• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Whatever

Did you see the quick slant open there? I believe that’s what the play is supposed to be. A play action to freeze defenders for just a second, then a quick pop to a guy on a slant and we are out to the 25 in one play. If it works, it’s a brilliant call, if not, then it’s the worst ever.
Why would you put a first game starter in that position knowing your OL sucks at pass blocking?

I understand what you’re saying but with this offensive line the play action took too much time. For some reason neither quarterback has been good hitting our guys on a easy slant pattern. Eyes fixated down field? To quick to panic and hit the outlet? I’m not a quarterback expert but I didn’t like that play call.
If the play was supposed to be what I think it was, that play action wasn’t too time consuming. It’s a very quick play, fake the handoff, rise and fire. His dropping back was after he missed the open guy. To your point, it was a play that may have been more than the experience of the QB suggests, but he made just about every other one asked of him. It would have been a stroke of genius if it worked. Instead, it was a horrible result and put more pressure on the new kid than was necessary.

Why would you put a first game starter in that position knowing your OL sucks at pass blocking?
That’s the point, they don’t have to block long because the play action slows them a little, and the pass is supposed to be almost immediate. When the pass wasn’t thrown, the entire play fell apart. I’m not blaming Smothers, because he may have seen something or just wasn’t comfortable, but I think I understand what was supposed to happen.

LS had one judgment play today that was likely a stupid decision which was the interception

the fumble was a mechanical error not a decision

our four year starter makes 3-5 dumb plays a game if we are lucky
Mechanical error? Lmao. Man, you guys have reached new levels.

Question, who made the freaking mechanical error? Good gawd.

Frost gets a fifth year. OK, fine. Whatever.
But his career record at Neb is now 15-29.
The season ends at 3-9, which is the worst record since 1957.
And the three teams Neb actually managed to beat in 2021?
Fordham...FCS school which finished the year at 6-5
Buffalo...MAC school which finished the year at 4-8
Northwestern...B1G school currently 3-8

:Whiteflag:
Next year Scott will have his guys or something... :Koolaid2:

He made the exact same mistakes. Their stat lines are almost identical. Late interception to cost Nebraska any chance, fumble to further lose momentum and give up points. The safety in the end zone while flipping the ball out there. Looked almost identical.
And that there is a damning statement on AM. He has been playing for 4 years and the guy who played 4Q looks exactly the same to some.

Stop the press, we may agree on something. However, I’m not sure that INT wasn’t a read that the QB saw one thing and the WR another. And if I were to guess, I’m thinking the WR who hasn’t been known for running the right routes may have been the one being a little stupid over the coach’s kid. I thought the safety might have been his poorest decision in the fact he scrambled back into the endzone deeper. I hated the play call, but the kid did miss an open TE (I believe) who was wide open right after the snap.
Well your intuition was correct.

PFF determined that the WR broke the wrong way on the interception and DID NOT charge it to LS

LS overall graded out at 77 which i believe is right at or the highest grade for a husker QB this year.

for those who said I was being subjective here are third party facts to chew on

LS played a good game, particularly for a first time starter. SF betrayed the team with his fourth quarter play calling

Frost gets a fifth year. OK, fine. Whatever.
But his career record at Neb is now 15-29.
The season ends at 3-9, which is the worst record since 1957.
And the three teams Neb actually managed to beat in 2021?
Fordham...FCS school which finished the year at 6-5
Buffalo...MAC school which finished the year at 4-8
Northwestern...B1G school currently 3-8

:Whiteflag:
Teams Nebraska lost to in 2021?
Illinois- Finished 5-7; 4-5 in league play
Oklahoma- Finished 10-2, both losses to Top 10 opponents. Ranked #13
Michigan State- Finished 10-2. Only team to beat Michigan. Ranked #11
Michigan- Finished regular season 11-1. Division champ. Ranked #2
Minnesota- Finished regular season 8-4. 2nd in West.
Purdue- Finished regular season 8-4. No bad losses. Upset MSU and Iowa.
Ohio State- Finished regular season 10-2. 2nd in the East. Ranked #7
Wisconsin- Finished regular season 8-4. One win away from title game.
Iowa- Finished regular season 10-2. Division champ. Ranked #15

ESPN FPI Strength of Schedule ranked #6 in the Nation.

I'm not saying you are wrong to be disappointed about the season, but you can make the argument that the only loss we had that is a "bad" loss was Illinois. Felt bad at the time, got less bad as the season went on, but still is a game we should win.

While we were in every other game and could have won/should won a lot of them, the teams we lost to this season finished with an average record of 9-3. Not like we lost a bunch of gimmies.

I'd say they're pretty equal as it stands right now. Smothers is faster. That's all he has on AM at this point.
There are certainly a lot of similarities.

Smothers is quicker, but still seems to be learning his bearings moving around in the pocket. AM does a better job of slipping out of the pocket. Smothers quickness reminds me more of Luke.

I think early on he had great composure. Once things started going south in the 4th, he seemed to get more rattled than you'd want to see.

Didn't get much of a sample size on Smothers passing. The throws he did make (minus the interception) looked better than most of the ones Adrian throws. However, especially late in the game, Smothers checked down way too much. It was refreshing to see a check down, since Adrian almost never utilizes it. But at that point in the game, check downs weren't going to get us into the end zone. At some point, you do have to force some passes into coverage and allow your receiver to make a play. Not every pass is going to be to a wide open receiver.

Smothers certainly wasn't inept, which was what we would have guessed based on AM playing with as many injuries as he has. That being said, I don't feel like we are "problem solved" with Smothers at QB either. Regardless of who is the starting QB next year (Smothers/AM/transfer), there will have to be development at the position to get to where we want to be.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back