• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Which schedule and result would you rather have?

davidadurNU

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Nebraska's

Nov 13 Sac. State Won 83-61 1-0
Nov 15 Mary (ND) Won 70-38 2-0
Nov 19 La. Tech Won 65-54 3-0
Nov 24 vs. Dayton Won 80-78 4-0
Nov 25 @UCLA Lost 71-82 4-1
Nov 27 vs. Va. Tech Lost 53-66 4-2
Nov 30 @Clemson Lost 58-60 4-3
Dec 3 South Dakota Won 73-61 5-3
Dec 7 Creighton Lost 62-77 5-4
Dec 10 @Kansas Lost 72-89 5-5

Or

Rutgers

Nov 11 Molloy Won 86-57 1-0
Nov 13 Drexel Won 87-66 2-0
Nov 17 @DePaul Won 66-59 3-0
Nov 20 Niagara Won 78-65 4-0
Nov 23 North Texas Won 66-53 5-0
Nov 25 Hartford Won 77-75 6-0
Nov 30 @Miami (Fla.) Lost 61-73 6-1
Dec 3 Morgan St. Won 72-58 7-1
Dec 6 CCSU Won 79-37 8-1
Dec 10 @Stony Brook Won 71-66 9-1
Dec 14 F. Dickinson Won 82-69 10-1

On one hand, Rutgers has played only one team with a pulse and lost. I clicked through a couple teams and didnt see one team over .500 that they have played, let a lone a good basketball school. Rutgers is being praised on BTN, basketball places, etc but they do mostly say "havent played anyone, but 10-1 is 10-1".

On the other, you have Nebraska who has played the toughest schedule in basketball and we're clamoring for fired coaches, better players, and etc etc.

I think this will set us up better for Big Ten play, but I also would like to buy some wins to balance that schedule out. It's an interesting topic for sure but just wanted to add my input to the basketball forum while we are on an 8 day break.

Adding this tidbit in: WOW

Nebraska's five losses have come to teams with a combined record of 43-4. The Huskers close non-conference play with home games against Gardner-Webb (Sunday) and Southern (Dec. 20).

Losses notwithstanding, I very much have liked the 'tough' non-con schedule, I'd like to see continuing tough non-cons; seems to help keep the team focused, nor do you run the risk as much of losing to a cup-cake; i.e. incarnate Word, Samford.

We've been competitive (we have not dropped much in KenPom ratings despite losing) and seen a lot of good basketball in the process. We will see if the tough non-con has helped this young team get ready for the B1G Conference Grind (and how well Rutgers' schedule has prepared them).

A competitive showing in B1G Conference play combined with our strong Strength of Schedule could potentially set us up for a post-season invitation.

Rutgers will definitely enter the Big 10 with a false sense of security. Odds are they suck. Strong odds.

NU's schedule could be a smidge easier for my tastes. Probably a little dumb luck too. UCLA wasn't guaranteed. Creighton is a game you're scheduling regardless and obviously isn't a perennial top 10 program. So kansas is the one game you know when you schedule it that it's going to be a top 5-10 program.

I'd be pissed if I was a season ticket holder paying for Rutgers' schedule.

Rutgers will definitely enter the Big 10 with a false sense of security. Odds are they suck. Strong odds.

NU's schedule could be a smidge easier for my tastes. Probably a little dumb luck too. UCLA wasn't guaranteed. Creighton is a game you're scheduling regardless and obviously isn't a perennial top 10 program. So kansas is the one game you know when you schedule it that it's going to be a top 5-10 program.

I'd be pissed if I was a season ticket holder paying for Rutgers' schedule.
Looking at those teams, I'd been plenty pissed off too.

I like the tougher games in the non-conference. Maybe not this tough but quality teams that Nebraska has to play well to win.

Personally, I'd like something in between. Tone down the schedule strength a little bit while still playing a good SOS that prepares you for conference play. I'm obviously not an AD/HC, but if I were, my scheduling strategy would be to closely evaluate and predict what type of team you will have in the future and try to get them to 9 wins while still challenging them. If I had a loaded team, I'd want to put land mines all over the schedule. If I had what looked to be a bad team, or a very inexperienced team, I'd have quite a few cream puffs. Of course, what would have been nice this year is somewhere in between. If you can get team 9 non-con wins with the best RPI possible, it sets you up for conference play. Going .500 will get you 17 wins going into the conference tourney. Getting 10 wins in conference puts your right on the bubble going into tourney play.

Unfortunately, it's not an exact science. They built this roster knowing that we'd be green, but they also built it thinking that Syracuse's leading scorer would be on it too. Also, when they built the schedule, I'm not sure they anticipated that the SOS was going to be the hardest in the country. Some of those teams ended up being significantly better than they had predicted I'm sure.

It is what it is and people can get over it. Did people think that we were going to the NCAA tournament this year? Was that the expectation? I believe most people thought the NIT would be a good goal this year. Well guess what? NIT teams go .500 against the #1 hardest schedule in the country.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd like something in between. Tone down the schedule strength a little bit while still playing a good SOS that prepares you for conference play. I'm obviously not an AD/HC, but if I were, my scheduling strategy would be to closely evaluate and predict what type of team you will have in the future and try to get them to 9 wins while still challenging them. If I had a loaded team, I'd want to put land mines all over the schedule. If I had what looked to be a bad team, or a very inexperienced team, I'd have quite a few cream puffs. Of course, what would have been nice this year is somewhere in between. If you can get team 9 non-con wins with the best RPI possible, it sets you up for conference play. Going .500 will get you 17 wins going into the conference tourney. Getting 10 wins in conference puts your right on the bubble going into tourney play.

Unfortunately, it's not an exact science. They built this roster knowing that we'd be green, but they also built it thinking that Syracuse's leading scorer would be on it too. Also, when they built the schedule, I'm not sure they anticipated that the SOS was going to be the hardest in the country. Some of those teams ended up being significantly better than they had predicted I'm sure.

It is what it is and people can get over it. Did people think that we were going to the NCAA tournament this year? Was that the expectation? I believe most people thought the NIT would be a good goal this year. Well guess what? NIT teams go .500 against the #1 hardest schedule in the conference.

Cream puff city for me. Get those W's.

I take Rutgers's schedule.

You build programs through scheduling and recruiting.

As a player I'd love the tougher schedule, and I'd definitely see it as a bonus if I'm a recruit. Playing top competition in venues outside of the same ones you'll be seeing the next 4 years is something you take into consideration.

It is what it is and people can get over it. Did people think that we were going to the NCAA tournament this year? Was that the expectation? I believe most people thought the NIT would be a good goal this year. Well guess what? NIT teams go .500 against the #1 hardest schedule in the country.

I like this post, though I will take the tougher schedule as is. Especially if Nebraska is able to show it has learned anything and can improve by facing that competition ... this would bolster a young squad and build all-important confidence.

Looking for some moxie in B1G play, and am enjoying watching Morrow grow as a player for Nebraska.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back