• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Who Came Up With the 16 Team Super Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpride1982

Recruit
5 Year Member
This 16 team super-conference stuff has been out there for awhile, but my question is, who's to say they stop at 16? If the B1G could get the right people, what makes people think they won't go for 18 or 20?

Just curious where the 16 number came from.

I don't know that there is anything sacrasanct about 16 teams, except that it allows for evenly divisible divisions and plays into the idea that there would be a way for the BCS schools to have their own league (of about 64 teams). There has always been the haves and the have-nots and the BCS schools would prefer to have more and not have to share the revenue with the rest of the FBS schools. The move to 4 superconferences has been in the works, I believe since the BCS was started several years ago.

18 or 20 would essentially be 2 conferences for scheduling; with a partner agreement to have the 'division' winners play a championship game with the other half.

Think of it as adding the MAC to the Big Ten... there are already a number of 'cross-over' matchups each season, it seems.

I thought it was Obama; while he was shopping for his daughters during "fight all disease and pray for world peace" month and ladling out soup to former pub office holders.

The other question I would have is who are the 4 super conferences? I would think the Pac12, B1G, and SEC are solid. That leaves the ACC and Big 12 to duke it out for the remaining conference. I would think that the ACC has the upper hand being they already have more members then the Big 12 right now and seem to be more proactive in expanding. That leaves a land grab for Texas and Oklahoma.

Would it make sense to see who survives out of those two before the B1G seeks its last two teams, pursue the high profile teams out of which conference they think is going to fail, or go beyond 16 teams?

Rutgers and Maryland are most certainly not the end-game. Even with added BTN carriage fees, it's break-even. ESPN is not chomping at the bit to pay top dollar for tier one rights fees for Rutgers vs. anybody.

I think the Big Ten is about to raid the ACC to make the first super conference. All I know is that if Nebraska ends up giving up annual games with Michigan, MSU and Penn St. and ends up playing Ohio St. and Wiscy once per decade, it's just not worth it.

Last edited:

Was just talking about this tonight with a buddy. If I were Delaney, I might go for 20 or 24: Florida State, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia Tech, NC State, Syracuse... Something like that.

Waiting only means fewer teams will be available. Make two 12-team divisions and call it good. A real superconference!

I'm not sure four 16-team conferences is realistic since there are more serious teams than 64, especially considering the Indianas of the world aren't getting kicked out.

Last edited:

Was just talking about this tonight with a buddy. If I were Delaney, I might go for 20 or 24: Florida State, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia Tech, NC State, Syracuse... Something like that.

Waiting only means fewer teams will be available. Make two 12-team divisions and call it good. A real superconference!

I'm not sure four 16-team conferences is realistic since there are more serious teams than 64, especially considering the Indianas of the world aren't getting kicked out.

I think they should do it the way they do in some soccer leagues. Four 16 team conferences, but the bottom 2 teams in each conference on a 2 year average get relegated to the rest of the FBS and the top 8 teams of the FBS take over spots in the 4 superconferences for 2 years.

I think they should do it the way they do in some soccer leagues. Four 16 team conferences, but the bottom 2 teams in each conference on a 2 year average get relegated to the rest of the FBS and the top 8 teams of the FBS take over spots in the 4 superconferences for 2 years.

Something like this would be great, but there isn't an effective governing body that could implement it. We can't even have a playoff that everyone knows is the only competitive way to determine championships. Instead we have bowl and conference fiefdoms angling for dollars. CFB is just as broken as Congress: too many competing self-interests and too few willing to work for the good of the whole.

The other question I would have is who are the 4 super conferences? I would think the Pac12, B1G, and SEC are solid. That leaves the ACC and Big 12 to duke it out for the remaining conference. I would think that the ACC has the upper hand being they already have more members then the Big 12 right now and seem to be more proactive in expanding. That leaves a land grab for Texas and Oklahoma.

Would it make sense to see who survives out of those two before the B1G seeks its last two teams, pursue the high profile teams out of which conference they think is going to fail, or go beyond 16 teams?

That lets Colorado out! :rolfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back