker Nation.

Last edited:
View attachment 100350

Growing up I well remember wending through the internal skeleton of the stadium and up the suspended ramps to the nosebleed sections nearly every weekend during Football Season. While we are strolling down memory lane, let me fill in some blanks about the anonymous “Ladimer J(oseph) Hubka’ in the article.

Football rosters were not very informative in that day; often wrong in details such as positions played; several players having only Last names given. Ladimer, a good Czech name (sometimes spelled as Lattimer, Lattimas, Laddimer, and Ladimir, among others) settled on ‘Ladd’ as his given name. But, adding to the story, there was not One, but Two Hubkas on the Nebraska Football teams of the era.

I knew the Hubka Brothers; Ernest (Fullback 1917, 1918 & 1919) & Ladd (End 1923 & 1924). My parents were close friends with Ernie and his wife, Thelma. I even had occasion to date Ladd’s daughter, Julie, in High School. Her mother, Vivian, was an elegant lady; Like mother, Like daughter.

Both Ernie and Ladd were sturdy farm boys (contributing, no doubt, in no small way to Nebraska’s football prowess of the day), from Virginia, Nebraska. But no dummies these brothers from the farm; Each achieving prominent / illustrious careers in Law and Public Service. Ernie was Team Captain, playing End & Tackle (in addition to Fullback as shown on the roster?). He became a High School teacher; And was the Head Football Coach at the University of Omaha in 1928 (record: 4-3-1). Subsequently taking up Law, both he and Ladd practiced Law in Beatrice. Both were elected to terms in the State Legislature.

RIP Ernie and Ladd. View attachment 100353

May Football Fortune soon return to Husker Nation.
Awesome. Thanks for that. Love those Czech boys

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back