• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Werner Park possible site of Big 10 Tourny

Nebugeater

Junior Varsity
20 Year Member
It sounds like the BIg 10 is at least considering Werner park as a possible site for the Big 10 Baseball tourny starting in 2013.

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/Big_Ten_Looking_At_Werner_Park_139235833.html

There could soon be more places to see college baseball in the metro area. Werner Park is being considered as a possible site of the Big Ten baseball tournament starting in 2013.
Big Ten officials toured the park Monday and heard Sarpy County's proposal to host the event from 2013 through 2016. Werner Park is one of nearly a dozen other sites being considered for the baseball tournament. A final decision is expected this spring or summer.
<!-- $cms.websiteSection.disableStory --><!-- begin ad tag--><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
<!-- End ad tag -->Sarpy County Administrator Mark Wayne says the Big Ten prefers a neutral site. The tournament this year is being held at the Hunting Park in Columbus, Ohio, the home park of the Triple-A Columbus Clippers.
The Big Ten baseball tournament usually runs around the Memorial Day weekend. It starts on Wednesday and finishes up on Saturday or Sunday. It usually includes at least 10 games.

Last edited:

On the one hand...it's not much of a road trip....on the other hand, I could actually go to the Tourney and not just read about it! I like it!!

Every time I look at this thread, I think it says "Water Park"....the more I think about it...a Water Park might be a cool site for the B1G tourney too! :Biggrin:

Seeing how at the time of your post the thread was 24 min old just how many times had you looked at it. :Biggrin: I know I start GREAT threads but you need to find other interests! ;)

Every time I look at this thread, I think it says "Water Park"....the more I think about it...a Water Park might be a cool site for the B1G tourney too! :Biggrin:

Werner Park? What the???

What does the Big 10 have against baseball? First they have rules that make it impossible for programs to compete.

Now they'd consider Werner Park over Ameritrade? Now, maybe Ameritrade is committed for that weekend...I don't know. But what an awful place for fans. Yeah, it's a nice park from what I heard but there's NOTHING for fans to do before and after. It's in a CORNFIELD. Haymarket makes 100x more sense ...at least there's something for fans to do.

Then again...does anybody go?

the MVC tourney is locking into Ameritrade every other year (alternating with Wichita), so that is probably a consideration.

Werner Park? What the???

What does the Big 10 have against baseball? First they have rules that make it impossible for programs to compete.

Now they'd consider Werner Park over Ameritrade? Now, maybe Ameritrade is committed for that weekend...I don't know. But what an awful place for fans. Yeah, it's a nice park from what I heard but there's NOTHING for fans to do before and after. It's in a CORNFIELD. Haymarket makes 100x more sense ...at least there's something for fans to do.

Then again...does anybody go?

I read this and then googled Werner Park...I can't imagine they can actually call it "In the Metro Area." That looks closer to Louisville than anything in Omaha.

I read this and then googled Werner Park...I can't imagine they can actually call it "In the Metro Area." That looks closer to Louisville than anything in Omaha.

It's technically in the metro area...not too far from Cabella's off the interstate. But it's nowhere near anything fans would want to be close to.

Last edited:
Good for Omaha, but it would be a bad decision by the B1G. Like bilsker said, there's nothing for people to do out there, besides the game. Plus, IMO, it would make the B1G look beneath the MVC, if they were playing their tourney's at the same time, and the MVC is playing at TD.

Good for Omaha, but it would be a bad decision by the B1G. Like bilsker said, there's nothing for people to do out there, besides the game. Plus, IMO, it would make the B1G look beneath the MVC, if they were playing their tourney's at the same time, and the MVC is playing at TD.

As far as baseball goes the Big 10 IS beneath the MVC probably.

As far as baseball goes the Big 10 IS beneath the MVC probably.

It is, but it's still the B1G. I'm sure the conference would like to make a bigger splash in baseball, but you don't do that by playing in the "minor" league park in Omaha, while a lesser known conference is playing in THE college baseball park.

It is, but it's still the B1G. I'm sure the conference would like to make a bigger splash in baseball, but you don't do that by playing in the "minor" league park in Omaha, while a lesser known conference is playing in THE college baseball park.

I beleive they are playing in a minor league park right now and for the past few years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back