• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who else may transfer?

I think given that we are topheavy by 2-3 schollies, SF could tell the players ANY infraction over the spring/summer WILL result in dismissal. The few guys on the cut line (whom I'm sure SF would let them know who they are--I'm assuming Sr noncontributors) will be have to be let go if everyone keeps their nose clean, or, their teammates might let them off the hook.

intense motivation to stay out of trouble this summer.

So when Adrian Martinez gets MIP’d or Tate Wildeman gets rung up for stealing chips from a Subway you want to end their career to clean up schollies? Fortunately we won’t be that close to the number, but this seems like a sure fire way to create some problems down the road.

Side note: I’m sure these are good dudes, and I used them only as examples of guys we wouldn’t want to kick for minor infractions perpetrated by many a college student.

I don't enjoy speculation on this topic. It will happen by itself. It's never a good thing when a player leaves. It means resources were wasted and mistakes made. I hope it becomes less common under Frost.

Would Newell be a grad transfer or would he have to sit out a year?

Grad transfer I believe, and it won't help our numbers since he is a senior. We are already recruiting to replace him in 2019 class.
Yes, he would be a grad transfer as he just graduated. It would help our getting to or under 85 for this fall, which is the immediate concern correct? If I were Newell, I would be looking to transfer somewhere I could play. He has already red-shirted. I just think the young ones are too good and the coaches would probably go that route absent a disastrous injury bug. For your down linemen you have Stoltenberg, the Davis twins, Deontre Thomas, Damion Daniels and DaiShon Neal. That is six right there, and I have left out Freeman (definitely a DE). Only Thomas is eligible to red-shirt; but no way you'd do that (if he got injured would be the only way). As a practical matter isn't Newell only likely to play one of two positions on the line (what used to be called base end and nose tackle)?

Last edited:
Yes, he would be a grad transfer as he just graduated. It would help our getting to or under 85 for this fall, which is the immediate concern correct? I know you are concerned about 2019 numbers, but if I thought the immediate concern is getting to or below 85. If I were Newell, I would be looking to transfer somewhere I could play. He has also already red-shirted. I just think the young ones are too good and the coaches would probably go that route absent a disastrous injury bug. For your down linemen you have Stoltenberg, the Davis twins, Deontre Thomas, Damion Daniels and DaiShon Neal. That is six right there, and I have left out Freeman (definitely a DE). Only Thomas is eligible to red-shirt; but no way you'd do that (if he got injured would be the only way).
We are at 85 already and will be closer to 80 by fall camp. Immediate concern is trimming the fat as we are at our number already.

I don't enjoy speculation on this topic. It will happen by itself. It's never a good thing when a player leaves. It means resources were wasted and mistakes made. I hope it becomes less common under Frost.
It’s going to be higher as we transition for sure, but it’s part of college sports. It’s also not as black and white as you make it sound. If we keep recruiting 4* QBs every year, for example, guys are going to transfer out. It doesn’t mean resources were wasted. It means we filled the room with talented guys and they don’t want to ride the pine their entire college career. Gebbia could be one such guy next year if he doesn’t win the job. I don’t think he’d be considered a mistake or waste of resources, just a guy who couldn’t beat out a crazy talented kid. And it’s possible he added to the program while here.

I think given that we are topheavy by 2-3 schollies, SF could tell the players ANY infraction over the spring/summer WILL result in dismissal. The few guys on the cut line (whom I'm sure SF would let them know who they are--I'm assuming Sr noncontributors) will be have to be let go if everyone keeps their nose clean, or, their teammates might let them off the hook.

intense motivation to stay out of trouble this summer.
I don't think that Coach Frost will cut anyone. It will work itself out. I can't even fathom Coach Frost cutting someone to whom the University gave a scholarship and for whatever reason has not seen the field.

I understand the noncon-argument, but I just don't see it happening.

I do agree that it is great incentive to stay out of trouble.

Last edited:
It’s going to be higher as we transition for sure, but it’s part of college sports. It’s also not as black and white as you make it sound. If we keep recruiting 4* QBs every year, for example, guys are going to transfer out. It doesn’t mean resources were wasted. It means we filled the room with talented guys and they don’t want to ride the pine their entire college career. Gebbia could be one such guy next year if he doesn’t win the job. I don’t think he’d be considered a mistake or waste of resources, just a guy who couldn’t beat out a crazy talented kid. And it’s possible he added to the program while here.

No, I don't believe filling a room with players with Gebbia's qualities is a mistake and I do see him helping the program as a starter or not. Gebbia's hypothetical transferring will likely be due to the transition and the only mistake in that case will have been the hiring of Mike Riley to whom we are still sending a check each month. It's all necessary at this point I guess. I would just rather focus on who will be here and the things we are doing well.

I disagree with this. You are never going to bat 1000, whether it's in recruiting, hiring sales guys or enlisting soldiers. Better to have those folks move on to an opportunity which is a better fit and open up a slot for someone who's a better fit in your organization. Doesn't mean there isn't some heartache along the way.

I don't think that Coach Frost will cut anyone. It will work itself out. I can't even fathom Coach Frost cutting someone to whom the University gave a scholarship and for whatever reason has not seen the field.

I understand the noncon-argument, but I just don't see it happening.

I do agree that it is great incentive to stay out of trouble.

The same way TO didn't?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back