• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What will the Huskers record be next year?

Defense was not very good at times . . . but the offense sank the team, singlehandedly, in 2019. Offense needs to be leaps and bounds better next year. They cannot suck again.
no question our offense was bad this year... play calling, player performance, all the above.... But our D could not get off the field on 3rd down for 2 seasons. To me, that is really hard to watch.

I am afraid that DONU is secretly the butt of jokes by other coaching staffs, you know, "You better get us now".
So far DONU staff has only showed they know one way and one way only to win a football game: we will out score you (Yes, I remember we beat MSU in the snow 9-6 in 2018; an aberration). This makes us easy pickings to other coaching staffs, hence the jokes after Scott's remarks.
It appears that other teams realize that we have this one dimensional focus and are not a threat to win games by any other method, so we will not "steal" a game by:
1. playing field position, by extension great special teams play
2. running the ball to use up the clock at the end of the game
3. running the ball to use time of possession to limit the other teams chances and keep a team with a potent offense off the field.
4. Confuse opponents on defense and force them to use their time outs early so they are not available late in the game.

If you only have one plan to win a game, out scoring your opponent, and one idea to do that, "get better players", the opportunity to play winning football is wider for the other team than for DONU.

I desperately wish that older, wiser men would talk with Scott and his staff and refocus them on a broader approach to the game. Otherwise I do not see how, with the 2020 schedule we have winning season, despite the influx of very skilled new players. :(

GBR

I'm not even going to attempt to make any predictions about this team. I've learned my lesson over the last 3 years.

Generically speaking, in terms of "where this program is" in terms of culture, trajectory, ... i.e. everything but W-L record... I think we're in a much better place than we were 2 years ago. But who could have predicted all the crazy obstacles that the team has faced? Starting with the Akron game, where they lost that "confidence builder" game. Then the injury to AM against CU, etc... It looked like we were on track at the end of 2018, but no one figured the O line would take a step back, the WRs wouldn't step up, MW's troubles, the effect on team chemistry, etc.

And we will face an uphill battle in 2020, starting with a Purdue team that's always looking to knock us off (what they think is) our high horse.

Right now we are a team like what Okie St. or Mizzou or KSU were so many years. So much potential and talent, able to knock off any team if they're not careful... but they just don't have that killer mentality that pushes them to greatness over an entire season. Sooner or later, if everyone "trusts the process", we're going to have that breakthrough victory that kicks off the winning culture. But can we be patient enough to see it through?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back