• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Which senõrs are coming back?

I bet we have a better idea after the next 2 games. :thumbsup:

Some might announce that the last game of this season “is” their last game.

My favorite senor....

89E7DD64-30D9-4BD2-8E2D-9C24C1C22092.png

What exactly are the rules? Did all players get an additional year of eligibility regardless simply because this was a Covid year? Or are there some conditions? If you played so many games in 2020 it counts as a year.... or something like that?

If there is any hope for this team, I am more concerned about getting playing time to develop our younger players.

What exactly are the rules? Did all players get an additional year of eligibility regardless simply because this was a Covid year? Or are there some conditions? If you played so many games in 2020 it counts as a year.... or something like that?
All players on all rosters, regardless of division, are granted a COVID redshirt year for fall 2020 sports. That doesn’t mean that there is a scholarship for them. And 5th year senõrs must be full time graduate students to be eligible.

The NCAA has not issued guidance on the granting of additional scholarships; they likely will not. Most schools cannot afford to fund an entire extra class of scholarships for what would amount to 4 years. It would take that long for all of the spare years to run their course. It’s a mess really.

Last edited:
@WestTexasHusker

So....in our case we’d literally be granting about 65 players with an additional year but not on scholarship....

and at 50k a year let’s say an added 3 million onto somebody’s scholarship payroll over the next four years...but not football

Because the NCAA has a limit on scholarships TOTAL on a team. Which means kids....if they want to stay would play as a graduate....and are in a graduate program but his scholarship will NOT be funded by Football....

Am I seeing this right?

@WestTexasHusker

So....in our case we’d literally be granting about 65 players with an additional year but not on scholarship....

and at 50k a year let’s say an added 3 million onto somebody’s scholarship payroll over the next four years...but not football

Because the NCAA has a limit on scholarships TOTAL on a team. Which means kids....if they want to stay would play as a graduate....and are in a graduate program but his scholarship will NOT be funded by Football....

Am I seeing this right?

I have just texted an athletic director friend of mine regarding whether the school has the option to extend a scholarship and go above the limit. I believe that they can, but many schools - including his - are not offering this because there are not sufficient funds to do so. You are effectively adding an entire class of new scholarships to fund, in an environment where many colleges are being forced to gut their budgets due to COVID.

It’s affecting the big boys too - recall Barry Alvarez back in the spring, saying (paraphrase) “we will not be granting an extra year of scholarships...life sucks, things happen, but it’s time to get on with life.” So that is clearly an indication of how Wisconsin is handling the issue.

This is the way the NCAA should have handled it for all institutions. Instead they punted the issue to the schools to let them be the bad guys. It really left member schools in a jam. Typical leadership vacuum in Indianapolis.

Last edited:
Hell, were are so desperate we find the money. One way or another.

Barry can afford to be tough.

I’m not sure we can. At least for the next couple years

Ok...just got my answer...another year of scholarship IS permitted by the NCAA, taking schools above their traditional limit, but it is not REQUIRED, and is offered for seniors only.

His school IS offering it, and 80% of the seniors at his school are returning and using the scholarship $$$ toward a graduate degree, though he is aware that many schools are not offering this.

However, graduates DO have an extra year of ELIGIBILITY. So we might cabbage onto a few Wisky seniors and pay them to come to Lincoln for a super senior year. The NCAA made a mess of this.

Last edited:

Funding super seniors can be a trap...your 2020 recruiting class might crash. Joe Sixpack now has 4 classes, plus his own, to compete against for playing time. Anyone who signed a NLI would likely have cause to have it revoked.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back