• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will we live up to expectations? And whose expectations?

MR has some expectations this year. I know I do

My expectations are improved play, a winning record and a bowl game. I don't think we have to take a giant leap on the 'improved play' end of things to make the other two expectations a reality.

Could this team take a significant jump? Sure. Finish '24 on the plus side of the turnover margin equation and you're winning a few more games than last year. Take advantage of the open receivers you had we simply couldn't connect with lat year and you win a few more games.

Other folks expectations are likely going to run the gamut again. Some thought we should win 8 or 9 games last year after six straight years of failing to play .500 football.

My expectations are improved play, a winning record and a bowl game. I don't think we have to take a giant leap on the 'improved play' end of things to make the other two expectations a reality.

Could this team take a significant jump? Sure. Finish '24 on the plus side of the turnover margin equation and you're winning a few more games than last year. Take advantage of the open receivers you had we simply couldn't connect with lat year and you win a few more games.

Other folks expectations are likely going to run the gamut again. Some thought we should win 8 or 9 games last year after six straight years of failing to play .500 football.
I thought six and six, so I was ball park.
8-4 this year and betting I'm ballpark again. Could we go 10-2? Its not out of the realm of possibility. Though not likely.
But the coaches are expecting more, so too are the players. We started rough last year, needed to learn to win with Michigan right in our momentums path then our qb starts getting dinged up.
This year we're greasing the skids, we beat the bluffs we are sailing.

Some thought we should win 8 or 9 games last year after six straight years of failing to play .500 football.
Guilty as charged. I thought I had witnessed all the bad football you could imagine over the SF's tenure and Mike Reilly's last season but I was wrong.

Last year's QB play set an all time low for productivity in a season. They single handedly stole defeat from the jaws of victory in at least four games. So we had a top 15 defense that would of ranked in top 10 with just a below average offense and still won 5 games

So I am going to remain an optimist and believe we get to 8-9 wins with a top 10 defense and I hope a 60th ranked offense

Guilty as charged. I thought I had witnessed all the bad football you could imagine over the SF's tenure and Mike Reilly's last season but I was wrong.

Last year's QB play set an all time low for productivity in a season. They single handedly stole defeat from the jaws of victory in at least four games. So we had a top 15 defense that would of ranked in top 10 with just a below average offense and still won 5 games

So I am going to remain an optimist and believe we get to 8-9 wins with a top 10 defense and I hope a 60th ranked offense
Yep, execution was fine, not many MA's, no one just getting outrun or outright beat very often.
But turnovers? To steal one from crab
Oof

Nebraska has enough talent on the team to be pretty good this year. They have had enough talent over the last several years to be at least a bowl team. They have upgraded at the most important position that basically cost them probably 3-4 wins last year.

I have said this along with several other people for a long time. The Nebraska football team just needs something good to happen early in the season and things could really take off. They finally have a schedule that sets up to do this.

They should start the season 3-0. All three games at home is a huge plus. If they start 3-0 that is a lot of momentum and a lot of confidence. They could then go 7-0 to start the season. Though Rutgers is going to be pretty good and I expect Illinois, Purdue and Indiana to be better. It can happen, I don't really expect it, but it can.

The only school that is going to out athlete Nebraska this year is OSU for sure and maybe USC. But USC is kind of a hot mess of a team.

I hope and think they can get 8 wins this year. I think it can happen and I think if they start out 7-0 they may get a couple more.

Nebraska has enough talent on the team to be pretty good this year. They have had enough talent over the last several years to be at least a bowl team. They have upgraded at the most important position that basically cost them probably 3-4 wins last year.

I have said this along with several other people for a long time. The Nebraska football team just needs something good to happen early in the season and things could really take off. They finally have a schedule that sets up to do this.

They should start the season 3-0. All three games at home is a huge plus. If they start 3-0 that is a lot of momentum and a lot of confidence. They could then go 7-0 to start the season. Though Rutgers is going to be pretty good and I expect Illinois, Purdue and Indiana to be better. It can happen, I don't really expect it, but it can.

The only school that is going to out athlete Nebraska this year is OSU for sure and maybe USC. But USC is kind of a hot mess of a team.

I hope and think they can get 8 wins this year. I think it can happen and I think if they start out 7-0 they may get a couple more.
I think thats where I'm at too. History shows under MR year two is when things start taking off. We seem to just be smarter and way more abused Charlie Browns, unfortunately, we've earned it.

I will wait till the team proves to be pretty good this year before I will agree that we have enough talent. Till then, I will just keep my Kool-Aid pitcher clean and not waste time mixing up a new batch that just turns bitter.

This is where I'm at. I don't think 8 or 10 wins is out of the question, I think we can have a top 50 scoring offense next year. That is an additional 12 points a game and that gives us a 10-2 record last year. Now I know it isn't that simple but yet it is. Our offense was that dismal and getting more results out of the offense should help the defense.

Now obviously this is a different schedule this year and I doubt we have a schedule with such poor offenses. I actually looked it up and the best offense we played last year was Illinois and they were ranked 60th. Total our average per opponent offense was 90th in the nation. So that might have helped our defense look really good.

On the contrary the defenses we played against averaged 52 so maybe that helped make our offense look bad. Take Colorado and Louisiana Tech out of it and our average defense was 38th so that could have also been part of the offensive problems.

This is where I'm at. I don't think 8 or 10 wins is out of the question, I think we can have a top 50 scoring offense next year. That is an additional 12 points a game and that gives us a 10-2 record last year. Now I know it isn't that simple but yet it is. Our offense was that dismal and getting more results out of the offense should help the defense.

Now obviously this is a different schedule this year and I doubt we have a schedule with such poor offenses. I actually looked it up and the best offense we played last year was Illinois and they were ranked 60th. Total our average per opponent offense was 90th in the nation. So that might have helped our defense look really good.

On the contrary the defenses we played against averaged 52 so maybe that helped make our offense look bad. Take Colorado and Louisiana Tech out of it and our average defense was 38th so that could have also been part of the offensive problems.
The Big had very little good qbing last year. We did manage to play 4 of the six best.
If you can't throw you won't run much in the Big unless you use your qb.
Add the bluffs Lil Neon we played some good qbs.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back