• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Where does the current staff wind up?

Couple things, first, there's a reason a head coach likes to keep most of his staff together. When you are teaching something new you want to have as many people familiar with it as possible to help with your culture and install of your offense/defense. I would imagine most of Frost's staff would come with him, except for a few guys. I wouldn't blame him one bit. "The best coach money can get" only gets you so far, as you have no loyalty to the coach, only the dollar, lose out on the things I mentioned earlier with "fit" to the current head coach, and someone will always outbid you.

Second, who would come over?

Chinandler is coming unless they give him the UCF job after Frost leaves
Austin is coming to coach the OL
Held will come here to coach RBs and would be in charge of JUCO stuff I think
Ruud may come and take over LBs
Duvall an Epley disciple would almost certainly come with him
I think his QB coach would come with him as well.

I've brought this up before, but Parrella will be an interesting case study. Frost is aware of how many directions he will get pulled with this job, he will have multiple people like Jason Peter telling him he needs to retain Parrella. I like keeping one or two guys from the previous staff to help with the transition.
There are a few in my list above that are probably tweeners and could be offered more to stay at UCF but it's all a crap-shoot. Parrella is definitely the wild card and Frost could be put in a tough spot and it will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

There are a few in my list above that are probably tweeners and could be offered more to stay at UCF but it's all a crap-shoot. Parrella is definitely the wild card and Frost could be put in a tough spot and it will be very interesting to see how it plays out.
Agree... I think we need to get over the "you can assemble the best staff possible" because we have seen just how bad it can be for communication and chemistry this year. Let a coach bring in who he's comfortable with. But he will have a few spots he needs to hire people, we will be able to pay what he needs to get someone maybe he couldn't afford when he went to UCF.

Not exactly "current staff" but Banker just tweeted that he'll soon be coaching football again. . . is he hooking back up with MR on the flip side????

Assuming Moos scraps the whole thing and reboots with a new coach, where do our current coaches land?

I'm betting Riley retires or moves to some kind of semi-regular broadcast thing, as an occasional color commentary guy. I don't see him taking on another FBS/FCS head coaching gig.

I think both Langsdorf and Diaco land either solid coordinator gigs or possibly a head coaching role at an FCS school. For what it's worth, I don't think Langsdorf's offense is "flawed" as much as it's not a fit for Nebraska. He could do very well with an air raid team like Texas Tech or Washington State. Same for Diaco, although I think the 3-4 could possibly work at NU. He just likely won't get enough time to figure things out. He probably lands a lateral role with another FBS team needing a defensive overhaul.

The rest of the coaches are a toss up, but both of the Williams are top notch guys and solid recruiters. Position coaches have the luxury of not being responsible for play calls, so even though this year was a failure for NU they can probably plug into about anywhere and hit the ground running.

Last one I'll mention - Cav. Wondering if he also retires. His OL philosophy is just backwards, IMO, and you need a deep bench to run the full B1G schedule. He might drop to some FCS/Group of Five school but I honestly think he takes his payday from NU and calls it quits.

Langsdorf will go NFL or somewhere like San Jose St.
Rumor is Diaco is the next DC at Wayne State
Cav - it won’t be coaching

Why would OSU hire them back, when they were on the hot seat before they left?
Because history has shown that Oregon State and Mike Riley like each other and are like a high school sweetheart couple. Break up one day and are back together the next day only to break up the following week as long as they're together for prom.

My question is did Frost get who he wanted for his staff at UCF given it is a G5 team? Frost would have more money/prestige at NU to be able to hire bigger name assistants. Not saying he doesn't like his staff, but would he try to make upgrades moving to NU?
A fair number of his guys are UCF guys. I think he brings the NE/IA contingent with him. Especially the S&C guy. DC will come too.

As crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised to see Riley back in Corvallis in some capacity. He still owns a house there if I'm not mistaken, loves the area and could use a bit of time off after his experience in Lincoln.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back