• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why is FL different.

If you figure out the answer and why a team like Indiana thrives, i'm all ears.

As an alum of both schools I follow IU a bit as well. It may be that the florida recruits they have gone after have not necessarily been as high on the recruiting boards as the few that we have gone after. We have tried to swing big down there. My point being that perhaps with them going after more of the three star Florida kids, not a bad thing, they maybe getting some hungrier guys that one, have not skipped around as much in high school and maybe do not view themself as a big commodity to jump around. They have started to get some high profile guys but if they built a group around the 3 stars early on, now there is a greater number to build more of a "Florida" feel to the players. Does that make sense? Kind of going after guys with a chip on their shoulder and building on that.

It's because of all the idiots that move into Florida from other places like New York. Florida is a great place, it's the intruders that make it suck. Think of liberal Cali morons moving to Texas, come to think of it, I hope Cali phuckers take over Texas, Texas Texas. :p
I didn't hold back. Florida is AWESOME. Cali is too, except for the trashy libs that make policy there.
Save that talk for Hot Topics

As an alum of both schools I follow IU a bit as well. It may be that the florida recruits they have gone after have not necessarily been as high on the recruiting boards as the few that we have gone after. We have tried to swing big down there. My point being that perhaps with them going after more of the three star Florida kids, not a bad thing, they maybe getting some hungrier guys that one, have not skipped around as much in high school and maybe do not view themself as a big commodity to jump around. They have started to get some high profile guys but if they built a group around the 3 stars early on, now there is a greater number to build more of a "Florida" feel to the players. Does that make sense? Kind of going after guys with a chip on their shoulder and building on that.
Great post. I know speculation on your part but it is at least a reasonable theory.

Much like Okie St....living off the OU-Texas rejects and producing good classes and good results. They live in the top 15 and spend a fair amount of time in the top 10. Not a bad formula.

Last edited:

One has to understand that you can’t broad brush ANY state to any one culture. FL should be 2-3 states as far as culture goes. The panhandle can truly be considered LA (lower Alabama) and a southern extension of Georgia. The middle section is full of transplants as many have stated here, and when you start to make the bend it takes on a life of its own, especially when you approach the Miami-Dade area. You might as well be on another planet once you are recruiting in that area. Most areas of the state you are recruiting mama as well, in Miami you are dealing with “handlers” at times. Ridiculous, but true.
I have no idea about why our FL are being so fickle and departing at such a high rate.

Much like Okie St....living off the OU-Texas rejects and producing good classes and good results. They live in the top 15 and spend a fair amount of time in the top 10. Not a bad formula.
True, Gundy has his system and recruits to it well. If UN lived in the realm of Okie (just to continue to use them as the example), the husker fan base would be ecstatic for 2 years, but when those all too frequent 7 win seasons pop up it would be coaches head chopping time.
I like the chip on the shoulder aspect. That is why the walkon is so important-they will give it their all. Many of those 3 stars in florida I am sure are waiting around for the gators, hurricanes, or seminoles to come calling but "settle". Give Allen credit for creating a positive spin up there to program to develop those guys who stayed around.
Let's also look at the "500 mile footprint" Indiana or has-all can agree that having Ohio, Tennessee, parts of Georgia, Pennsylvania, and on an on is better then the northern half of Huskers circle of influence.
Also (I make this point in another thread), flights. Choose miami, can't get a direct flight from most Florida airports to Lincoln, and maybe an orlando-to Oma still exists. To Indianapolis? much easier. Perspective in Florida is rampant about playing in a cornfield-and the FS1 broadcasts that start off showing a fallen cornstalk with snow on it doesn't help to change the perspective.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back