• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who Are we Still Targeting

When should we have fired him? Before the season started? Firing him after the season would not have given us time to fire MR and get Frost or for that matter any other coach. We would have been another year behind and quite frankly.......we ended up with a better recruits than the "all about me" prima donna's that the past staff had been getting.

We should have fired him the spring before or after the season. Just because something worked out doesn't mean it was the right choice. Bounds, Green, and Moos all reiterated that Riley had a chance to prove himself, but my opinion is that they put him in a no-win situation. I'm happy with the results, just not with the process to get there.

We should have fired him the spring before or after the season. Just because something worked out doesn't mean it was the right choice. Bounds, Green, and Moos all reiterated that Riley had a chance to prove himself, but my opinion is that they put him in a no-win situation. I'm happy with the results, just not with the process to get there.
The spring before was NOT an option. Nobody knew the melt down was coming......some anticipated a bad season and didn't like the coach from the beginning but nobody knew that he was going to put together a firable season. Waiting till after the season would not have gotten us a new AD followed by a new coach in a timely manner. The process was appropriate for the situation.

The spring before was NOT an option. Nobody knew the melt down was coming......some anticipated a bad season and didn't like the coach from the beginning but nobody knew that he was going to put together a firable season. Waiting till after the season would not have gotten us a new AD followed by a new coach in a timely manner. The process was appropriate for the situation.

I'm going off what they said, which is that it was not because of Mike Riley and his performance.

“Mike Riley is our football coach,” Green told reporters. “We expect him to compete. This is not about Mike Riley.”

If that's the case, then let him go beforehand. If it was because of football (which is a fair thing to think even with the quote), then let Riley go and appoint an interim. Don't string them along in a no win situation. The rampant discussion for the next coach started immediately for media and fans. The writing was on the wall.

Not to mention at the time, Nebraska was 1-2 after a close loss to Northern Illinois. We had not melted down yet.

If that's the case, then let him go beforehand. If it was because of football (which is a fair thing to think even with the quote), then let Riley go and appoint an interim. Don't string them along in a no win situation. The rampant discussion for the next coach started immediately for media and fans. The writing was on the wall.

Not to mention at the time, Nebraska was 1-2 after a close loss to Northern Illinois. We had not melted down yet.
They were NOT in a no win situation. Mike Riley had the opportunity to play himself into another year. They failed and they failed miserably. The firing of SE allowed us to be in position to do something if Mike Riley did fail and that is on him. You can try to spin it any other way but the timing and the process was exact. Firing MR mid season and appointing an interim coach from that staff would have done NOTHING to help the situation. Did you really want either of our Coordinators also serving as head coach? They couldn't handle their own job yet alone additional duties. If anything that would have put them in the no-win situation.

As for being 1-2 with a close lost to Northern Illinois not being a melt down that is by anyone's opinion very subjective. However I was referring to the season long melt down in which people started anticipating after the Northern Illinois loss. By the way...….being 1-2 with a close loss could also be interpreted as saying 1-2 with a close win over Arkansas State.

They were NOT in a no win situation. Mike Riley had the opportunity to play himself into another year. They failed and they failed miserably. The firing of SE allowed us to be in position to do something if Mike Riley did fail and that is on him. You can try to spin it any other way but the timing and the process was exact. Firing MR mid season and appointing an interim coach from that staff would have done NOTHING to help the situation. Did you really want either of our Coordinators also serving as head coach? They couldn't handle their own job yet alone additional duties. If anything that would have put them in the no-win situation.

As for being 1-2 with a close lost to Northern Illinois not being a melt down that is by anyone's opinion very subjective. However I was referring to the season long melt down in which people started anticipating after the Northern Illinois loss. By the way...….being 1-2 with a close loss could also be interpreted as saying 1-2 with a close win over Arkansas State.

It was a no-win situation because any and every decision made was under an umbrella of doubt for the future. No one was giving him another year which is why recruiting (the main topic) went to crap. That kind of nebulous dread can derail any coach's future.

The reason you fire him is so that you can be honest in your search for a new coach. If you think the season was already a meltdown, then why does it matter if the interim would be any good? If the 4-8 was a foregone conclusion, let Riley go. If he really has a chance, don't fire his boss until his chance is up so you can show support rather than just saying it.

I love Husker football, but that doesn't mean they can't make mistakes in the handling of a situation. Just like not firing Bo after he dared him to fire them which would have taken the heat off the "firing a 9-win coach" argument, or not firing Solich after the 7-7 season.

I'm also done arguing as I'm not going to derail the thread. I'll give you the last word if you want it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back