• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What New York Was Like in the Early ’80s — Hour by Hour

HUSKER HOT SAUCE

Be Yourself - Everyone Else Is Already Taken
10 Year Member
These are some entertaining little snippets of famous peoples lives, who lived it up big in New York in the early 80's.
I was still living at home. I was just out of high school. I was preparing that summer to start my first semester at St. John’s University. We recorded at a studio called Greene Street Recording Studio on Greene Street between Houston and Prince. I will never forget the day, because I didn’t tell my mother and father that I was going to make a record. I just left the house on a Sunday, went to make the record. And I got in trouble because I didn’t get home until like 1 or 2 in the morning. When me and Run would go to each other’s houses and rap together, we would go into the attic. And when my mother asked me where I was at, I just said, “Oh, I was in the attic.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/t-magazine/24-hours-new-york-city-1980s-life.html

See...
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/t-magazine/24-hours-new-york-city-1980s-life.html
12:00 p.m.
David Salle, artist
The election of Ronald Reagan in 1980 is sometimes used as a marker of the beginning of the end of the art world as it was then known, as if the two were somehow related, as if an election ushered in some new aesthetic permission, a new vulgarity, which is really a kind of negative magical thinking. I doubt if many artists experienced it that way. Everyone I knew hated Reagan and couldn’t wait for him to get out of office. I remember being in someone’s loft — it might have been [artist] Brian Hunt’s — with a group of friends, watching the inauguration on a little black-and-white television. The silence, as they say, was deafening. No one could believe that this B-actor was about to occupy the White House.

Last edited:
12:00 am
Diane von Furstenberg, fashion designer
I was in my early 30s, and I had Tatiana and Alex, my children, so I didn’t stay out until dawn like I had in the 1970s. But at midnight, yes, I was often out. Studio 54 was over after the owners, Steve [Rubell] and Ian [Schrager], got arrested in 1980, so we all migrated to the Mudd Club, on White Street. Or I would throw a party... ... I suppose I should have loved New York; things were very good for me. But truthfully, I hated it. You could feel it turning, the tackiness beginning to creep in. Reagan really ruined it for me. And shoulder pads. And the hair. And “Dynasty.” I’ve never gotten over “Dynasty.” And then people started dying. I realized I had to leave. By 1984, I’d put my kids in boarding school and left to live in Paris for five years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back