• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will Nebraska Ever Reclaim Its Mojo?

New York Husker

Heisman
20 Year Member
As Nebraska scored its final TD of the 1998 Orange Bowl to take a 42-9 lead over #3 Tennessee, the Nebraska faithful had to wonder, would it ever get any better than this?

Who knows.

Anyway, top priority, return to bowl bound and reenter Top25 Coaches Poll. Sugar on top, CCG

XmaBKzh.png

Last edited:
Will the Huskers win 3 out of 4 years NC like the old days? Highly unlikely but programs like the Huskers have fallen down and risen once again with the right HC imo. OK had some lean years and came back to dominate the B12 when Stoops took the program over. So yea the Huskers can come back and win the division regularly (if there is one) play in BIG CCG's, make some good bowls and finish in the Top 15 fairly often. It simply takes the right HC and an excellent coaching staff to make that happen. I believe our fans would be thrilled if the program could accomplish those things. Lets all hope that journey begins this season.

We recruit well enough to be perennial top 25.

I'm not sure how NIL will effect things. Do we get an advantage that pushes us to top 10?
Do we at least get as successful as TO was before his final 5 seasons?

It depends on what you mean by regaining its mojo. Do I think Nebraska can become a perennial 8-10 and occasionally 11 win team, yes. I think that is very possible. Do I think Nebraska can get to the point where at the beginning of every season they say the favorites to be in a 4 team playoff are OSU, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma and Nebraska I say no.

All the advantages that Nebraska had backing in the glory days do not exist anymore.

gotta aim to be good, hope you can gradually build up to great. we’ve been aiming for great, turning up our nose at good, and ending up with bad. we’ll keep getting the same results if we stick with that approach.

Depends upon your time frame, both looking backward and ahead. When I started watching (actually listening to them) they had just been defeated in the Rose Bowl jan1, 1941 by a team using a new formation that we could't solve (the T formation). Minnesota was champion of the country at that time, and we reguarly had good hard fought games with them. Then there was the drought during the 40s when winning something like five games was a good year.

Then Devaney came in and made full use of players that usually could not qualify for admission, a new kind of muscle building and endurance building approach, 100 plus scholarship players, etc., and we were pretty good again, even winning a mythical Nattie in 70-71. TO carred that forward though he had a very difficult time beating Oklahoma. He retired from coaching in 1997 after assembling truly great teams and it hasn't been the same since.

So which mojo are you talking about. I don't want them to continue with the current revival of their miserable seasons in the 40s and fities even though at one time that was kind of their mojo.

I'd like to see them get back to consistent 8 - 10 win seasons with a good upset or two every year. I think that's doable though not every year. We'll get an inkling if this staff in this environment now can do that.

But as for getting our mojo back,if you mean a national champion contender regularly, probably not. We had real advantages in those days that we most likely cannot get again.

Only if you will only be satisfied with undefeated seasons will a regular 8 -10 win season be seen as underperforming.

Last edited:
As Nebraska scored its final TD of the 1998 Orange Bowl to take a 42-9 lead over #3 Tennessee, the Nebraska faithful had to wonder, would it ever get any better than this?

We will when MJ is announced at the end of our season, 2022, as our new HC!

Will the Huskers win 3 out of 4 years NC like the old days? Highly unlikely but programs like the Huskers have fallen down and risen once again with the right HC imo. OK had some lean years and came back to dominate the B12 when Stoops took the program over. So yea the Huskers can come back and win the division regularly (if there is one) play in BIG CCG's, make some good bowls and finish in the Top 15 fairly often. It simply takes the right HC and an excellent coaching staff to make that happen. I believe our fans would be thrilled if the program could accomplish those things. Lets all hope that journey begins this season.

That’s all you need, the right HC and an excellent coaching staff?

Do the players have any role in this return to greatness?

According to our new highly respected wide receiver coach, that room needed an upgrade in both culture and talent. Is he right?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back