• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What about Next Season?

MartyHuskerFan

Tired and True
Dont hate me, but I was wondering this last year when we were discussing Miles getting only a one year contract. I think it is worthy of some consideration as we witness this great husker season.

This is going to be the greatest Husker Basketball season ever. I predict a top 3 finish in the B1G and a couple wins in the dance. That may be a conservative prediction, these guys look good.

But here are some questions that I have looking forward to next season:
  1. Should I just shut up about the future and enjoy the present?
  2. Are my projections for this season reasonable?
  3. Will Roby decide to stay for his senior season?
  4. Will Heiman develop into an All-conference talent?
  5. Is the recruiting we've seen so far going to produce All-conference caliber players?
  6. How much will the team drop off when the top 3 scorers all graduate?
  7. Will Moos do something mid season this year to show support for Miles long term?
  8. What are the prospects for getting some kind of Palmer/Copeland level transfer for next season?
  9. Is it acceptable for Nebraska to go from their success this year to another 3-5 year post season drought? What is the possibility of that occurring?

Dont hate me, but I was wondering this last year when we were discussing Miles getting only a one year contract. I think it is worthy of some consideration as we witness this great husker season.

This is going to be the greatest Husker Basketball season ever. I predict a top 3 finish in the B1G and a couple wins in the dance. That may be a conservative prediction, these guys look good.

yes.
    shut your mouth.
    Probably not
    Maybe - he's better than anticipated.
  5. Is the recruiting we've seen so far going to produce All-conference caliber players?
    Green and Burke are going to be fun.
    Top of Preseason Big 10 to Top of Second Half of Big 10
  7. Will Moos do something mid season this year to show support for Miles long term?
    No - he's said he does that after the season, if he changes now he's opening himself up
  8. What are the prospects for getting some kind of Palmer/Copeland level transfer for next season?
    Other than Dachon Burke? will have to wait. Very few Copelands out there.
  9. Is it acceptable for Nebraska to go from their success this year to another 3-5 year post season drought? What is the possibility of that occurring?
    see 2
tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Last edited:

1. Yes. Well, yes/no, enjoy but we need more Husker basketball talk haha

2. I think a top 3 finish in the Big 10 and a Sweet 16 appearance is reasonable. This group could do that if they are seeded good and had favorable matchups. I will settle for Top 4 and 1 win in the tourney though.

3. If he’s a projected first round pick, it would be silly for him to stay. He may not have the stats but he’s got “potential” and body type in spades. If he’s second round material, I would come back and be the man next year and get back into the 1st round. I think there’s a 75% chance this is his last year though.

4. I don’t think so. For one, that’s really hard to do given how many studs are at Michigan and Michigan State. Plus, Miles system isn’t ran through the post, he’s been doing a lot of pick and rolls, but ultimately, Miles’ system wants athletic combo guards slashing on the dribble-drive. I think he will be good though. Like a 12-14 points and 7 rebounds a game good.

5. I hope so. Miles offered a couple really highly-touted players recently banking on this potential big season. Maybe everything breaks for us and we capitalize.

6. Probably a lot. Burke will come in and score a lot right away. So will Green. Need guys like Nana, Brady, and Amir to develop. Also, we have room for a mid-season transfer and there will be interest among grad transfers if we have a good season.

7. I hope so but I would bank on Miles getting extended after the season. If Miles makes the NCAA tournament this year, even if he loses the first round, he should get a 4 or 5 year deal.

8. Good. Transfers have been very successful here. I think Burke is going to show out next year and I’m pretty sure we will find another good one. I just hope they keep working out because odds are, some don’t.

9. It could very well happen. I’d like to see Miles get more consistent. Even on off years we should push for 18+ wins. If he has a big season I think he’s earned the right to try.

2. I think a top 3 finish in the Big 10 and a Sweet 16 appearance is reasonable. This group could do that if they are seeded good and had favorable matchups. I will settle for Top 4 and 1 win in the tourney though.

I feel the same. Sweet 16 is attainable but imo, a win in the tourney is a must-have. Conference-wise, it all depends on how the conference plays out. So far the Big 10 has been lighting it up in non-conference. It might be a much improved league which will help toughen up the Huskers for tournament time.

3. If he’s a projected first round pick, it would be silly for him to stay. He may not have the stats but he’s got “potential” and body type in spades. If he’s second round material, I would come back and be the man next year and get back into the 1st round. I think there’s a 75% chance this is his last year though.

I think it all depends on what he finds out from the NBA evaluators in the off-season. If he is a late-1st projection but can improve on things to make him a top half of the 1st round guy the next year, that could pay off for Roby by staying.

He can work on his weak fouls now although the last game seems that the refs had it in for him.

tongue firmly planted in cheek.
Yours or mine? Mine is surely not. Miles may win some CoY awards and still not be under contract for next season. Where's all the chatter?

My questions are still valid. I will stop now, as I too want to enjoy this season, but I wont be forgetting the struggles before and I wont stop asking what we think is changing for the future. GBR

Just enjoy it. This could be lightning in a bottle or it could be the start of something big for NU. Probably somewhere in between. The fact is you just don't get the level of experienced talent that NU has this season often...if ever. NU struck gold in that respect and what they are doing so far this year shows what's possible when that happens. Hopefully, Miles' recruiting...which SEEMS to have improved...pays off. NU isn't as good as they are right now because of superior coaching. That will never be the case with Miles. NU is light years more experienced and talented than anyone they've come across so far this year and that will be the case (maybe not light years) most nights this season. Enjoy it. This is setting up to be the kind of season that results in banners hanging from rafters.

Just enjoy it. This could be lightning in a bottle or it could be the start of something big for NU. Probably somewhere in between. The fact is you just don't get the level of experienced talent that NU has this season often...if ever. NU struck gold in that respect and what they are doing so far this year shows what's possible when that happens. Hopefully, Miles' recruiting...which SEEMS to have improved...pays off. NU isn't as good as they are right now because of superior coaching. That will never be the case with Miles. NU is light years more experienced and talented than anyone they've come across so far this year and that will be the case (maybe not light years) most nights this season. Enjoy it. This is setting up to be the kind of season that results in banners hanging from rafters.
For a Creighton fan, that is a pretty fair, insightful, and probably accurate analysis. :nod:

My tongue in cheek, didn't mean to demean your questions. So much of what you ask is unknowable and what people have been talking about here for several years.

Is Miles a good coach? Is he good enough? Is he really, really good?

Can Nebraska ever be good for two years in a row?

How much does the sun weigh?

I'm just going to enjoy what looks like a compelling and unique team in Nebraska basketball history and not worry about next year.

Having said that, next year will likely be a step back but maybe not as much as some might expect. A lot will depend on if Roby stays. If he does, Roby, Burke, Green, Allen and Akenten should provide ample scoring ability. Heiman will have had a year in the weight room and should be a solid player. Adding a PF, whether by conventional recruiting or grad transfer, will be important. It would be great to find another Copeland but those guys don't grow on trees.

My tongue in cheek, didn't mean to demean your questions. So much of what you ask is unknowable and what people have been talking about here for several years.
Is Miles a good coach? Is he good enough? Is he really, really good?
Can Nebraska ever be good for two years in a row?
How much does the sun weigh?
Just so we don't have to talk about it for another several years...
1.989 × 10^30 kg :Cautious:
Okay, there's one down.

what about next season you say?.....i answered that question after the NU exhibition vs Wayne St. Nothing has changed so nothing has changed. same story different verse. GBR.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back