• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who follows Moos

I’m going to respectfully disagree with you here. Football at UNO wasn’t being attended and flat out wasn’t very popular. I went to the games and no one was there. As far as wrestling yes they had money from donations but the truth is a vast majority of the population doesn’t pay any attention to wrestling at all. Basketball is a sport where you don’t need near as many players as football and a lot cheaper to operate. Today they have a basketball/hockey arena and a new field for baseball and softball. They had to make some changes for title 9 and the athletic department wasn’t doing well when he took over. UNO is in a much better position today than it was before Trev. That being said I don’t think he should be Nebraska’s next athletic director.
Weird, when I was there shortly before the sport was punted, it was packed at some of the football games depending on the game. Not sure when you attended games or if it is relevant to this or not.

How are they in a MUCH better position? I'd like to see numbers not opinions, because I'm genuinely curious. It certainly hasn't done jack squat for them in the sports as far as championships go. Again, no one in the Omaha metro gives a crap about UNO basketball or baseball. Hockey is the only thing that has a significant draw and they're no better off then they were.

I guess when it comes down to it, I don't a 2 shites about the money, even though I have a hard time believing they are MUCH better off, but the opportunity that was stolen from local kids to play D2 sports. Most people that disagree aren't from the Omaha area and didn't play sports in Omaha. Omaha kids don't want to go to BFE Chadron or the Dakotas.

Well, if ”position” only matters as it relates to Championships, NU has probably fared worse than UNO. I think you measure more than that when evaluating the AD job. UNO has a lower bar for sure.

Weird, when I was there shortly before the sport was punted, it was packed at some of the football games depending on the game. Not sure when you attended games or if it is relevant to this or not.

How are they in a MUCH better position? I'd like to see numbers not opinions, because I'm genuinely curious. It certainly hasn't done jack squat for them in the sports as far as championships go. Again, no one in the Omaha metro gives a crap about UNO basketball or baseball. Hockey is the only thing that has a significant draw and they're no better off then they were.

I guess when it comes down to it, I don't a 2 shites about the money, even though I have a hard time believing they are MUCH better off, but the opportunity that was stolen from local kids to play D2 sports. Most people that disagree aren't from the Omaha area and didn't play sports in Omaha. Omaha kids don't want to go to BFE Chadron or the Dakotas.
I tried to do some digging but it’s hard to find all the actual revenue numbers. Also hard to figure how inflation would have affected things. UNO is surviving on a 6.8 million dollar budget. They have always and will always struggle financially. Football is expensive and I understand why they cut it. Title 9 was definitely a factor. I understand what your saying about Omaha athletes having a place to go locally. I can feel for that. We just disagree on this.

That's what i'm curious about. Why did they need to go D1 in everything? Was there something wrong with their model of D1 hockey and D2 everything else? I actually liked it but have no skin in the game and am out of the loop on it. The extent of my knowledge is that the BOR would never let two wrestling and football programs be D1 in the state for Univ of Nebraska.
If I recall correctly, I think the hockey rules changed where they had to go D1 in everything and couldn’t mix.

If I recall correctly, I think the hockey rules changed where they had to go D1 in everything and couldn’t mix.
I don’t recall that. Link?

If I remember correctly it was about getting hockey in a better conference. Which again, has done nothing for them, in fact they can’t even fill the arena for a lot of games.

Last edited:
I tried to do some digging but it’s hard to find all the actual revenue numbers. Also hard to figure how inflation would have affected things. UNO is surviving on a 6.8 million dollar budget. They have always and will always struggle financially. Football is expensive and I understand why they cut it. Title 9 was definitely a factor. I understand what your saying about Omaha athletes having a place to go locally. I can feel for that. We just disagree on this.
We can agree to disagree. I like many of your posts.

This happened post Title 9 and things were running just fine. Last I heard they’re also not making enough money for the arena they built. Idk Trev had some behind the scenes deal with Lincoln, but it was not for the greater good of our state. And if it was about getting more Omaha kids to walk on to Lincoln, that was an epic fail especially in today’s portal world

We can agree to disagree. I like many of your posts.

This happened post Title 9 and things were running just fine. Last I heard they’re also not making enough money for the arena they built. Idk Trev had some behind the scenes deal with Lincoln, but it was not for the greater good of our state. And if it was about getting more Omaha kids to walk on to Lincoln, that was an epic fail especially in today’s portal world
Since I can’t find any real data to back up either of our opinions I suppose it’s just opinion. You may be right. It’s crazy they operate on such a small budget. They are down 2.8 million this year from last year. Maybe that’s covid. Hockey is definitely the big thing but baseball and basketball can attract some attention when winning. The new baseball stadium looks nice and I like that it’s right next to Baxter arena. It wouldn’t surprise me to hear it’s not making money. I’m sure the Ralston arena doesn’t help. How the heck the city decided to build that is beyond me.

Well that would make sense.
My daughter went to Minnesota State Mankato which has D1 hockey, they made the frozen 4 this year, but they compete in the same conference as Wayne State in all other sports, so I don't think that is the case. But I could be wrong.

My daughter went to Minnesota State Mankato which has D1 hockey, they made the frozen 4 this year, but they compete in the same conference as Wayne State in all other sports, so I don't think that is the case. But I could be wrong.
Well now I’m frustrated all over again.

With the financial hit of Covid and an aging fan base, I doubt Davison would get a look. There is too much at stake and they will need someone very strong and experienced. I hope we keep Moos for a few more years.
I couldn’t agree more hopefully they’ll try to keep Moos as long as possible however it would be an excellent idea to give Davison more responsibilities and eventually make him the assistant AD . He’d learn from Moos and the AD position would be settled for years to come. He’s got to be a football guy. Look at what Alvarez did for Wisconsin and Carr did for Michigan. Carr was tough to replace and Alvarez will be just as difficult.

I couldn’t agree more hopefully they’ll try to keep Moos as long as possible however it would be an excellent idea to give Davison more responsibilities and eventually make him the assistant AD . He’d learn from Moos and the AD position would be settled for years to come. He’s got to be a football guy. Look at what Alvarez did for Wisconsin and Carr did for Michigan. Carr was tough to replace and Alvarez will be just as difficult.
I have nothing against Davison but times have changed tremendously since Alvarez and Carr got their gigs. With the financial stakes ahead, and the creativity needed to navigate us out of a bottom dweller in the BIG will require someone with some stripes to handle the gig. I am also not sure what Davison does outside of being a football announcer?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back