• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What game to watch next?

So I’ve been on leave with a broken foot the last 3 weeks and I’ve got another week to go before I’m most likely released to go back to work. I’ve discovered several classic games on youtube beside the NC games. Including part 1 and 2 of Husker Century I’ve watched
2010 Missouri
71 Oklahoma
78 Oklahoma
77 Alabama, video was terrible
92 Colorado
14 Miami

Haven’t decided what to watch next.
01 Oklahoma

The 2000 Fiesta Bowl is an underrated classic if you ask me. The last truly elite Husker team beating the hell out of the defending national champions. Mike Brown, Carlos Polk, Dominic Raiola, Matt Davison, Ralph Brown, Eric Crouch - all star team.
That was a great game, watched it in New York during a ski trip.

I was home all of last week with sick kids, so I've also been watching a bunch of old games. I've had a morbid fascination with the heartbreaking losses, but here are some of the wins that I've watched recently and really enjoyed:

1982 Iowa @ Nebraska (keep an eye out for "Bobby" Stoops playing Safety for the Hawkeyes and having the unenviable task of trying to cover Irving Fryar):

1983 Kickoff Classic: Penn State vs Nebraska:

1976 Bluebonnet Bowl: Texas Tech vs Nebraska (this one is long, but cool, because it has the original commercials):

1980 Sun Bowl: Mississippi State vs Nebraska:

1987 Sugar Bowl: LSU vs Nebraska:

1983 Orange Bowl: LSU vs Nebraska: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce-OLUju4_U

1974 (December 31) Sugar Bowl: Florida vs Nebraska (not great quality): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QSdb3WFbI0

1972 Orange Bowl: #2 Alabama vs #1 Nebraska: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgVWTqxojGA

Besides the last one, those are some games that people don't talk much about anymore. Other than the first two and the last one, they're all close games, too.

If you want some great games that will still break your heart, decades later, let me know, and I'll give you a list of those, too.

I was at that Bluebonnet bowl game. Got to go in the locker room cause my uncle was friends with Monte Kiffin. I remember that game cause the Tech kicker had a fake leg and Vince Ferragamo was quarterback.

I was at that Bluebonnet bowl game. Got to go in the locker room cause my uncle was friends with Monte Kiffin. I remember that game cause the Tech kicker had a fake leg and Vince Ferragamo was quarterback.
I was five years old. I remember my dad watching it because I remember asking him repeatedly, "What's a Bluebonnet Bowl?" Apparently I used that phrase a lot for the next several months.

Anyone remember the '77 Liberty Bowl? I spent summer vacation in '93 working in inner-city Chicago (with Ben Sasse, coincidentally), and I spent 4 weeks working at the summer learning program for the Lawndale Community Church, which is located in Lawndale, which is in Chicago's west-side. The head pastor of the church was a wonderful man named Pastor Carey Casey. Not only did he grow up in Virginia and play for the team depicted in Remember the Titans (he's been a lifelong friend of Herman Boone), and not only were he and his wife good friends of Mr. and Mrs. Reggie White ("The six-million-dollar man sleeps on my hide-away bed when they come to visit, and I'm telling you: it's NOT comfortable"), but, more importantly, he was a stud running back for UNC, who won the ACC in 1977, so he played against Nebraska in the '77 Liberty Bowl. When I met him, it was the summer of '93, so the mid-90s magic hadn't happened yet. When I asked him what he remembered about playing against Nebraska, he said, "Well, we went in at halftime up by a touchdown, but then they beat us like dogs in the second half. I wanted that game to be over so bad. They were just ferocious. That fourth quarter wasn't fun."

I'd love to watch that game if anyone knows how to find it online. I'm sure that I watched it as a 6-year-old, but please forgive me for not remembering any of the details.

Last edited:

I was five years old. I remember my dad watching it because I remember asking him repeatedly, "What's a Bluebonnet Bowl?" Apparently I used that phrase a lot for the next several months.

Anyone remember the '77 Liberty Bowl? I spent summer vacation in '93 working in inner-city Chicago (with Ben Sasse, coincidentally), and I spent 4 weeks working at the summer learning program for the Lawndale Community Church, which is located in Lawndale, which is in Chicago's west-side. The head pastor of the church was a wonderful man named Pastor Carey Casey. Not only did he grow up in Virginia and play for the team depicted in Remember the Titans (he's been a lifelong friend of Herman Boone), and not only were he and his wife good friends of Mr. and Mrs. Reggie White ("The six-million-dollar man sleeps on my hide-away bed when they come to visit, and I'm telling you: it's NOT comfortable"), but, more importantly, he was a stud running back for UNC, who won the ACC in 1977, so he played against Nebraska in the '77 Liberty Bowl. When I met him, it was the summer of '93, so the mid-90s magic hadn't happened yet. When I asked him what he remembered about playing against Nebraska, he said, "Well, we went in at halftime up by a touchdown, but then they beat us like dogs in the second half. I wanted that game to be over so bad. They were just ferocious. That fourth quarter wasn't fun."

I'd love to watch that game if anyone knows how to find it online. I'm sure that I watched it as a 6-year-old, but please forgive me for not remembering any of the details.

;)

Agreed Fort Husker, that 2000 bowl game saw us dominate running the ball like maybe never before... we had back to back drives of 99 and about 96 yards, with 28 straight runs, 3rd qtr, we just jammed it down their throat, that was game over after that. That is my favorite example of Husker power right there. that was the game against tennessee, 2000 i think, or coulda been 99

Last edited:
30zi0h.jpg

Apparently not.

I'm better now, but I still won't go to New Orleans.

I figured since we would miss you if you stayed away, the city of New Orleans would miss you, too. But I have been wrong before . . .

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back