• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Whipple's offensive approach

I remember the last time we had a coach come in who wanted an NFL style offense. Hoping Whipple is much better at this. I believe he is from what I've read. Just make it happen.
You mean the offense where we kept the offensive coordinator when we fired the head coach because the offense didn’t need to be fixed and we wanted to maintain that offensive progress while we revamped the defense?

I also hope Whipple does even better than Callahan did on offense here.

Last edited:

I remember the last time we had a coach come in who wanted an NFL style offense. Hoping Whipple is much better at this. I believe he is from what I've read. Just make it happen.
Lot of parallels with Riley. Older dude. Pass first, pro-style QB. If we are lucky and get a decent QB in the portal maybe this works out. Of course it won't unless the OL gets fixed.

This guy will have a successful offense, always has, but it will have a running game based on his previous history:

While at New Haven, his 1992 squad finished 12–1 and ranked No. 5 nationally. The team led all NCAA divisions in scoring offense (50.5 points per game) and total offense (587.7 yards per game). His 1993 New Haven team was named Sports Illustrated's "Best Offense in College Football" while averaging 52.5 points and 557.6 yards of total offense per game. His 1993 squad ranked as high as No. 2 nationally.

In 1994, he was hired by his alma mater to serve as head football coach at Brown University, where he spent the next four seasons. While at Brown, his 1997 squad set Ivy League and school records for total offense (474.3 yards per game) which included a single-game record of 629 yards against Yale. His 1995 team set several single-season records including most points (282), total offense (4,165 yards), passing offense (2,502 yards) (60/40 pass/run) and first downs (227).

In his first stint as coach of UMass from 1998 to 2003,[3] he won the NCAA Division I-AA national title in his first season at the school.[3] His UMass teams rewrote the record books, setting more than 40 team records. In 1998 his national championship team posted school records in points scored (524), touchdowns (73), total yards (7,074), passing yards (4,050) (57/43 pass/run), completions (306), and first downs (354).

Looks pretty darn good to me :)

GBR

Lot of parallels with Riley. Older dude. Pass first, pro-style QB. If we are lucky and get a decent QB in the portal maybe this works out. Of course it won't unless the OL gets fixed.

There was discussion on 1620 this morning about perhaps the o-line has been unfairly maligned this year. The argument was that the QB simply held onto the ball too long. It's clear that AM held onto the ball too long on some plays. But its an interesting question whether it was a systemic problem (that was avoidable with another QB). I did wonder why we didn't do more quick hitting passes to take the pressure off the line. We always seemed more interested in getting the big play than just picking up shorter gains.

There was discussion on 1620 this morning about perhaps the o-line has been unfairly maligned this year. The argument was that the QB simply held onto the ball too long. It's clear that AM held onto the ball too long on some plays. But its an interesting question whether it was a systemic problem (that was avoidable with another QB). I did wonder why we didn't do more quick hitting passes to take the pressure off the line. We always seemed more interested in getting the big play than just picking up shorter gains.

Yep. Our passing game has been feast or famine. Watching the NFL teams, they win championships on short and intermediate timing throws. They both loosen up the run, and set the DB's up for an occasional long ball. Yeah, it seems we'd rather score or punt.

Jovan Dewitt of North Carolina

“I think he does a good job of having plays for players, if that makes sense,” Dewitt said. “He does a good job of finding ways to generate explosive plays for his players as opposed to saying, 'We’ve got these standard plays that we run regardless of who’s in there.' Everybody has their staples, right? But I think he does a good job of manipulating his guys into creating bad matchup issues for your defense.”
This is the quote that excites me the most. I feel like one issue we've had in the past isn't that we are calling plays that don't work, but that we are calling plays that don't work for us. Too much trying to stick a square peg in a round hole.

Good coaches find ways to maximize their players and put them in positions to succeed. If Whipple can do that, I agree, we should have a lot to be excited about.

Number of things to unpack here:
  • It is true, the bad OLine play wasn't always on the OLine. Martinez did a lot of holding the ball waiting for something to develop downfield, rather than hitting the check down and take the easy yards. You can only hold the ball so long before the line can't block anymore.
  • Martinez scrambling ability saved us a lot this season, but it was a double edged sword. His instinct to scramble and leave the pocket set up situations where it was difficult to block because the area of protection changed mid-play. After running for his life the last four years, I can't blame him wanting to get out of the pocket, but this did play a factor as well.
  • All that being said, it is pretty clear statistically and from watching the games that we just weren't very good on the line. Should the play calling have been different to try and hide our deficiencies? Probably. But, that doesn't take the blame off the performance of the line.
  • The call to make big plays was a response to our deficiency from two years ago. We turned into a dink and dunk team that couldn't do any explosive plays. We'd put together a couple of first downs, but eventually would get stopped. This year's offense flipped the script and wanted to make those big plays to try and open things up and get defenses on their heels. Honestly, it worked. We had a lot of big plays. Problem was big plays aren't consistent and you have to be able to score in the red zone when the field shrinks. Our offense couldn't do that.

Yep. Our passing game has been feast or famine. Watching the NFL teams, they win championships on short and intermediate timing throws. They both loosen up the run, and set the DB's up for an occasional long ball. Yeah, it seems we'd rather score or punt.
Or get the punt blocked

Just Whip it. Whip it real good. GBR!!!
RUSPYeHHRQ2Na.gif

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back