• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Well THIS is certainly interesting (and this guy knows his number crunching)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

only thing that bothers me is there are now two more votes that won't think a lot like Nebraskan's possibly.

So, he estimates there are ~475K Maryland football fans in the country. Seems like quite a few people.

Then you see he has Colorado listed with ~495K fans. And we know what a rabid fan base CU offers.....

Although Rutgers and Maryland are in densely populated areas, they also compete against a number of other Division I football programs for fans and attention.

Moreover, affinity for college football is considerably lower in the Northeast than it is in the Midwest or the South. Thus, the teams have fewer fans than most other current Big Ten members.

So, he estimates there are ~475K Maryland football fans in the country. Seems like quite a few people.

Then you see he has Colorado listed with ~495K fans. And we know what a rabid fan base CU offers.....

The guy is a stat freak. Knows his stuff.

I, on the other hand ........

The high population may make it worth any risk taken; there's a big market for the taking. If they can craft a marketing campaign to boost college football fandom by even a couple percentage points, the payout could be huge.

I don't doubt his numbers. The guy needs to get out more often if you ask me.

I think part of the reasoning behind this was that the money generated for Rutgers and Maryland and the high profile exposure they will get by being part of the Big will help both programs improve. And with improvement comes more fans.

It doesn't matter if the people in these two markets watch the BigTen channel it's the fact that it becomes one of the channels on their cable package. They are paying for it even if they don't watch. The Big Ten Network just entered two of the biggest markets in the nation.
I predict Georgia Tech's Atlanta market will be targeted next...and who knows could UCLA be next?

Agarn, thanks for posting this article. Silver has a way with numbers.

My concern about the expansion is that it relies on the cable TV distribution model and I think technology may render that obsolete in the next decade. Media distribution is changing very rapidly. Just look at the music or newspaper businesses.

I really hope this works well for the Huskers, but I have some doubts.

Interesting description of NYC Area College Football Market... A lot like Texas IMO, which really meant the whole LHN idea was an ESPN boondoggle or some sort of subversive attempt to shake up College Football. The numbers just cannot work for anyone's favor. IMO it became the defacto B12 network but is correctly called the LHN.

I am disappointed that the B1G didn't go after Mizzou when the B-12 was going through changes. I would bet they would have preferred the B1G. I am surprised that Maryland has that poor of a following.

I agree the cable distribution model has to be limited in its future. I guess if it goes to essentially a PPV situation you can argue that this dilutes the revenue pool for an even split of revenue. However, you still need a critical mass to run the "network" and the B1G is pretty strong in that regard.

Last edited:

This guy's numbers are ridiculous. He lists 1.2 million Husker fans, yet Nebraska's population is currently around 1.8 million.

Ask yourself if there are 600,000 people in Nebraska who DON'T LIKE the Huskers. That's basically Two Lincolns full of Husker Haters buried within our own state? Furthermore it fails to account for the legions of Husker fans (like myself) who don't live in the motherland.

It gets even stranger when you consider other states/teams. I realize states like Indiana have split loyalties - Hoosiers, Boilers, and Irish - and eastern states like Maryland and New Jersey are totally fractured among several college and pro teams, but overall the concept is still completely absurd:

StatePopulationBig Ten TeamsTotal Big Ten FansDifference?
Illinois12.9 millionIllinois, Northwestern1.5 million11.4 million
Pennsylvania12.7 millionPenn State2.6 million10.1 million
Ohio11.5 millionOhio State3.2 million8.3 million
Michigan9.8 millionMichigan, Michigan State4.1 million5.7 million
New Jersey8.8 millionRutgers0.9 million7.9 million
Indiana6.5 millionIndiana, Purdue1.2 million5.3 million
Maryland5.8 millionMaryland0.4 million5.4 million
Wisconsin5.7 millionWisconsin1.4 million4.3 million
Minnesota5.3 millionMinnesota0.9 million4.4 million
Iowa3.1 millionIowa1.3 million1.8 million
Nebraska1.8 millionNebraska1.2 million0.6 million

<tbody>
</tbody>

Are we REALLY supposed to believe that out of nearly 10 million citizens, more than half of Michiganders don't care about EITHER the Wolverines or Spartans? Are we REALLY supposed to believe that 88% of Illinois citizens ignore both the Illini AND Wildcats? There is an entire hidden city the size of New York within Ohio that hates the Buckeyes. Who knew?

There are still 84 million fans within the Big Ten footprint. This hack would have you believe that 65 million of them (77%!) have no interest in any Big Ten team.

there are other things to do in life than football or big ten... ;) so says my sister....she's weird. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back