• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What do Riley and Company

They need to play better defensively than they have the last 2 weeks. That is the big thing. I think the offense is doing some good things they need to just finish.

I just don't think Riley gets it it is not good enough to say we will be better next year just give us one more year. That loss to NIU looms large.

Show improvement in offense, defense, special teams and coaching. Show that the players are bought in and understanding in their assignment discipline and not act like every game is the first game with a new staff. Have some fun... it's football damnit! Tackle like the guy carrying the ball just ran off with your girlfriend's purse. Block like the guy in front of you is trying rob your house. Diaco... get out of the press box. Langsdorf... volunteer to give up the play calling. Riley... tell your team they still have a chance to kick some @$$ and make a good bowl and to prove everyone wrong. Not much but that would be a nice start.

Langsdorf needs to realize that he's going to vanilla himself and his boss out of a job. He needs to go watch the first half of the IL game again and watch what mixing up the playcalling with some misdirection, roll-outs & boots, and hitting some TE's underneath does to put a defense on its heels a bit more. He calls too many games like he's in the NFL or has NFL talent and he just doesnt overmatch anyone at the skill positions to where that can work, especially if you're that plain Jane.

Defense? It's time to get aggressive and let the chips fall where they may. Playing off at the corners and rushing 3 or 4 is letting the offenses dictate the game. I'd rather see the Blackshirts go down giving everything they have and trying to force some mistakes than get picked apart.

Stop playing it safe and go balls out aggressive. I know it's just words but I hate the defense playing soft and the offense being simple and vanilla. Mix it up. Use misdirection. Be unpredictable. Take some risks. At this stage he doesn't really have a lot to lose.

Last edited:

I would spend practice time for the offense working exclusively on run-blocking and screen passes. Get the tight ends involved in the game. Put a full back in and let him lead block for our I back.

Wishful thinking I know.

We'll be 4 - 4 .... after that, ?
I'll believe that when I see it.

To the point of the OP, I believe @ramsker spelled it out exactly right.

Offensively we have got to get more creative in the run game. I think TL can be a good QB if we establish the run game and open up the PA. Against a team like OSU, who is more talented at virtually every position, you need to be imaginative with how you attack them and keep them off balance. With DL, I can sit on my couch 3000 miles away and tell my girlfriend EXACTLY what play is coming, to the point that she gets annoyed, and Im a complete nobody. If I was a half-way experienced defensive coordinator, I would be salivating going into Lincoln.

Defense needs to attack. I understand the idea of playing a little off inside the 20s and avoiding giving up the big play. Usually its tough for any team to consistently generate long, sustained scoring drives. But when an opponent is generating long, sustained scoring drives every time they touch the ball, its time to go attack them and force a mistake rather than wait for one. Not saying it would've changed last Saturday's outcome, but at the very least it would show some freaking pride.

Last edited:
So I was out of town over the weekend, just watched the first 3 scores (had to see for myself if it was as bad as bad as some on here say) and I have to say, the first 3 scores of OSU were handed to them by a couple of things:
1. Lack of pressure on qb - JT literally stood there and picked us apart.
2. Lack of contain, outside LB and ends did not do there jobs very well.
3. piss poor tackling - just about each running play that went anywhere for OSU in those first 3 drives, the back or JT broke a tackle.

I think we could have stopped the drives had we been able to pressure JT and have some coverage on the RCVRs.

Some things also stood out to me, the underclassmen on the field are starting to make some plays, Bootle, Spielman, etc are contributing.

For some reason Diaco, is keeping this defense very vanilla, and it is hurting him on the lack of pressure, etc.

I am with some others on here (minority I know) that think with the recruits Riley has been pulling, and with bringing in Diaco, I think with some changes to OL coaching, he deserves at least another year, and Moos needs to state that fact very soon, to keep recruiting at a maximum.

One thing I'd do is ask Dave Rimington to invite the O-line and tight ends (without their coaches) down to Misty's for a little mid-season recognition dinner. I love Mistys, even just walking in the door, that delicious smell and even the sizzle just puts you in the mood.

I'd have him say how proud of them he is that they've improved so much in their pass blocking, especially by communicating and picking up on their assignments, but that he mostly wants to talk about them about their run blocking.

Then he'd give them a few minutes to look at their menus and right before the waitress starts to take their order, Dave would stand up to speak to them all: "It's true in run blocking you have to get your assignment right, but you also have to play like you're hungry and play with aggression. Now I told you all this is a recognition dinner and it is, because at this moment you're going to recognize that you're not eating steak tonight. I'm eating steak tonight. You're all going home now on the team bus instead. You haven't earned it yet.

"Now I'm pretty sure this experience is going to make you recognize number 1, that you gotta dominate first if the team's gonna eat and then recognize number 2, my face on the guy across from you when you line up against Purdue, so you'll hate him so much it makes you want to pound him into the dirt."

Then Rimington'd pause and then ask if anyone had any questions and when they didn't he'd say, "Good. You shouldn't have any questions. What you've got to do is simple. You already know that. And to tell you the truth, you haven't earned the right to ask any questions yet. Now leave."

Then he'd turn to the waitress and order a king cut prime rib, double order, and their very best bottle of cabernet. And when he left he'd give the waitress the same tip she'd have gotten if they'd all eaten, because it isn't her fault we can't run block yet.

And then he'd send the bill to Mike Cavanaugh.

Last edited:

Riley stated when he made the change on defense to a 3-4 that it wasn't done as a rebuilding process and he expected results immediately. Apparently Diaco didn't get that message as he says he just got here and this defense rebuilding is going to take time.
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_9e52df9d-e889-5279-bb09-e764e10a031d.html

Bottom line is Riley either misjudged the complexity of a switch to the 3-4 with the players on the roster, or hired the wrong guy. In either case it was his call and he blew it.

Coincidentally the 3-4 now has us sitting at 3-4.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back