• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Winning Football

Cvillehusker

stranded in Boilermaker country
5 Year Member
While watching the game on Saturday and then rewatching was struck by the amount of times I saw plays that could of and should have been made especially on Offense. Catches that should of been made and weren't,Throws that should've been made that weren't. Blocks that weren't executed,Often when this happened I also saw players coming back to the huddle or sideline telling teammates"My Fault". While I appreciate Players taking accountability, a few errors can be overcome but when they start piling up that is very hard to overcome and that's the difference between Winning Football and just playing hard. The plays were there to win the game We Just Didn't Make them. Missed opportunities in the 1st Qtr and 2nd Qtr put unneccesary strain on what is already a challenged offense.

I am not talking about guys making Highlight reel plays, but plays that should be routinely made that weren't, Also didn't feel was lack of effort,just a lot more errors than I have seen last few games.

I am not talking about guys making Highlight reel plays, but plays that should be routinely made that weren't, Also didn't feel was lack of effort,just a lot more errors than I have seen last few games.
I think we need to remember there is only one skill player still playing our TE.

HH is never going to be called a good passer, but a big part of the passing game is timing and he and his WRs have maybe 2 or 3 weeks working together. I think a lot of what should be routine is still not routine for these guys.

I think we need to remember there is only one skill player still playing our TE.

HH is never going to be called a good passer, but a big part of the passing game is timing and he and his WRs have maybe 2 or 3 weeks working together. I think a lot of what should be routine is still not routine for these guys.
I do think its something you get more with inexperienced players. sometimes its feast or famine, There is a lot of talent there just so raw.

We have to keep in mind that this is a new staff with a lot of new pieces being put in place due to injury. Further, it’s not ideal that you are forced to have a starting QB with no D1 playing experience. This is a rebuild and we should be very grateful if, in year one, this team makes it to a bowl. Unfortunately, it’s highly likely our QB next year isn’t on the roster, so we may be starting from scratch on that issue still. Continuity and experience are force multipliers in college football. We need to get back to the point that the makeup of our team doesn’t seem like a pickup game every season.

I am a little tired of seeing a ball carrier with no blockers being confronted by one guy on our D with a chance of stopping them short of the line to gain and our guy not staying in front of him, forcing the ball carrier to run parallel to the LOS. Our guy dives at him and is one-and-done. Force the ball carrier to run into other defenders or at least try to outrun our D guy. Instead, they pull the “ole” with the red cape and let them run straight up field.

While watching the game on Saturday and then rewatching was struck by the amount of times I saw plays that could of and should have been made especially on Offense. Catches that should of been made and weren't,Throws that should've been made that weren't. Blocks that weren't executed,Often when this happened I also saw players coming back to the huddle or sideline telling teammates"My Fault". While I appreciate Players taking accountability, a few errors can be overcome but when they start piling up that is very hard to overcome and that's the difference between Winning Football and just playing hard. The plays were there to win the game We Just Didn't Make them. Missed opportunities in the 1st Qtr and 2nd Qtr put unneccesary strain on what is already a challenged offense.
Basically our entire starting offensive lineup is comprised of week 1 backups, depth chart wise.

You bring in a totally new coaching staff without a returning QB and then lose a dozen contributors, it makes things tough. Then again, so does insisting on running 5 wide with a 50% passer, exclusively back up WRs, and a patchwork OL.

I think the positive thing is everything I saw is fixable just execute the assignment, watch the ball into your hands etc.,The plays were there to win. I guess the hope is enough improvement can come these last few weeks to get us where we want to be.

Basically our entire starting offensive lineup is comprised of week 1 backups, depth chart wise.

You bring in a totally new coaching staff without a returning QB and then lose a dozen contributors, it makes things tough. Then again, so does insisting on running 5 wide with a 50% passer, exclusively back up WRs, and a patchwork OL.
I’d make a comment regarding these backups. Many were brought in or recruited to have immediate playing time. Many were projected as contributors or starters prior to the season and we were surprised they weren’t. It’s not like this offense was operating at a great level and then all of a sudden injuries forced us into a decline.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back