• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will The Big 12 Be Better Off

jtf

Recruit
5 Year Member
When TX and OU leave will Big 12 football actually be better from a football standpoint? I know financially the conference will take a hit, though they are adding some big markets.

As of the cfp rankings tonight the Big 12 will lose #13 OU and 4-6 Texas. They will add #5 Cincinnati, #14 BYU, #24 Houston and 6-4 UCF.

I know it’s only 1 year and different schedules yield different results but they will play some good ball in the Big 12. With cfp expansion on the conf might be a decent place to be (not for NU).

Without a doubt, the Big XII will be taking a hit from the perspective of losing 2 programs with storied football histories when Oklahoma (7 AP national championships) and Texas (3 AP national championships) leave the conference to join the SEC. The incoming programs (BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF) have combined for 1 AP national championship in football (BYU in 1984). So no comparison there. Even a dysfunctional Texas program will draw viewers because UTA has a lot of alums and fans. That being said, under the circumstances I think the Big XII did very well in quickly adding the new programs. Cincinnati adds a geographic rival for West Virginia. Having UCF will help conference members to better recruit Florida and perhaps more importantly, sets up the conference nicely to add another in-state school in the future (i.e., USF). Houston (5), Orlando (22), Cincinnati (30) and Salt Lake City (47) are in the top 50 MSAs, compared with Austin (28) and Oklahoma City (41).

Not to be overlooked (or underestimated), the reconstituted Big XII will be free of the Texas-created drama once the Longhorns leave the conference. The Clash song, Should I Stay or Should I Go comes to mind, lol. IMO, it is a case of addition by subtraction (excluding impact on media rights revenue, which is TBD). The Big Ten, ACC and Pac 12 have publicly stated they will support the Big XII as a Power 5 conference, which is huge for that league's future. I take this to mean deserving Big XII teams will continue to have a legitimate opportunity at being selected for the CFP. If that's the case, then enticing Luke Fickell to leave Cincinnati for another program just got a lot harder.

I think the new Big 12 will be just fine. OU should have stayed: Their upside is limited, while their downside risk is substantial. Not a good chess move. They’re boxed in. More money, but at what cost? Poor business decision long term. And they’ve paved the way for little brother to routinely upstage them.

Without a doubt, the Big XII will be taking a hit from the perspective of losing 2 programs with storied football histories when Oklahoma (7 AP national championships) and Texas (3 AP national championships) leave the conference to join the SEC. The incoming programs (BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF) have combined for 1 AP national championship in football (BYU in 1984). So no comparison there. Even a dysfunctional Texas program will draw viewers because UTA has a lot of alums and fans. That being said, under the circumstances I think the Big XII did very well in quickly adding the new programs. Cincinnati adds a geographic rival for West Virginia. Having UCF will help conference members to better recruit Florida and perhaps more importantly, sets up the conference nicely to add another in-state school in the future (i.e., USF). Houston (5), Orlando (22), Cincinnati (30) and Salt Lake City (47) are in the top 50 MSAs, compared with Austin (28) and Oklahoma City (41).

Not to be overlooked (or underestimated), the reconstituted Big XII will be free of the Texas-created drama once the Longhorns leave the conference. The Clash song, Should I Stay or Should I Go comes to mind, lol. IMO, it is a case of addition by subtraction (excluding impact on media rights revenue, which is TBD). The Big Ten, ACC and Pac 12 have publicly stated they will support the Big XII as a Power 5 conference, which is huge for that league's future. I take this to mean deserving Big XII teams will continue to have a legitimate opportunity at being selected for the CFP. If that's the case, then enticing Luke Fickell to leave Cincinnati for another program just got a lot harder.
It’s likely CFP expands, though it might take a while. In any of the three models it’s likely the Big 12 champ gets an auto berth, or essentially does. Agree Fickell will be harder to pry from Cincinnati.

tenor.gif

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

TexAss & OU are better stay in the Bevo Conference. Won't even be able to beat Vandy in the ESPN Conference (aka SEC) ;)

Last edited:
okie st and baylor will make out well in this re-alignment. Cincy does too. they get back into a p5 level conf. think of this with cincy, while in the big east, their HC's were Mark Dantonio, Brian Kelly, and Butch Jones. not a bad HC history.

i also agree with others that its going to be way more difficult for another school to pry fickell away from cincy when hes got a legit shot at a playoff spot.

who knows what the future holds, but our great grand children may be having a debate over who is a blue blood and these 3 schools maybe considered in that convo since they will have a easier schedule compared to the other p5 schools. texas will suck in the SEC, and sooners will be above avg. however the SEC designs their divisions, sooners will be second fiddles at best.

OU will do better than most people think.. They will probably have to make some changes on both sides, but they will be fine.

The Big XII would be better with Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Texas.

Those idiots have ran their conference into the ground.

They ran off the top HALF of their conference. Let that sink in.

Imagine the SEC running off Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee and Ole Miss.

Or the Big Ten chasing away Ohio State, Michigan, MSU, PSU, Iowa and Wisconsin.

The people running the Big XII are idiots.

Last edited:

The Big XII would be better with Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Texas.

Those idiots have ran their conference into the ground.

They ran off the top HALF of their conference. Let that sink in.

Imagine the SEC running off Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee and Ole Miss.

Or the Big Ten chasing away Ohio State, Michigan, MSU, PSU, Iowa and Wisconsin.

The people running the Big XII are idiots.
Agreed. Texas actually ran a lot of programs off. Now they aren’t satisfied with what they made, so they’re packing up the toys.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back