• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who did we pass on that might have worked?

Actually, Solich was fired for MIke Sherman. Pederson was convinced he’d leave Green Bay even though he showed little interest in the job when first contacted. That was apparently the top secret “wow“ hire.

Next up was Kansas City OC Al Saunders. He was very interested and even began assembling a staff including former Nebraska DC, Kevin Steele. Ultimately, the Chiefs gave him a raise to $1 million per year and said he’d be Dick Vermeil’s successor, so he stayed in KC.

Nutt was 3rd man up and we know how that went. He blinked 11th hour.

Dallas DC Mike Zimmer was #4. He also parlayed Nebraska interest into a raise to $1 million and stayed with the Cowboys.

And Zimmer’s agent? He just happened to also rep Oakland Raiders coach Bill Callahan.
I didn't realize (or had forgotten) Sherman and Saunders had offers. I do remember they were in the rumor mill.

I didn't realize (or had forgotten) Sherman and Saunders had offers. I do remember they were in the rumor mill.

It's paywalled but Max Olsen and Mitch Sherman of The Athletic wrote a very long article about Pederson's coaching search and pretty much everyone involved except SP went on the record.

Perlman is quoted as saying Pederson was "very positive" Sherman would take the job and "that was a problem." Sherman expressed no interest in leaving the Packers.

Saunders went on record that he would have taken the job had the Chiefs not promised him the head coaching job when Vermeil retired, a promise they didn't fulfill as the job went to Herm Edwards.

In a parallel universe, a staff with Saunders, Steele and longtime KState OC Ron Hudson would have been pretty solid.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back