• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What conference should Nebraska be in?

Forgetting money/academics, and focusing JUST on football, which conference should Nebraska be in?

• Total voters

Football is not the university; it is part of the university. So you cannot forget academics, prestige, grants, research, etc., all of which are enhanced by affiliation with the Big Ten.
Let's not pretend that Nebraska football is just another college sports team. The entire state revolves around Husker football. It is special, unique, and the Big 10's actions have been unacceptable.

I never wanted to leave the Big XII to begin with.

Though I did hate TexA$$...
Still do.....

Unfortunately, I wasn’t contacted about the move to the B1G, so I had to go along for the ride.

I haven't embraced it yet as it has felt forced at times, strange throughout, and like a stepchild.. Who wants that?

I’m not advocating a move now, but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings. But if that’s the direction we need to go, it certainly needs to be done with a good long look at all angles and some guarantees of not getting the crap stick.
Anyone who doesn’t think we got a screw job coming to the B1G outside of $$$$ isn’t seeing what I’m seeing.
We had to wait 6 years to be vested..??? While Maryland was subsidized..???
I could go on and on..
Not a fan, and even less of one now.

Now get off my lawn.....

Last edited:
Anyone who says Big XII is smoking some crack. The Big XII is JV level compared to the B1G in almost every metric that would benefit NU and the state's university system.

chuckle.. I don't smoke, at all. I have not voted yet, but I do LEAN towards Big 12. and the recruiting guys can correct me if I am wrong, but it seems it has been harder recruiting since moving to the Big 10. Money isn't everything if you can't get your program going again.

We did recruit well while in the big 12, could be because of TO, even after TO. Was it conference? tough to say, but it sure does seem to be worse in the Big10.

These are not hard line positions, anyone can correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Independent vote. Revise NBC contract from ND to UNL

xqs3orahg3uxspkhufn0

Last edited:

Holy cow I am shocked this many want to go back to the Big 12. I was a lurker but glued to this site during the last year. I remember nearly universal support for the move. Maybe not Scott Frost universal but pretty close. The number of "I never wanted NU to go to the Big 10" posters is interesting.

Holy cow I am shocked this many want to go back to the Big 12. I was a lurker but glued to this site during the last year. I remember nearly universal support for the move. Maybe not Scott Frost universal but pretty close. The number of "I never wanted NU to go to the Big 10" posters is interesting.
The Big 12 has never pulled anything remotely close to what the Big 10 has in the last week.

Initially, I was against moving to the B1G. I grew up with the Big 8 (but not fond of the Big XII). But when the academics people at UNL started to tell of the opportunities in research, grants, working together with the other schools on joint projects that would never happen in the Big XII, plus the extra money, it sounded to good to pass up. And still does.

From an athletics standpoint, the expanded B1G (from the original 10) is not set up as "fan friendly". Most trips to away games could be done in a days drive. Not so in in the B1G.

The chair of the B1G Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases is Dr. Chris Kratochvil, (the Associate Vice Chancellor for Clinical Research and Professor of Psychiatry and Pediatrics at the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC), as well as the Executive Director of the Global Center for Health Security at UNMC and Nebraska Medicine). When he was asked about the B1G decision, he declined to answer and referred all questions to the B1G. It makes me wonder if he agreed with the decision or how many dissenters there were from the voters.

I would have loved to have seen a roll call vote from from all participants involved. I'm guessing it was closer than the announcement sounded. I wonder if some of the other universities are quietly cheering on UNL, but present a united front if it blows up in Nebraska's face. If Nebraska would have been granted a chance to play, would any other university have tried to arrange an "open schedule"?

I don't believe the entire schedule would have been played (I doubt our first game would have been played, being in NJ), but I thought trying to get 1, 2, or 3+games was possible. I liked the way the conference only schedule was stretched out and didn't just delay the start. It would allow for schedules to be altered and maybe some make up games.

What I don't understand is why this decision had to be made 3 weeks before game week. I thought we had time for a final decision to be made, in the manner that B1G, ACC, and SEC are doing. But I wouldn't have put fans in the stands, allowing only those needed to play, coach, and broadcast the games, on radio and TV. This would allow changes in scheduling to affect the fewest amount of people involved, but the games would have still been played.

Having rambled on with all that, I still think over all, we are best off in the B1G. I'm just not ready to apologize to Kevin Warren just yet. As for Desmond Howard, I would like to know the individual thoughts coming from the Michigan camp, and if they completely agreed with the B1G decision, and his response to them.

A lot of interesting points as to why NU should never considering doing anything but the Big 10.

• $50 million a year - yes, but other conferences aren't exactly paying chicken feed. And how much of that $50 mil. do you get this year with no football?
  • The Big 10 brings us prestige. Bullsh** already.
  • The Big 12 is Texas-centric. OK. Every conference is someone centric. As we've found out.
  • It wouldn't be smart to leave a conference after just 10 years. Baloney. Things move fast nowadays. NU should do what's best for NU. If NU decides its in its best interests short and long term to pursue another conference (or not), then that's what it does. It doesn't matter what happened 10 years ago.

The Big 12 has never pulled anything remotely close to what the Big 10 has in the last week.
Probably not but I still can't comprehend the support for going back to the Big 12. I didn't think I would ever see the day that Nebraska fans were willing to look past the sins of Bebee, the nard grab by Texas A&M, penalty gate against A&M, bad receiving end on votes, leaving KC for the Championship Game, a Texas coup to leave for the Pac and us behind, Pledge your Allegiance to the Conference, The Longhorn Network, supposed death threats from Nebraska being claimed by Bebee, and last but not least NU-Texas in the Big 12 Championship. Would anyone have ever believed 10 years ago we would entertain this thought. Me personally I hate the football they play and don't think this has a chance in hell of happening. Something about a fall Saturday in Big 10 country really gets my blood pumping.

I dunno about that, they pulled some pretty stupid stuff back in the day. But it remains quite a viable conference where all of our traditional rivals reside.

Hello! Join the club...

GET TICKETS

Back