• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Who Came Up With the 16 Team Super Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they should do it the way they do in some soccer leagues. Four 16 team conferences, but the bottom 2 teams in each conference on a 2 year average get relegated to the rest of the FBS and the top 8 teams of the FBS take over spots in the 4 superconferences for 2 years.

Egads! Will it ever end? I'm getting dizzy! :lol: Whatever happened to the Big 6? ;)

It was me....back in 84 or 85. I've just been waiting for everyone to get on board. :stirthepot:

don't like it. Never have. 16 is a good, round number. No idea where it came from. The big conferences discussed above would virtually eliminate the non-conference schedule. 5 big conferences makes more sense than 4.

agree izzy, 16 is just a nice round number, divisible by so many other numbers, that is all, it works for basketball and maybe volleyball, but it works WORST for football. if you gonna have 16 teams and play each other 2ce per decade, why have a conference at all. 12 is still the best #. The 16 team conferences will be manageable, yet very "professional, cordial," yet not in the least bit friendly, its becoming more and more like the NFL, and thats not good.

Who Came Up With the 16 Team Super Conference?

Texas, in 1996.

But we told them that we'd only take half their stinking family and didn't let Houston, Rice, SMU and TCU into the party.

:lol:

Actually I think it was the other way around. When the possibility of a Big 8/SWC merger was first kicked around I think Nebraska and all of the Big 8 schools wanted a straight merger between the 2 conferences with the Big 8 schools forming one division and the 8 remaining SWC schools after Arky bolted forming the other. But UT wanted to rid itself of its urchin children and wanted to just bring itself and A&M to the Big 8 forming a new 10 team league. However the governor of Texas at the time was a Baylor grad and Texas Tech had too many alumni in the state legislature to allow them to be left behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back