• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Well THIS is certainly interesting (and this guy knows his number crunching)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he take into account all the other Big 10 fans in the NY/DC markets? Wouldn't their respective sizes also bolster demand for the BTN in those areas?

This guy's numbers are ridiculous. He lists 1.2 million Husker fans, yet Nebraska's population is currently around 1.8 million.

Ask yourself if there are 600,000 people in Nebraska who DON'T LIKE the Huskers. That's basically Two Lincolns full of Husker Haters buried within our own state? Furthermore it fails to account for the legions of Husker fans (like myself) who don't live in the motherland.

It gets even stranger when you consider other states/teams. I realize states like Indiana have split loyalties - Hoosiers, Boilers, and Irish - and eastern states like Maryland and New Jersey are totally fractured among several college and pro teams, but overall the concept is still completely absurd:

Are we REALLY supposed to believe that out of nearly 10 million citizens, more than half of Michiganders don't care about EITHER the Wolverines or Spartans? Are we REALLY supposed to believe that 88% of Illinois citizens ignore both the Illini AND Wildcats? There is an entire hidden city the size of New York within Ohio that hates the Buckeyes. Who knew?

There are still 84 million fans within the Big Ten footprint. This hack would have you believe that 65 million of them (77%!) have no interest in any Big Ten team.

This was the method he used:
"The analysis was conducted in two steps. First, I estimated the number of college football fans in each of the United States’ 210 media markets, multiplying their populations by a factor based on the number of people who conducted Google searches for the term “college footballâ€￾ in each area.
Next, the college football fans in each market were further divided between F.B.S. schools, based on the results of an Internet-based survey called the Common Census Sports Map. Thus, every college football fan in America was, in theory at least, mapped to his or her favorite team."

It obviously has some flaws but I doubt it's too far off. Look at the BCS championship game the last 2 years. For 2011 it had 27M viewers and 24M in 2012. I know that not every college football fan watches the championship but that has to be a fairly high percentage. Even if only 50% of CFB fans watched the championship game that means only bout 50M total fans which is roughly 16% of the U.S. population.

Last edited:
I don't know if I have ever done a Google search for "college football." I know the websites I want to go to for information, or I use the links on the HuskerMax front page (or the links in Dirk's Mad Chatter column, for example).

This was the method he used:
"The analysis was conducted in two steps. First, I estimated the number of college football fans in each of the United States’ 210 media markets, multiplying their populations by a factor based on the number of people who conducted Google searches for the term “college football” in each area.
Next, the college football fans in each market were further divided between F.B.S. schools, based on the results of an Internet-based survey called the Common Census Sports Map. Thus, every college football fan in America was, in theory at least, mapped to his or her favorite team."

It obviously has some flaws but I doubt it's too far off. Look at the BCS championship game the last 2 years. For 2011 it had 27M viewers and 24M in 2012. I know that not every college football fan watches the championship but that has to be a fairly high percentage. Even if only 50% of CFB fans watched the championship game that means only bout 50M total fans which is roughly 16% of the U.S. population.

I don't know if I have ever done a Google search for "college football." I know the websites I want to go to for information, or I use the links on the HuskerMax front page (or the links in Dirk's Mad Chatter column, for example).

Well said!!!!
If I have to google "college football" am I really a fan of any team or am I just looking for water cooler talking points????

This guy's numbers are ridiculous. He lists 1.2 million Husker fans, yet Nebraska's population is currently around 1.8 million.

Ask yourself if there are 600,000 people in Nebraska who DON'T LIKE the Huskers. That's basically Two Lincolns full of Husker Haters buried within our own state? Furthermore it fails to account for the legions of Husker fans (like myself) who don't live in the motherland.

It gets even stranger when you consider other states/teams. I realize states like Indiana have split loyalties - Hoosiers, Boilers, and Irish - and eastern states like Maryland and New Jersey are totally fractured among several college and pro teams, but overall the concept is still completely absurd:

StatePopulationBig Ten TeamsTotal Big Ten FansDifference?
Illinois12.9 millionIllinois, Northwestern1.5 million11.4 million
Pennsylvania12.7 millionPenn State2.6 million10.1 million
Ohio11.5 millionOhio State3.2 million8.3 million
Michigan9.8 millionMichigan, Michigan State4.1 million5.7 million
New Jersey8.8 millionRutgers0.9 million7.9 million
Indiana6.5 millionIndiana, Purdue1.2 million5.3 million
Maryland5.8 millionMaryland0.4 million5.4 million
Wisconsin5.7 millionWisconsin1.4 million4.3 million
Minnesota5.3 millionMinnesota0.9 million4.4 million
Iowa3.1 millionIowa1.3 million1.8 million
Nebraska1.8 millionNebraska1.2 million0.6 million

<tbody>
</tbody>

Are we REALLY supposed to believe that out of nearly 10 million citizens, more than half of Michiganders don't care about EITHER the Wolverines or Spartans? Are we REALLY supposed to believe that 88% of Illinois citizens ignore both the Illini AND Wildcats? There is an entire hidden city the size of New York within Ohio that hates the Buckeyes. Who knew?

There are still 84 million fans within the Big Ten footprint. This hack would have you believe that 65 million of them (77%!) have no interest in any Big Ten team.

Actually your supposition is ridiculous and this guy's is probably pretty reasonable. I won't bother checking the demographic's but your assumptions about the number of Nebraska fans in the state are silly. Yes there are 1.8 million people here but over half of the population is female and, frankly I would guess that fewer than 10% of them are actually "fans." Sure they may wear red to work on Fridays during football season and predict scores at work...but are they watching the games closely as fans do? Yeah, they go to the games if their husband is a season ticket holder or their boyfriend wants to go. But, are they reading about the team, participating on Huskermax message boards? Naw...some are huge fans, some are casual fans only because their husband or boyfriend are...but most aren't really fans.

PS--I know this will bring a bunch of isolated "my wife or girlfriend" is the biggest fan in the world type reply's. Sure they are...

Actually your supposition is ridiculous and this guy's is probably pretty reasonable. I won't bother checking the demographic's but your assumptions about the number of Nebraska fans in the state are silly. Yes there are 1.8 million people here but over half of the population is female and, frankly I would guess that fewer than 10% of them are actually "fans." Sure they may wear red to work on Fridays during football season and predict scores at work...but are they watching the games closely as fans do? Yeah, they go to the games if their husband is a season ticket holder or their boyfriend wants to go. But, are they reading about the team, participating on Huskermax message boards? Naw...some are huge fans, some are casual fans only because their husband or boyfriend are...but most aren't really fans.

PS--I know this will bring a bunch of isolated "my wife or girlfriend" is the biggest fan in the world type reply's. Sure they are...

Thank you -- completely agree with you. Most people simply don't care about college football. It varies by state, but most people have other things that are more important in their lives, and certainly would not go out of their way to pay an extra ~$6/month for a cable channel.

It's not that they hate Nebraska/Ohio State/etc. They just don't care.

Last edited:

StatePopulationBig Ten TeamsTotal Big Ten FansDifference?
Illinois12.9 millionIllinois, Northwestern1.5 million11.4 million
Pennsylvania12.7 millionPenn State2.6 million10.1 million
Ohio11.5 millionOhio State3.2 million8.3 million
Michigan9.8 millionMichigan, Michigan State4.1 million5.7 million
New Jersey8.8 millionRutgers0.9 million7.9 million
Indiana6.5 millionIndiana, Purdue1.2 million5.3 million
Maryland5.8 millionMaryland0.4 million5.4 million
Wisconsin5.7 millionWisconsin1.4 million4.3 million
Minnesota5.3 millionMinnesota0.9 million4.4 million
Iowa3.1 millionIowa1.3 million1.8 million
Nebraska1.8 millionNebraska1.2 million0.6 million

<tbody>
</tbody>

His numbers are ridiculous? Yeah, just ask Fox News how bad he is at number crunching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back