• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Whats this stuff regarding Trev?

I was asking for citations to the specific applicable law(s) that treats students in these situations as "victims" with the onus being on the schools to protect them. Q&A programs are not citations to the specific laws that you referenced. While they might rise to a Title IX policy violation (assuming the school has adopted an individual policy), relationships between student and professor/coach, that in and of itself does not make them illegal by law(s). As with most things, there are additional facts that are required.

And yes, there are examples of when a student and professor/coach employed by a school with Title IX policies prohibiting such conduct generally, can engage in sexual or other relationships without any hint of a Title IX violation. Makes it difficult to have actual laws outlawing the conduct, when it is otherwise perfectly acceptable.
I would love to read about such an example...student/professor relationships are a violation under most, if not all, major universities' policies....again because of Title IX...
a federal law.
Ignore what law exactly? Is there some duty by UNL to inform future employers of complaints that are filed? Should be an easy answer.

Are student/coach relationships per se illegal? I haven't seen anything that says they are. For sure ill-advised and beyond moronic for one of the parties to be married and doing it, but against the law?
They are a violation of UNL policy RP 3.3.15 which exists because of Title IX...which is a federal law.

I would love to read about such an example...student/professor relationships are a violation under most, if not all, major universities' policies....again because of Title IX...
a federal law.

They are a violation of UNL policy RP 3.3.15 which exists because of Title IX...which is a federal law.
UNL policy isn't the law though. It's simply an employer's policy, which Love violated and was terminated (allowed to resign apparently).

Title IX (I know it's federal though I'm not sure how that matters here) doesn't prohibit the relationship.

UNL policy isn't the law though. It's simply an employer's policy, which Love violated and was terminated (allowed to resign apparently).

Title IX (I know it's federal though I'm not sure how that matters here) doesn't prohibit the relationship.

Title IX prohibits sexual harrassment, which the Courts have interpreted to include consentual relationships between a student and a professor and thus universities have policies against such relationships because they violate Title IX.

Good Lord, this has been established law for decades now.

Just go read UNL's policy as it explains in detail why such relationships are prohibited.

Last edited:
Those specials just about bankrupted Gage County...ignore the law all you want, the plaintiff's attorney will just use it as a powerful sword in their case.

The real issues is how UNL responded after the inappropriate relationship was discovered.

IMO UNL needs to settle this before more dirt comes out, but I'm just a farm kid from Nebraska, so what do I know?
Are you “ignoring” your statement about strict liability? What “specials” or law is it you think is being ignored?

I already stated that what actions were or weren't taken after the “secret” (quote from the Complaint) are likely the biggest issue(s).

Well, we know that you don’t know that strict liability is not an issue. We also know that you and probably everyone commenting on this post have absolutely no idea what evidence and defenses the university have.

Title IX prohibits sexual harrassment, which the Courts have interpreted to include consentual relationships between a student and a professor and thus universities have policies against such relationships because they violate Title IX.

Just go read UNL's policy as it explains in detail why such relationships are prohibited.
I can't find any cases that specifically say "consensual relationships between faculty and student are sexual harassment by definition". I'm sure some cases, based on the facts, found that, but nothing that says it's per se illegal. Which cases are you talking about?

Can NU simply claim she lied and refused to cooperate in their investigation or do they need additional cause?
I wouldn’t claim it unless there’s evidence to support the claim, but yes, if she lied and/or refused to cooperate, that ain’t going to help her case.

Are you “ignoring” your statement about strict liability? What “specials” or law is it you think is being ignored?

I already stated that what actions were or weren't taken after the “secret” (quote from the Complaint) are likely the biggest issue(s).

Well, we know that you don’t know that strict liability is not an issue. We also know that you and probably everyone commenting on this post have absolutely no idea what evidence and defenses the university have.
And now somehow a school policy is the same as federal law.

I would be shocked if Title IX holds that consensual relationships between two adults (a faculty member and a student) are per se illegal because they equal sexual harassment.

In my post-undergrad work, I had a professor that married a TA of his (she was WAY younger, easily within the timeframe of Title IX). He was still teaching (and still hiring only young women TA's...). If what he did was illegal, how was he still teaching? I'm even willing to bet that if I looked, he violated school policy on dating/sleeping with.

You don't think the University has proven attorneys with experience in Title IX cases? I'm not sure she will get a substantial settlement. She might, still lots of unknowns, but the filing of a complaint is only the beginning.
If they didn’t consult their Title IX counsel before taking action, they deserve to write a check for stupidity. Tho, I doubt they failed to do that.

a federal law.

They’re married.

Still waiting for video to surface with a group of attorneys beating the hell out of one person and killing them....I have seen videos with LE engaging in this behavior, but I am sure at some point video will surface showing the mean and bad attorneys ganging up on someone and killing them or seriously injuring them.
Yours is a totally righteous profession.

And now somehow a school policy is the same as federal law.

I would be shocked if Title IX holds that consensual relationships between two adults (a faculty member and a student) are per se illegal because they equal sexual harassment.

In my post-undergrad work, I had a professor that married a TA of his (she was WAY younger, easily within the timeframe of Title IX). He was still teaching (and still hiring only young women TA's...). If what he did was illegal, how was he still teaching? I'm even willing to bet that if I looked, he violated school policy on dating/sleeping with.
There was a time when people kind of looked the other way at this type of stuff! Society has changed and has definitely become sue happy!

As defined by Title IX and the university's policies related to Title IX enforcement, "Sexual harassment" means conduct on the basis of sex that includes unwelcome conduct. Title IX does not per se prohibit consensual conduct between student and professor. Courts have interpreted them to violate Title IX where the conduct is unwelcome, and where in the case of entity, the entity has failed to adequately respond to a Title IX complaint.

In the college setting, I cannot locate any case that holds that a consensual relationship between professor and student alone violates Title IX. Perhaps you can provide a cite?

UNL policy RP 3.3.15 is unrelated and not required by Title IX. Nowhere in that policy is Title IX referred to. It is contained in the total policies if the university system and is a condition of employment, existing in the same section that describes things like vacations, which are totally unrelated to Title IX. Additionally, within that very policy related to conditions of employment, it makes room for consensual relationships between professors and students.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back