• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why recruit high schools any more?

Gilbert wasn’t kicked off the team to my knowledge (feel free to correct me or yourself there). He took a year off and they supported him. He was on the team this season. That’s my understanding anyway.

He was also All SEC as a freshman at LSU.

He was also considered the best TE prospect in the past decade in 2020 by several sites. There isn’t a HS kid I’d take over a kid like that.

But I’m with you on not scrapping HS of course. I just think the focus should be on developing HS linemen because they don’t tend to transfer as often. Beyond that, win now with whoever gives you that opportunity. Best case is to bring in transfers with multiple years to play. That’s closer to recruiting HS than grad transfers.

I don’t think these times will work to wait around and hope kids stay and develop and wait their turn. You have to be proactive and preemptive and constantly upgrade. That’s the bed the players made. So be it.

You'll need to read the thread in the recruiting forum for more info. I went digging for a bunch of info when I learned of the transfer (the highest ranked TE recruit in history doesn't leave a national championship program close to home without some unique circumstances). Another poster provided much more info. Also, if you check the 2022 Georgia roster, Gilbert's name isn't on it. He was at Georgia to start the season, not to finish. Name removed.

He is, however, still on the 2021 roster: https://georgiadogs.com/sports/football/roster/2021?sort=name

Last edited:

You'll need to read the thread in the recruiting forum for more info. I went digging for a bunch of info when I learned of the transfer (the highest ranked TE recruit in history doesn't leave a national championship program close to home without some unique circumstances). Another poster provided much more info. Also, if you check the 2022 Georgia roster, Gilbert's name isn't on it. He was at Georgia to start the season, not to finish. Name removed.

He is, however, still on the 2021 roster: https://georgiadogs.com/sports/football/roster/2021?sort=name
Thanks.

You still, I think, need to have the base of recruiting as HS kids. You just have to. Without that, to me, it would be tough to have a consistently good team. Everyone on the same page. Might be harder to get it all working as one. It’s great to fill in based on your needs. It’s easier to overcome 10 transfers, versus 20-30, every year. The youth is important for potential longevity. You have to have some of that in a program.

Last edited:
A question from Rebecca Lobo:

The answer is 'No'.

One begets the other.

Transfers used to be something of a rarity, other than from a JUCO or FCS to FBS. Now it's wholesale and it's not all one way.

Lobo seems to be intimating that it's disloyalty on the part of coaches is what's led to the transfer numbers by players. I think it's naive to think a coach should just stick with the kid they have if they're not performing and a better option becomes available. Kids now transfer out because they're not getting the immediate PT they think they are owed.

You still, I think, need to have the base of recruiting as HS kids. You just have to. Without that, to me, it would be tough to have a consistently good team. Everyone on the same page. Might be harder to get it all working as one. It’s great to fill in based on your needs. It’s easier to overcome 10 transfers, versus 20-30, every year. The youth is important for potential longevity. You have to have some of that in a program.

The relationships created with kids and coaches at the high school level will always exist or should always exist. A kid has to sign.....somewhere....coming out of school. That first commitment might not be as valuable as it was prior to the portal, but it's still the basis for a good part of each school's roster in any given year. The big turnover years seem to still be part of a coaching change, like we're seeing this year at Nebraska. I also think we'll see a reduction in the number of kids entering the portal when the novelty wears off.

Not that many because it ruins the class distribution. I don't think after this year you'll see this staff take this many transfers.
I agree with you here. He is filling up the gaps this year and creating massive amounts of competition in the meantime. I would imagine that the players that stayed from last year are thinking “shoot I better work my arse off because they just got a bunch of recruits at my position “. The ones that don’t think that way will be in the one on one meetings after spring practices with the reality check from their coaches.

Last edited:
If I was a coach in todays world I’d be blowing in the breeze in regards to my recruiting strategies. If it’s a strong year for HS go for it. If there are great JUCO opportunities go for it. If the transfer portal loads up go for it. Being locked into a single one might blind you from opportunities that might be a perfect fit for your present team needs.
I think you hit it on the head sir. I think Ruhle is in perpetual search for TALENT”. I don’t think it matters to him where he gets his talent. In the ideal world I would want to get to the point where we just reload with the freshman recruits that he has developed his way. What he is doing now is a stopgap to get the team up to best best standards he can before spring practice. This is going to be very interesting to watch this process unfold. I’m excited for sure

Transfer players are also commonly big unknowns. Oftentimes, they didn't live up to expectations at their previous school. Nebraska has whiffed on transfers about or at least as often as they've hit. I'm sure that's the case everywhere.

The other drawback with relying mostly to completely on transfers is the rapid roster turnovers. This will create some team chemistry issues.

I personally believe players out of high school should always be the foundation of your roster. And then fill in gaps with transfers. I highly doubt the rapid roster turnover by relying completely on transfers will lead to greater success.
Bingo....

Why would a team like Nebraska ever bother recruiting high school athletes again?

1. HS athletes are a big unknown. Many will not successfully make the transition to college football. With the transfer portal, you have proven athletes that can help right away.

2. HS athletes that do make the transition to college football can transfer when they get disgruntled. Portal athletes can't transfer again unless they have completed undergraduate studies. You can coach them hard.

Why not let the D2s have all of the high school talent? Those that emerge as elite, pick them off through the portal at a later date.
I think the transfer portal can be a valuable tool for Nebraska. We've seen success with it this year, as we've been able to pull in (as far as recruiting rankings go) bigger talent than we would generally be able to do in the high school ranks. I think if the goal is to bring in 5* guys, our time is better spent in the portal.

That said, guys are in the portal for a reason. Guys enter the portal for some reasons that aren't a big deal to a future school: coaching changes, moving closer to home, looking to jump from FCS/D2/JUCO to FBS, etc. However, most of the reasons guys leave are things that would make you worry a little bit: lack of playing time, injuries, didn't get along with coach, off the field trouble, academics, etc.

HS kids you get the opportunity to mold and develop. You get four+ years to try and mold them into the player you want them to be. Chemistry improves when you have the same people around each other for a longer period of time, rather than trying to throw together a new team every spring.

Your second point about being able to coach transfers harder could be true in some cases, but I'd say is more often less true. Did guys leave their previous school because they didn't like being coached hard? Now what happens when you do coach them hard? I'd say you could end up in worse situation where you have a guy that doesn't want to work becoming a cancer that you can't get rid of. Also, guys hit the grad transfer mark a lot sooner than they used to. Given many HS kids enroll early and take classes during the summer, guys can be ready for grad transfer by Year 3.

I think the portal is a valuable tool, but I'd warn not to go to the extreme and say it should be the only way. If our coaches are doing a good job of bringing in the right type of kids through either avenue, we should be more successful. I think each offers its own unique benefits, but they need to work together, not exclusively.

Right, a 5 to play 4 is preferable to a transfer. In your system for 4+ years, learning your system, bonding with other HS guys and building chemistry. However, a mix of transfers and HS guys is apparently the path Rhule wants tom take, at least for the present.

Last edited:
Right, a 5 to play 4 is preferable to a transfer. In your system for 4+ years, learning your system, bonding with other HS guys and building chemistry. However, a mix of transfers and HS guys is apparently the path Rhule wants tom take, at least for the present.
The transfers are to try to avoid losing early on, fill immediate holes. It’s likely necessary right now. They also got some dudes that will be here more than one year mostly. Going forward, I’d expect NU to be hitting HS hard, with Texas schools leading the way.

Where would Manning go if not to Texas

Giants or Denver or the Colts

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back